economist_robinson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jon of Than)
Me too, it's just a beautiful place. good distance from the main arts section...not too far, but not so close you feel like you can't get away. you could literally roll to swallowgate from st salvators...

...thing is, i don't think i can afford catered accomodation.

My parents are giving me a bit of money towards it, but mainly I'm just going to work my ass off during the summer. I was thinking in second year to go into self catered new accommodation which is far far cheaper, so it will even out over the years!
Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
DRA is the new self catered accomodation isnt it? i was looking on the site...it isnt much cheaper. you'd have to be in some of the older ones i think to get the drop in price. i want to go self catered, but i just really want to be in a beautiful building...not a new one tbh. that is so shallow...guess it doesnt really matter when stone is the object?
lisa_xx
Report 11 years ago
yea maybe it is because im not from the mainland. yea i will b a bit tricky for me constantly havin to get trains etc n flights for the first time to st a! im kinda scared of gettin lost! i do it very easily! its for chemistry! wt subjects u applyin/got a offer for?
economist_robinson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
DRA is the new self catered accomodation isnt it? i was looking on the site...it isnt much cheaper. you'd have to be in some of the older ones i think to get the drop in price. i want to go self catered, but i just really want to be in a beautiful building...not a new one tbh. that is so shallow...guess it doesnt really matter when stone is the object?
I think the cheapest is 2k a year - I meant one of those buildings. I really want to stay in an old hall (shallow maybe!) I wish it was self catered though as I LOVE to cook! I convinced myself that I wanted to be a chef for a long while but then found economics was my calling Give into what you desire once in a while!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by economist_robinson)
I think the cheapest is 2k a year - I meant one of those buildings. I really want to stay in an old hall (shallow maybe!) I wish it was self catered though as I LOVE to cook! I convinced myself that I wanted to be a chef for a long while but then found economics was my calling Give into what you desire once in a while!
yeah the prospectus says the cheapest is 2k, but its at odds with the website. i guess we'll find out when we get the application pack for accomodation? that's one of the things for me, i love cooking, i'm not good at it but it's fun. i find it relaxing and it's probably a good thing to relax to if work is stressing you. i might just pitch a tent in the cathedral for the four years
economist_robinson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah the prospectus says the cheapest is 2k, but its at odds with the website. i guess we'll find out when we get the application pack for accomodation? that's one of the things for me, i love cooking, i'm not good at it but it's fun. i find it relaxing and it's probably a good thing to relax to if work is stressing you. i might just pitch a tent in the cathedral for the four years
I got my offer in December then the pack came about a week later - the pack is really slick! Yea when Im in catered I'll make a Sunday roast for all my flatmates (well if they want me too :p: ). I was just thinking 1st year is going to hectic, making friends, work, partying, etc so I think maybe catered is good!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got my offer in December then the pack came about a week later - the pack is really slick! Yea when Im in catered I'll make a Sunday roast for all my flatmates (well if they want me too :p: ). I was just thinking 1st year is going to hectic, making friends, work, partying, etc so I think maybe catered is good!
hehe yeah, my thoughts exactly, just worry about money. my family has barely enough to live on tbh, let alone helping me with university, ive got ME so i cant really work whilst i study, otherwise i'll probably end up in hospital through major fatigue, like i did from years 7 to 11, and maintainence loan isnt enough. ARGH.
economist_robinson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hehe yeah, my thoughts exactly, just worry about money. my family has barely enough to live on tbh, let alone helping me with university, ive got ME so i cant really work whilst i study, otherwise i'll probably end up in hospital through major fatigue, like i did from years 7 to 11, and maintainence loan isnt enough. ARGH.

Yea I think for the rest of my years I'll be living off toast to pay for my first year! Sorry to hear about your current situation, its a really tough one. If you don't go to uni hall you can always visit me (thats if I get into uni hall!).
TheNorth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im the opposite of you guys, i really want to go into DRA or New Hall rather than one of the old buildings. Mainly because they are self catering, dont get me wrong, i love the old architecture, but i really want the freedom of self cetering.
economist_robinson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheNorth)
Im the opposite of you guys, i really want to go into DRA or New Hall rather than one of the old buildings. Mainly because they are self catering, dont get me wrong, i love the old architecture, but i really want the freedom of self cetering.
My mum has a friend who's daughter is staying in the newest hall (the one opened by Gordon Brown) and she says that its just like staying in a wonderful hotel, their facilities are AMAZING... so yes two sides to every coin!
TheNorth
Rep:
?
My mum has a friend who's daughter is staying in the newest hall (the one opened by Gordon Brown) and she says that its just like staying in a wonderful hotel, their facilities are AMAZING... so yes two sides to every coin!
Yup thats DRA

I think they run it as a hotel for tourists in the summer when the students are away home.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think all the options with accomodation at st andrews are really impressive...good selection and a fairly large amount of it. always a good thing. i wont be heartbroken if i dont get into uni hall or whatnot, but it would definitely be preferable, as much for the social aspect as anything. hehe, thanks, i will come and visit u in uni hall if u get there and i dont, although i fear i may cleverly trick you into leaving long enough for me to suplant your place there...i will steal your room! mwahaha

or not
TheNorth
Rep:
?
lol hope to see you guys there at either an open day or in september, I can't wait to go now.
economist_robinson
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lol are you thinking what im thinking "TSR meet up!".
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lol are you thinking what im thinking "TSR meet up!".
good to have forum friends before we get thrown into the cataclysmic torrent of freshers week! haha. I really hope i get in...i should, but with my health you never know, i could quite simply just lose my ability to walk again...hahaha
buddjenny
Report 11 years ago
Hey guys, was bored and skimming the forums. Noticed you all have some questions about St Andrews so thought I'd offer my 'expertise' as a 3rd year St Andrews student. So yeah - if you have any questions for me about ANY part of St Andrews life then fire away! Um....that's all

Jenny.
TheNorth
Rep:
?
(Original post by buddjenny)
Hey guys, was bored and skimming the forums. Noticed you all have some questions about St Andrews so thought I'd offer my 'expertise' as a 3rd year St Andrews student. So yeah - if you have any questions for me about ANY part of St Andrews life then fire away! Um....that's all

Jenny.
Hey i have a question, what made you choose st andrews over other Uni's and have your reasons changed since you arrived there.

It's good to hear as many different opinions as possible
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by buddjenny)

Jenny.
are there many jobs available to students in st andrews? are they just the standard kinda 'student' jobs if you understand what i mean?
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
also, ive had an offer for my joint honours application - classical studies and biblical studies, but haven't heard from single honours classical studies yet...is that strange? just wish they'd hurry up because i want to accept the offers...
clickabeth
Report 11 years ago
Hey!!
Just got accepted into St Andrews for Psychology BSc (science), does any onw know the post offer open day dates?
Also is anyone else thinking of goin in september?
Im realllly nervous - Im from Chester near Liverpool (North West) and non of my friends are moving any where near me so pretty scared!! lol
Anyone wanna talk then message me or email me [email protected] ^_^
xxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads