New to Xbox... Watch

FyreFight
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Halo is ****. It's not worth the 10p it costs them to burn the disk, let alone the £30 it'd cost you to buy it.

Having said that, I'd still get a 360 (original, not elite). I've found the controller a lot easier to play with, the game library is far bigger (a lot of PC games go to the 360 and not the PS3), it's a smaller size, XBL is better and the console is cheaper on the whole too.

I'd only ever get a PS3 if I desperately wanted some of the exclusives. And the only exclusive that I've found remotely interesting so far is LittleBigPlanet, which I have to admit, looks fantastic.
username141550
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How the hell can you think Halo is bad? You must just be totally crap at it & so get pissed off when you lose? It's widely considered to be one of the best games ever (although I'll admit, the jump from Halo to Halo 2 was greater than Halo 2 to Halo 3, but it's still bloody good).
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've bought a 360 recently (elite, but only cos I got a great offer on my friend's old one, I wouldn't have bothered with an elite otherwise) and think it's utterly fabby.
FyreFight
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dan-IW)
How the hell can you think Halo is bad? You must just be totally crap at it & so get pissed off when you lose? It's widely considered to be one of the best games ever (although I'll admit, the jump from Halo to Halo 2 was greater than Halo 2 to Halo 3, but it's still bloody good).

Nice jump to a baseless conclusion there. :yy: I've completed it on legendary and I usually get well into the top half of players if I play online. I think it's bad because the graphics are mediocre, the gameplay mechanics are retarded (shooting at someone for 5 seconds online before they die is NOT fun), the online play is has absolutely no tactics and is just about running around manically while bunny hopping, and the single-player is nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever. If you read Yahtzee's review of Halo, that has the single-player down to a tee.

CoD4 is an example of how to do FPS right, Halo is an example of how to make a standard FPS seem incredible through marketing.
username33685
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh dude, i wouldnt quote any of them apart from IGN for proof that halo is good, lol. i think the most impartial way of doing things is going on metacritic.com and looking there. for those who dont know it gets as many reviews for things as possible for a game/film/whatever and averages them out to get a score to provide a better idea of how good something is.

also handy is the fact that xbox 360 games are kicking ps3 games asses on there atm in terms of what scores they are getting.

also yes there is skill in halo, people good at the game will always end up doing better than noobs, that wouldnt be the case if luck was a bigger factor than skill. while i dont think its the best game ever, i personally thought it was a pretty solid experience and i enjoyed it thoroughly, especially in legendary co op.
username141550
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why should you not quote The Sun? Ye, they're not game experts, but neither is your average player. If they think it's one of the best game ever, it's likely the average player will think the same.
Ryouga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont like Halo 3 much, prefered the original but they suck compared to older games.

Its just the generation its in people today dont have the attention spans of other games and like mindless graphics whereas I grew up in the 16 bit days and stillplay the games!

Its hype
Stony Steve Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In response to the controller debate, you simply can't just say which one is better. It's all personal taste - it is entirely subjective. If you've been playing Playstation for years then the chances are you'll have become so used to the controller that anything else just feels weird, which is entirely understandable. I prefer my controller to have a bit of weight to it, I think it helps it to sit better in my hand, which is why I prefer the 360 pad.
Ryouga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Me too but thats due to the old Snes pads of which they are very similar(I like shoulder buttons on SF2 etc)

Hated the PS3 pad as it felt like cheap plastic that would snap in half as it had no weight in it
uzi786
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
My god look at the fanbois in this thread!
Morgoth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why should you not quote The Sun?
because the suns a comic and i wouldnt trust the sun to report the news let alone a decent review on a Video game i mean for example, new story last sunday...rikki hatton on holliday, and isnt tanned OMGZ! a story! ffs who really cares that hatton doesnt tan but burns

you seem to be focusing on halo, well ok how about these

Banjo kazoie
Gears of war
Halo ofc
halo wars
project gotham
Fable
Crackdown
viva pinata
bioshock
mass effect
Lost Planet
Too Human
Alan Wake
condemned 2
Battlefield bad company
Far cry 2
brothers in arms hells highway
project origin
rainbow6LV2
Fallout3
Lost odessy (Jrpg)
Ninja gaiden 2 (a propper sequal at last)
splinter cell conviction
World in conflict360
supreme commander
left 4 dead
Ikaruga on XBLA (loved that game on gamecube)
Rez HD XBLA

oh and then theres those PS exclusives that either are on/ might be comming to 360

like Devil may cry 4
Virtua fighter 5
Metal gear solid 4 (which is still unconfirmed one way or the other)
assasins creed (ok so not much of a huge point but still)
GTA IV
UT3

i think thats enough games in 2008 to be getting on with
adamcleland15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Xbox Live is also mucho good, far better than the PS3 online gaming anyway.

Elaborate on that, how is it 'far better' ... online gaming is online gaming, you play on the internet against real people, and there's always an asian flooding the place with WAKAKAKAKAKAA .. except on PS3, you don't have to pay a stupid fee for it.
nadnerb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
LOL at the PS3 fanboys who are claiming the PS3 is better because it has cheaper controllers that work out of the box. (so do 360 ones btw, they include batteries which have lasted me well over a month and I expect my rechargeables will last even longer)

Do you actually play any games on it or do you just compare accessory prices between the 2 consoles?

I bought a 360 because it had games I wanted to play.
I didn't buy a PS3 because it didn't have any games I wanted to play.
Simple as that!
adamcleland15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't see why anyone could think PS3 are better, and they're vastly more expensive.
Yeah, but once you've bought the same stuff for xbox as you get on PS3 (wireless capability, paying to play online, electricity in your controller, a high definition disc reader, 40 gig hard drive) it's far more than the 289 price tag of the PS3.

You pay a little more for the PS3, and you get A LOT more.
adamcleland15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nadnerb)
LOL at the PS3 fanboys who are claiming the PS3 is better because it has cheaper controllers that work out of the box. (so do 360 ones btw, they include batteries which have lasted me well over a month and I expect my rechargeables will last even longer)

Do you actually play any games on it or do you just compare accessory prices between the 2 consoles?

I bought a 360 because it had games I wanted to play.
I didn't buy a PS3 because it didn't have any games I wanted to play.
Simple as that!
COD 4 and assasin's creed are the games I wanted to play, they both run with a higher FPS on PS3 .. and I don't have to stop at any point to change ****ing batteries.
uzi786
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by adamcleland15)
COD 4 and assasin's creed are the games I wanted to play, they both run with a higher FPS on PS3 .. and I don't have to stop at any point to change ****ing batteries.
Source for Assasins Creed? I have it on PS3 and do notice some framerate issues.
Morgoth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
actually reviews have said that Assasins creed runs better on the 360 :s

Yeah, but once you've bought the same stuff for xbox as you get on PS3 (wireless capability, paying to play online, electricity in your controller, a high definition disc reader, 40 gig hard drive) it's far more than the 289 price tag of the PS3.
currently i dont know any one who is desparate to start watching movies on anything other than DVD, and having the option not to have to pay another £120 for a HD media player is a bonus surely
Sephirona
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
What about GTA IV?
username141550
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Urgh, I regret my first post in the gaming section, it's just childish 'My console is better than yours!' (I realise I went along something similar to this as well). I thought I had stopped that in year 7, Christ.

And by the way, the OP was asking about the Xbox 360, so I don't see the relevance of the PS3 in this conversation.

And GTA IV is coming out on the 360 as well.
Cortez
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Halo is bloody awesome, let’s get some quotes from it: 'Forget game of the year - this is game of the decade' (The Sun), 'Amazing' (FHM), 'Nothing Short of Epic' (IGN.com), 'Something truly special' (Official Xbox 360 Magazine), 'The Most Stunning and exhilarating game you'll ever play' (The News of the World). About the controllers, you can just be a rechargeable kit for £14, and you recharge it when ever you need to (you can play while it recharges) - so I don't see that as a problem. And PS3 controllers and so crummy, people only like them because it's been the same for the last +10 years. It's old and awkward. I don't see why anyone could think PS3 are better, and they're vastly more expensive.

Xbox Live is also mucho good, far better than the PS3 online gaming anyway.
You 360 gamers are so narrow minded. It all comes down to "XBL is waaaaaaaaaay better than PSN" and really it's not. It's slightly better yes, but not not enough to put me off getting a PS3 and if it does put someone off getting a PS3 then they're a fool. Have you even tried PSN? If so, please tell me what's far better about it? The only thing which is better about it is the way you can press the XBL button and see what you're friends are doing, start a chat whilst in different games and message them etc but that will be coming to the PS3 soon anyway and you wont have to pay £30 a year for the privilidge.

The fact that the controller has been the same for however many years is irrelivant. It's the same because it works and people like it. Me included. In fact I'd go out and say I prefer it to the 360 controller. Again it's a subjective thing and you can't say one is better than the other.

No one cares what the Sun or NOTW (or any other the other things you quoted) think and because they say it's good it doesn't mean it is. Whether something is good or not is subjective and I think it's ****.

PS3 is vastly more expensive than the 360? Have you checked the prices recently? There's hardly any difference in price anymore - PS3 = £300 and Elite = £300. Yes you get a 120GB hard drive and a mic but you don't get Blu Ray (or any HD player for that matter .. another £100 add on if you want to support a dead format), you don't get wifi and you don't get a rechargeable controller. Plus you have to pay to play online ... So I'm not sure where you get "vastly more expensive" from because like I say thery're the same price but with differences in what comes with it and you're getting far more for your money with the PS3.

Even if you got for the premium at ~£250 it's not vastly more expensive and then you get even less when comapred to the PS3. If you buy you're official MS wifi adapter and play and charge kit it'll probably take you over £300!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads