I'm going to Poland! Watch

trey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been to Krakow, went down that salt mine and saw auschwitz and that

quite good at night don't think they bother about drinking age and it's 5 zlotty, that's £1 for a pint and 6 zlotty - £1.20 for shot of polish vodka

was really fun but had to wear all over thermals as I went in February last year!
filoha
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The only food i can remember specifically was a pancake filled with cottage cheese with cream fruit etc on top and beetroot soup/pasta!....sure theres lots of nice stuff though,my non vegi friends where fine!

As for polish shops,we have one in the city nearby...think the growing population of Polish people there is due to the "town twinning" ...quite alot of towns do this
allyourbase
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh yeah thats a point, beetroot soup I had too. As well as lots of meat and potato and bread. That kinda stuff.
βored
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ditto to the beetroot soup. Must be really common over there.
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by leot123)
Yeah, Harriellie, food and drink is soo cheap! Got a big 1.5ltr bottle of coke for about 55p equivalent at one place
Wow!
And I'm 18 anyway, but it's good to know 'cos one of my friends is 17 (to trey).

I BLOODY HATE BEETROOT! There's nothing I hate more. Seriously. It MAKES ME RETCH.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been to Gdansk! It was lovely! Didn't really do much there though, we just walked around and admired the view for a bit, then went to the beach in a place nearby called Sopot. (It was July and lovely and warm!)
Bilek
Report 11 years ago
I've been in Poland last summer! The summer before! Oh my God! I spent there all my summers! What's more - I've lived there for 18 years

When I read about "very common beetroot soup" I just can stop laughing. It's quite ordinary one, but popular?!

Prices are really very low, for instance: (as somebody said) less than a pound for a pint of beer. 1l of some really good vodka - 5 pounds(?), a loaf of bread - 0,5 £

If you're 18 there will be no problem with alkohol, just don't drink on streets - cops are only waiting for that :P

If you have some questions - just ask. I'll try to help.
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bilek)
I've been in Poland last summer! The summer before! Oh my God! I spent there all my summers! What's more - I've lived there for 18 years

When I read about "very common beetroot soup" I just can stop laughing. It's quite ordinary one, but popular?!

Prices are really very low, for instance: (as somebody said) less than a pound for a pint. 1l of some really good vodka - 5 pounds(?), a loaf of bread - 0,5 £

If you have some questions - just ask. I'll try to help.
This post was the best post ever! I actually love you!
trey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i had soup alot, always with so amany croutons it was like eating cereal, like corn pops lol seemed like just basic meat and potatoes nothing special

about drinking though, went when i was 16 and was fine but i remember there being over 21 clubs, whether all of them are like that or whether they were just the odd over 21 clubs like we have over here im not sure
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by leot123)
Did you notice those weird stalls everywhere selling bread-things? Seemed to be all over Krakow. Dunno if its a Polish thing though?
It's cheese...

Poland is very nice, try not to get massively drunk and show up all English people - that seems to be the latest trend there. Try some bigos, it's lovely, the national dish. And vodka, the vodka is very good particularly the flavoured vodka; wisniowka is like a thick cherry winter drink. If you're not a massive fan of beer ask them to put raspberry syrup in it, it's normally about 1zl more (17p or so) but makes beer taste sooooo good :p:
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thud)
It's cheese...

Poland is very nice, try not to get massively drunk and show up all English people - that seems to be the latest trend there. Try some bigos, it's lovely, the national dish. And vodka, the vodka is very good particularly the flavoured vodka. If you're not a massive fan of beer ask them to put raspberry syrup in it, it's normally about 1zl more (17p or so) but makes beer taste sooooo good :p:
Interesting, raspberry syrup. I'd never think of that in a million years.

I'm not really into getting massively drunk, lol. What does bigos consist of?

What's the level of people that speak English? I know 3 Polish people (one that lives in Poland) and they all speak English, but then again I'm a student so I can't generalise. I'm going with 1 person that speaks fluent Polish, but I'd like to know how much to learn
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thud)
It's cheese...

Poland is very nice, try not to get massively drunk and show up all English people - that seems to be the latest trend there.
P.S. Our group is 2 x English, 1 x Belgian, 1 x Belgian Arabic, 1 x Belgian Polish and 1 x German... So we'd be showing up the Europe more, I think!
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went to Poland last year, with school. We didn't do much exploring, though. All I remember is Auschwitz, Birkenau, endless pashminas, that giant market in the town square, dodgy Jewish food and beautiful French men.

That was about it.
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Harriellie)
Thanks, I'm so exciting. What is Polish food like?
Polish food is scrummy! The joys of having polish grandparents means i ve grown up with a lot of traditional dishes! Its the best! all of my fave meals are polish!
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Harriellie)
Interesting, raspberry syrup. I'd never think of that in a million years.

I'm not really into getting massively drunk, lol. What does bigos consist of?

What's the level of people that speak English? I know 3 Polish people (one that lives in Poland) and they all speak English, but then again I'm a student so I can't generalise. I'm going with 1 person that speaks fluent Polish, but I'd like to know how much to learn
Bigos looks like, to quote another TSRer, raw sewage :p: don't let that put you off, it's like a hunter's stew of cabbage, beef, pork, mushrooms. There's even a wiki article it's so well known http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos Oh golabki is another nice food - rice and pork wrapped inside a cabbage leaf, translation comes from the word for pigeon because that's what it looks like :p: eaten with tomato sauce.

Anyone under 25 will speak very good English, even if they claim not to :p: Gdansk also has a German presence, I haven't been there, but you might well find Germans if you're really unlucky Above 25 most people tend to speak Russian because they learnt it in school. Gdansk is pretty touristy though so you should be ok. It's only really when you go to rural Poland that you can encounter problems.
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thud)
Bigos looks like, to quote another TSRer, raw sewage :p: don't let that put you off, it's like a hunter's stew of cabbage, beef, pork, mushrooms. There's even a wiki article it's so well known http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos

Anyone under 25 will speak very good English, even if they claim not to :p: Gdansk also has a German presence, I haven't been there, but you might well find Germans if you're really unlucky Above 25 most people tend to speak Russian because they learnt it in school. Gdansk is pretty touristy though so you should be ok. It's only really when you go to rural Poland that you can encounter problems.
okay well we're a pretty lingual group, everyone speaks english and we've got spanish, russian, german, french, dutch and polish and basic italian among us so i'm sure we'll get by! :]
and that sounds FOUL, I dislike stew, cabbage, beef and pork, lol!
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry good dishes are :
Potato and Cheese Pierogi-doughy outside filled with cheese and potato Yummy
Bigos-Seasoned Sauerkraut with like various meats and sausages in it
Golabki- This is meat, usually pork with mushrooms and onions, wrapped in cabbage, frequently served in a tomato sauce- YUM
Kurczak de volaille- Chicken steaks filled with mushrooms, spread with butter and covered with breadcrumbs
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
oo try Faworki ;yes; mmm and Uszka
A Stranger in Moscow
Rep:
?
Pierogi and Kurczak de Volaille sound yummy.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Krakow is a fine city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads