Do you think britain is working? Open ended question....Discuss! Watch

kiddranc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by holla_at_ya)
Do you think britain is working? Open ended question, deliberately ambiguos, remember to back your claims with evidence....Discuss!!
Yes, the UK is working, at least economically.

We haven't had a recession since 1992, whilst all other G8 countries have. Unemployment and inflation have been low for over a decade. We have a negative balance of payments, but so what? Its sustainability is what matters.
Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kiddranc)
Since when do Sinn Fein want Ulster to be a sovereign state? I thought their remit was a united Ireland.
United, independent from the UK. And that's been since the Sinn Fein rebellion (Easter Rising) in 1916 onwards.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think Britain is working. We're far from national emergency. The standard of living in a lot of the population's lives could do with rising. Too many people's experience of life is: telly, town on a Saturday, getting smashed.

I wouldn't worry about an independent Scotland, Wales or Ireland. If it happens, it happens. It does people little good to get at each other's throats about it. Serves to divide us more. Nobodys about to post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zijDoytQ32Y
Catsmeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dddd)
I think Britain is working. We're far from national emergency. The standard of living in a lot of the population's lives could do with rising. Too many people's experience of life is: telly, town on a Saturday, getting smashed.
The perception of a worsening life is, if nothing else, due to the rule of consummerism; there is always choice; always something else to use or to own; always a Moore's law of production. Many economic pessimists are simply experiencing a law of Diminishing Returns -each year they buy and use more, yet the next year there are new choices and consumption decisions to be made. See it as the paradox of a wealthy society; unlimited expectations, limited means.
Cromulent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Catsmeat)
The perception of a worsening life is, if nothing else, due to the rule of consummerism; there is always choice; always something else to use or to own; always a Moore's law of production. Many economic pessimists are simply experiencing a law of Diminishing Returns -each year they buy and use more, yet the next year there are new choices and consumption decisions to be made. See it as the paradox of a wealthy society; unlimited expectations, limited means.
Exactly right.

The other point to bear in mind is that when people talk about the "good old days". The same crimes happened, the only difference was that communication was worse and thus people did not hear about them so much. Compared with today where you can have live news streamed to your mobile phone and you can see why people think crime is so much worse now than it was then. It is not so much that crime has increased but that reporting of crime and exposure to that reporting has increased.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree. But Britain has low living standards compared to other wealthy Western countries, particularly other countries in Europe.
Cromulent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dddd)
I agree. But Britain has low living standards compared to other wealthy Western countries, particularly other countries in Europe.
Standard of living is a pretty meaningless measure unless you set some kind of concrete framework from which to base your assertion.

I could argue that Britain has a better standard of living than America if I look at one set of data and argue that America has a better standard of living than Britain if I look at another.
Adam83
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
violent crime has increased significantly and is more extreme in the post-industrial society
and goes hand in hand with gang crime which operates globaly and manifests itself in street crime. Gang identity has replaced the old working class identities for many.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cromulent)
Standard of living is a pretty meaningless measure unless you set some kind of concrete framework from which to base your assertion.

I could argue that Britain has a better standard of living than America if I look at one set of data and argue that America has a better standard of living than Britain if I look at another.
True, but if I look at an average home in Scandinavia, then at an average home in England, I think I will come to the conclusion that one is of a better standard of living. That arises the issue of whats average Lib
Cromulent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Adam83)
violent crime has increased significantly and is more extreme in the post-industrial society
and goes hand in hand with gang crime which operates globaly and manifests itself in street crime. Gang identity has replaced the old working class identities for many.
I'd like some sources on that claim please.

What about the east end gangs in the 20's and 30's? Or the fights that happened in Liverpool all the time between the Irish and the Liverpudlians (no idea how to spell that )?

Gangs have always been a feature of British life. Nothing has changed except the media coverage.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
United, independent from the UK. And that's been since the Sinn Fein rebellion (Easter Rising) in 1916 onwards.
I think Sinn Fein would argue it has roots in the desire for Irish independence that existed long before 1916
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Debating with yourself again Lib
Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dddd)
I think Sinn Fein would argue it has roots in the desire for Irish independence that existed long before 1916
I agree, they definitely would.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Violent crime has gone down significantly.
Gang crime is a problem, but its less than it used to be. There are less football gangs, and certainly less riots than there used to be.

I wish you would stop talking in rubbish in every topic you come into.
Adam83
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
certainly football violence has been tackled.
gang crime is worse than it used to be.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Excellent - you have agreed that a major source of gang violence has been (largely) tackled.

Its the same with other major forms of violence, there are less riots these days.

Gang violence is getting worse amongst young people in particular, and it seems concentrated to sink areas, in a way that it wasn't in the past. This focus is worrying.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by empfrench)
Yeah, everything's horrible, we should all pack up and leave immeadiately. :rolleyes:
700 people a day are doing just that.
Goddess Fury
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Excellent - you have agreed that a major source of gang violence has been (largely) tackled.

Its the same with other major forms of violence, there are less riots these days.

Gang violence is getting worse amongst young people in particular, and it seems concentrated to sink areas, in a way that it wasn't in the past. This focus is worrying.
Gang violence is getting worse amongst young people in particular, and it seems concentrated to sink areas, in a way that it wasn't in the past. This focus is worrying
That's because there were not as many blacks in the past, it's a gang culture thing.
Cromulent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Adam83)
certainly football violence has been tackled.
gang crime is worse than it used to be.
You still have not provided any sources for these assertions of yours.
Cromulent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by happybob)
That's because there were not as many blacks in the past, it's a gang culture thing.
Sorry but there certainly was a gang culture in Britain before the major immigration started in the 1950's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (11)
21.15%
No (41)
78.85%

Watched Threads