Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much either way about the whole Mildert thing! The Mildert block might not be the nicest and it's understandable that you might worry about not being in Grey. However, there's going to be a group of Grey students in Mildert so you wouldn't be on your own and college definitely won't let you be left out! College have even mentioned the importance of making sure everyone will be included in e-mails they've sent to us older students when sorting out college parents etc so they're definitely trying to look after you! YBesides, you'd have almost exactly the same experience - you just might have to walk a bit further! The refurbished Elvet rooms might be nice too (hope so, I've got one in Elvet North next year!).

As for sharing, it's not actually as bad as people expect! I didn't have to but quite a few of my friends did and they actually quite enjoyed it. A lot of people who shared rooms in first year are still really good friends now and college is careful about matching you with people who you should get along with. Besides, the proportion of people that have to share isn't too bad so it is sometimes possible to get away with not doing so if you really don't want to! I'm not saying it always works, just that it's not something to worry about too much!

College accomodation isn't too bad on the whole. Yep, the rooms in Hollingside and Holgate smell nicer than Oswald (it's not so much bad as just a little weird...) but you get used to the smell very quickly! (To the point, that when you walk back into Oswald in 2nd year you say it smells like home...) Oswald totally makes up for the smell by its atmosphere, anyway. Most of the freshers are in this block, which is really great as it makes it so easy to meet new people and it's nice having so many people who are in exactly the same boat as you in such close proximity. It was really common for people just to hang around in Oswald corridors chatting and getting to know people. I think the other blocks are great too, you'll definitely meet people and the furniture might be better but I don't think you can really beat the Oswald experience as a fresher. Ultimately, I found that you really don't care about your furniture or room size after about the first couple of days, anyway!

Anyway, look at me rambling on... Basically, you just need to know that Grey is a really nice college and is as friendly as it appears on the Open Day. It's only a 15min walk to town and there's always the other hill colleges to visit if you can't be bothered to go that way (college bars at night). Ooh, also I'm confused by the comment that the JCR had a small TV, unless the normal one wasn't in there on the open day (quite possible), as we actually have the biggest TV of all the colleges! It's huge! (Perfect for watching rubbish TV - Neighbours in particular!) Hope this helps! If anyone wants to hear more from a current Grey student, any questions etc, just PM me, I don't want to take up any more room here!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

I think I may have decided to volunteer to stay in VM. got to convince my parents still, but yeah I think that is what I will do.
    I know people say good stuff about sharing but that really is something I'm not prepared to do! I have a real thing about it.

And I don't think I'd mind staying in VM, so long as they make us feel included! And I get a nice new room afterwards, and I guess I'll know people from two colleges and it'll be a big group.

Do you know if we will get to spend our freetime during the day there etc? Do we still get Grey parents, and a college tutor there?

I actually can't wait to get to Durham, and to Grey, so fingers crossed for the grades!!

ReputationRep:
    As I'm still online I might as well see if I can answer! Hmm, free time, well, as far as I can guess I would say that your free time in the day could be spent at either Mildert or Grey (actually quite lucky as you'll have that choice). Obviously, your rooms will be in Mildert but you there's always the JCR or Fountain's Hall or other places to hang around in if you want to spend your time in Grey. Also, you'll meet lots of other freshers who are living in the Grey blocks so you'll be likely to spend a lot of time in those blocks too - either in people's rooms or just hanging around! Wandering round Oswald and just talking to people is always quite a good idea early on because everyone else will be doing the same!

I know that you're definitely getting Grey parents because we were told that in the e-mails that they sent out when asking for parent volunteers! (Yep, I'll hopefully be someone's parent next year!) I'd also assume you'd get a Grey tutor as you will be a Grey student, just one who happens to live in Mildert! Most of the tutors are really nice, actually, mine being particularly lovely as she holds loads of tutor group meals and gives you chocolate biscuits when you go up to college to see her!

Oh, and as far as I know, medical reasons are the only ones that will absolutely guarantee you not to share, unfortunately. If that applies to you, no problem, otherwise it might be tricky.

Good luck with your grades, fingers crossed for you too! May bump into you in October!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering my questions!!

Sorry, one last one; do you know which accommodation block you would be staying at in VM? Not that I especially mind I'm just interested where they are going to house the 80 or so people together.

Yeah I think having the cross between two colleges would be good, two places to hang out And that's how I want it to feel; a Grey student who happens to be staying in VM for a while, rather than being a proper Mildert fresher for the first term! Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course

Haha yeah may seen you in October, Ive just got to go through the stress and the nightmares before I find out!

ReputationRep:
    I've volunteered for VM.

I decided I really want my own space in my first year and I'll meet loads more people this way as well. Plus I like the idea of a shiny new room in 2nd and 3rd term.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I think I will volunteer too if there are still places. I think I'll do it todya, hopefully my email will be working!

Glad someone else is doing it on here, I felt a little lonely when I thought about doing it!

And you're right, I want my own space for the first year

ReputationRep:
    The accommodation block you'll be in is Wear (I think), as an illustration here is the view from my window in 1st year:

If I can find some pictures of my room somewhere I'll put them up too.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! That would be really great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    I've volunteered for VM.

I decided I really want my own space in my first year and I'll meet loads more people this way as well. Plus I like the idea of a shiny new room in 2nd and 3rd term.
    I was a Fresher at Grey last year and yeah, it really really doesn't sound like such a bad proposal, considering you are only there in Mildert for the one term. It is a bonus in a way, like you said, meeting more people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linka1)
    I was a Fresher at Grey last year and yeah, it really really doesn't sound like such a bad proposal, considering you are only there in Mildert for the one term. It is a bonus in a way, like you said, meeting more people
    So it's not that far from Grey? It didn't look very far on the map lol.

I've been added to the VM list, so fingers crossed I get the grades haha, I think it will be a good thing really, cos 1st term will fly by and then I'll know that I'll have my own, refurbished room in 2nd and 3rd term and I won't have to move rooms again! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    So it's not that far from Grey? It didn't look very far on the map lol.

I've been added to the VM list, so fingers crossed I get the grades haha, I think it will be a good thing really, cos 1st term will fly by and then I'll know that I'll have my own, refurbished room in 2nd and 3rd term and I won't have to move rooms again! :yep:
    Nope Mildert (and everything else in Durham) really isn't that far from each other. Elvet are nice rooms and I think they'll probably rival Hollingside, where I stayed all year last year. Holgate is like a hotel but Freshers never stay there, unless you have to share, and then they stick you up on the top floor with hardly anyone from your year. That happened to my friend but then it meant when next term came around, she was allowed to move out.

The VM scheme at least guarantees you won't be sharing ever. Freshers are the only people who share.

ReputationRep:
    The Freshers rep at Grey, Lisa, is really ace. I'm sure she'll make a huge effort in making the students at rep feel as much a part of Grey as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the idea of not having to share was a really attractive one

Ugh just got to get the grades now!

ReputationRep:
    I have volunteered for VM too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Great! I wonder if they've filled up the spaces yet? if they haven't they'll just stick people in there, I guess

ReputationRep:
    I've also volunteered for VM! I am just desperately hoping for the grades now!

ReputationRep:
    haha me too! It's so nervy....ahhh I hate waiting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LieDown)
    Great! I wonder if they've filled up the spaces yet? if they haven't they'll just stick people in there, I guess
    It depends how many actually meet their offers. I suspect given Aidan's current emptiness, anyone who does fail to get the grades but are still kept by the dept will get moved over here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah maybe. Is st aidans really empty?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the amount of returners have dropped quite a bit, which means we have to fill up with people from oversubscribed colleges. Hopefully we wont get too many who have been rejected from the Bailey...

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.