Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Money money money gotta get that cash.

(Original post by Mush)
    I am at my most motivated when I find someone who doubts me.

If someone doubts me, then they mayaswell just give me whatever it is they doubt me for. If someone doubts I'll get an A in an exam, they mayaswell give me the A on the spot. Because if I find doubt, I will go to all length to prove folk wrong.

It's the best feeling in the world to have a doubter eat their words. And slowly begin to believe that you're capable of anything.
    Yea good one, the thing is I think im capable of most things so do not lack in confidence, however I think its my feelings that stop me from being motivated.

ReputationRep:
    A better future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Federer Rulz)
    A better future
    It will only be a better future if you feel it is at the time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yea good one, the thing is I think im capable of most things so do not lack in confidence, however I think its my feelings that stop me from being motivated.
    I don't lack in confidence either. I could do perfectly well on my own if everyone believed in me.

When someone doubts me, I don't think "oh God, they might be right, I need to prove to myself that I can do this, because if some people think I can't do it, then maybe I can't."

I just think "Well, that person is going to look like such a **** very very soon..." and get on with it.

I'm pretty self motivated anyway. But when I have someone to prove wrong, even moreso. Not because I lack the confidence to do it without doubters, just because it's more fun to prove people wrong, than to do something brilliant that everyone was expecting anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    I am at my most motivated when I find someone who doubts me.

If someone doubts me, then they mayaswell just give me whatever it is they doubt me for. If someone doubts I'll get an A in an exam, they mayaswell give me the A on the spot. Because if I find doubt, I will go to all length to prove folk wrong.

It's the best feeling in the world to have a doubter eat their words. And slowly begin to believe that you're capable of anything.
    :dito: If someone tells me i cant do something i'll work really hard just to prove i can! Another motivation of mine is i want to be a teacher, its what ive always wanted to be and so i work hard because i want to get there. Also i want to make my dad proud by doing the best i can and being one the first out of our family to graduate university... i just hope hes around to see it.

ReputationRep:
    Always proving people wrong...i totally get on a high when someone under estimates you.

ReputationRep:
    The need to prop up my arrogance.

To the OP's problem, I feel demotivated sometimes when I have a lot of late nights, maybe it's a hormone balance thing but it's really noticeable for me that if i get into a nocturnal pattern I don't feel as driven. I'd fix that first.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, my parents are the ones who demotivate me if anything - but obviously if I mention anything of the sort, they go mental. Once I ignore them and concentrate on myself purely, my own future, where I'd like to be - I realise that working now can get me where I want to be. And let's face it, I may as well try!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Also I want to study Medicine after my Aeronautical Engineering masters, so that's a large motivation for me. Since I need an upper 2nd of first class degree to get into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    All the wrong reasons, perhaps? Anyhow, I have to admit that, I'm always a little freaked out by people who've decided what uni they want to go to before they've even completed GCSE. Good luck still.
    3 reasons

1. experts in the field + the degree crosses over with EE (comp sci / ee is something ive always wanted to do.. i knew that from about the age of 8 or )

2. no one in my family has been to a uni like that

3. cambridge is far from the west midlands

as for my a levels, the maths + fm is to get onto a comp sci degree, physics, computing and chemistry i just love doing (+ computing should be an easy a level for me since ive done a lot of stuff in my own time that is on a lot of the computing syllabuses)

as for the "where i want to go before gcses" .. most kids have dreams of becoming rich or becoming a rock star or something, but my dream is to study somewhere as good as that doing a subject i love. i think im one of the only ones in the whole year that actually value an education

ReputationRep:
    To become a vet, almost everything I do I do because I know it will help me become a vet. I am also extremely competitive and will ALWAYS fight to be first! So yeah I think motivation comes from your ambitions, but also your personality, you have to be determined, competitive and care to become motivated. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzannnne!!)
    To become a vet, almost everything I do I do because I know it will help me become a vet. I am also extremely competitive and will ALWAYS fight to be first! So yeah I think motivation comes from your ambitions, but also your personality, you have to be determined, competitive and care to become motivated. xx
    YEAH! FIGHT TO BE FIRST! RAAARGH. VETEMON! YOU GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. If so many people are first... where are all those who came in second?

I'm motivated by family pride more than anything. My grandparents and my dad went to Oxford, I've already failed them by not managing to get in there... so now I have to prove my dad wrong, because secretly I think he believes I'm an idiot.

That, and tight deadlines. A deadline is the equivalent to motivation what a thumbtack on a seat is to pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsn)
    see sig
    WOW what a sig....

ReputationRep:
    Positive words in the dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    Things that 'open doors',
    the fear of failure,
    and, although I'm ashamed to admit it, wanting to do better than others who don't try and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiserommer)
    Always proving people wrong...i totally get on a high when someone under estimates you.
    Ahh too true, I loved ending up being the 'underdog' at GCSE

Fear of failure mostly for me. Kind of strange that its negative rather than wanting to do my best or whatever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.