Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millicent)
    These sorts of threads always take a chunk out my confidence.
    I feel Stoopid

ReputationRep:
    Mine say well done and are pleased with me but I don't believe in the whole parents going OTT and paying you money for getting good grades etc. [as some of my friends get] I think it's ridiculous.
    I'm doing MY gcse's now, for ME, nobody else.
    It's my future that they affect so I think being bribed into doing well's is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Usually they say 'well done' and congratulate me a bit! Nothing special...

I don't know about GCSEs. I doubt they'll give me money or anything. My Dad says he'll buy me a present if I get an 'A' in Maths (I'm dreadful at Maths, so this is unlikely). The most I'll get for the rest of my GCSEs will probably be a meal out or something like that.

My Grandparents do give me money, but that's a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millicent)
    These sorts of threads always take a chunk out my confidence.
    I'm so sick of threads like this and OH NO I GOT A B MY LIFES OVER type threads. It's so boring.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, people complaining over B's is annoying. Lower ability people spend two years struggling to get a C so people should be chuffed with what they got unless they didnt put work in, and if they didnt its only their own fault.

ReputationRep:
    I got 9A* 2 A and and my parents were really pleased. they put it behind them before dinner lol.

how do you expect them to react though?

ReputationRep:
    My parents normally say 'well done' if I get good grades, but then go way OTT when I get bad grades. Like, in my politics module in January I got a U, and they signed me up for revision classes even though it wasn't entirely my fault (my teacher had been off for about two months before the college found a substitute, so we were really behind and had to skip over a lot, and then I was really ill when I took the exam)

But when my sister got a U and 2 E's in her A2s, they were just like, 'That's all we expected, but if you get that we'll be very disappointed' to me.

I guess it's normal for parents to focus on the bad stuff instead of the good or something.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.