Turn on thread page Beta

Are black people naturally academically disadvantaged? watch

ReputationRep:
    i think that its just the environment that affects their intelligence as pointed out earlier on. Living in a disadvantaged area can deprive you of vital education

ReputationRep:
    Thats a very hard deterministic viewpoint..on the idea that all black men, must be..through brain structure, academically challenged..

when we have very intelligent scholars, artists, etc who are black..huh, guess they're not..I'm not being a complainer, or anything, but theres some very, urmm..touchy posts out at the moment

ReputationRep:
    i'm black myself just so you know and i didn't do particularly bad in my GCSEs. Not saying they are proof of academic ability, but what i'm trying to get at is that i'm not intending to offend anyone

ReputationRep:
    By the way, It's a very large oversight to assume that intelligence/intellectual capacity directly correlates with academic performance.

Shame on us all

ReputationRep:
    thats true, but it was pointed out earlier on so i just blame it on my ignorance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    i'm black myself just so you know and i didn't do particularly bad in my GCSEs. Not saying they are proof of academic ability, but what i'm trying to get at is that i'm not intending to offend anyone

Not just this one, the ones about women aswell- i am actually pretty offended by
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    OP: who cares?

Now, I don't mean to err on the side of political correctness here. In fact, I hate political correctness; I hate those who rant about how much they hate political correctness; I hate those who rant about how much they hate those who rant about how much they hate political correctness; and so on. It's just a boring, old topic. But I ask you, why does anyone care? Maybe black people are naturally academically disadvantaged. Maybe they're not. You've admitted yourself that it really doesn't matter, since some black people do well for themselves and some don't, just like white people. So your question really boils down to "are there more or less black people who do well than white/[other race here] people?", to which I would like to propose the question: who would reasonably find such a piece of information useful or interesting, and for what reason?

Not trying to derail the thread, just trying to find out why you care.

ReputationRep:
    The contrasting demands of the environments in which different races evolved will of course have led to differences in their mental capacities. There is no reason at all why their different evolutionary paths would have led to some fairly substantial physical differences but no mental ones.

People need to get real and admit the obvious.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    Thats a very hard deterministic viewpoint..on the idea that all black men, must be..through brain structure, academically challenged..
    Rubbish. For a start, that's not what was asked. Secondly, though, aren't we all academically challenged? We're all a bit thick in some areas compared to someone else. I can't possibly hope to be as clever or successful as some of my lecturers, some of my peers, or even some people here on TSR. And even they have things they can't reasonably do. Some things are just too 'clever' for any of us to do. We each have an academic limit; all the OP is proposing we do is quantify this somehow and take an average over a fairly arbitrary discriminatory factor, which happens to be race. There's no racism about it, since that's what you're implying.

ReputationRep:
    Oh great, another "why is demographic A better than demographic B" subject. GIVE IT A REST.

ReputationRep:
    They are definitely not disadvantaged in any way, which is why affirmative action in America is nothing short of discrimination against all other races.

ReputationRep:
    If you believe what the media is saying now it is actually white males from working class backgrounds that are currently the most underachieving and academically disadvantaged grouping, not black males/people.

Labour's social engineering seems to have gone a little too far.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    when we have very intelligent scholars, artists, etc who are black..huh, guess they're not..
    You think we can form reliable statistics from a handful of chosen examples? That's more than a little academically false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    Of course not. The social circumstances some ethnic minorities are brought up in contribute to their academic disadvantages, but they aren't 'naturally' any less intelligent than white people.
    The fact you state that with certainty is just as silly as saying the reverse with certainty, and suggests you're not being objective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    The fact you state that with certainty is just as silly as saying the reverse with certainty, and suggests you're not being objective.
    Why? I have never seen any convincing evidence that the colour of someone's skin makes a difference to their intelligence. However, I have seen reams and reams of evidence that their social deprivation does. I'm not just talking about black people, I'm talking about people of every skin colour. Social differences affect academic ability far more consistently than skin colour. Hence why not every black person is academically poor, but a lot of people who live in socially deprived areas don't do well.

ReputationRep:
    when we have very intelligent scholars, artists, etc who are black..huh, guess they're not..
    Well actually that is partly down to the government's social engineering. They pressed for more accurate representation of ethnic minorities in the government, civil servants, media, film, etc. In actual fact there was a study a while back that actually said that the representation of such individuals in the media, film, etc is actually exaggerated/much greater than that present in the UK. When less than 10% of the UK is of non native ethnicity there's 30+% representation of ethnic minorities it's an indicator that things have gone too far. There are even charities to support/fund disadvantaged black and/or ethnic kids, students, musicians, artists, etc.

Surely with equality these situations would balance themselves out without all of the intervention, positive and negative discimination between the different groups and hostility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolaface)
    nope i think its all about the circumstances they see themselves in.
    if they are disadvantaged then quite often they dont do well
    alot of black people in private schools do very well from what ive seen.
    also people i know from nigeria generally do very well when they come over here for uni
    thats because theyve taught them very well in school.
    Well I guess its more the culture and environment one is placed in - that can determine whether one does well in a system.

Obviously if you want to do well its up to your own self.

I think as black guy I have made the choice to do well, and it is up to individual to do well - not necessarily a group thing.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its genetic, in my book anyone can be as smart as they wish to be - the key is hard work !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_parsons)
    The contrasting demands of the environments in which different races evolved will of course have led to differences in their mental capacities. There is no reason at all why their different evolutionary paths would have led to some fairly substantial physical differences but no mental ones.

People need to get real and admit the obvious.
    So which environments lead to people evolving more intelligence?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.