Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what exactly is it you disagree with?

Nothing in your post contradicts any of mine. I'd be interested to know where exactly the difference in opinion is.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its to do with insecurity or maturity or exclusive to guys for that matter, everyone is different around their friends

ReputationRep:
    they do that bc they don't want their mates to think their whipped. my buddies do it all the time, but when its just one of them nd me chillin they act completely different. don't take it into offence , look at it form his side, if you knew ur buds were gonna make fun of you for acting all lovey, would you do it or would u put on a different face for them?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sun Ra and his Arkestra] It's all about giving and taking for the group dynamic to work.QUOTE]

I disagree to an certain extent with your 'give' and 'take' in a group theory It semes some peopel rapily chnage while around certian people.

e.g, a guy might start talkign more about tits and girls. than they would if he was just with his girlfriend. As he has to, how do i say this, put ona a 'manly' front, like soemone said above, as to not seem 'whipped'. I certianly think some guys wouldn't say 'I love more than words, soemtimes I want to cry casue she makes me so happy'. They'd rather be, 'yeah, she loves my d**k'', and 'yeah, i'd do her'....see what i mean?

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when my bf does this!! we are in the same group of friends and hes quite rude to me sometimes if theyre there and he doesn't hold my hand or anything but then hes completely different when its just us.

ReputationRep:
    His mates have brainwashed him.
    You should get rid of them for him, it'll be better then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylase55)
    i hate it when my bf does this!! we are in the same group of friends and hes quite rude to me sometimes if theyre there and he doesn't hold my hand or anything but then hes completely different when its just us.

Glad this just doesnt happen to me...was getting paranoid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanity Panda)
    His mates have brainwashed him.
    You should get rid of them for him, it'll be better then.
    yeah, then you should pick what clothes he should wear, what film you guys rent out, always decide where to eat, tell him what present to buy you, tell him how to do his hair.. you get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you considered it might be funny to take the piss and have a laugh. Yes its macho, but at heart its only humour. I wouldnt say insecure people do this, otherwise all comediens would be insecure?

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

It's adapting to different social situations and behaving how we are expected to.
    Are you the same person with your friends as you are with, say your grandmother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by variusers)
    yeah, then you should pick what clothes he should wear, what film you guys rent out, always decide where to eat, tell him what present to buy you, tell him how to do his hair.. you get the idea.
    Makes sense.
    If you're going to be with someone, might as well make it so that you both agree on something.

Guys being told what to get instead of being lost on what to get as gifts? That's like heaven for most guys.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend acts different depending on who he is with. For example, when we were out with mutual friends at the weekend, he was quite affectionate towards me. He was loved up, wanted cuddles and kisses, though i'm not into public displays of affection. On the other hand, when we had a night out a few weeks ago with his college friends, he was very focused on the sexual side of our relationship. He made people very aware that I would be going back to his, he was being more dirty than usual and stuff. He can be quite arrogant around his college friends.

After having a night out with me and my girly friends, he's decided that I act very similar to when i'm with him. Though, I sort of knew that anyway, I never change much.

my boyfriend wont tell me his misses me when i talk to him on the phone when he is around his friends, although i dont mind telling him i miss him when im with my girlfriends... why are men like this??? he is never affectionate with me when our mutual friends or his friends are around and it sometimes makes me think he is embarassed to have me as his gf!!!

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense.
    If you're going to be with someone, might as well make it so that you both agree on something.
    Are you being serious?!

ReputationRep:
    I must admit, I'm far less physically affectionate towards my gf when my friends are around. It's not like I'm ashamed to have her as my gf at all, it just seems a bit weird and uncomfortable. Plus, our friends are mutual and we both have never been touchy before we started going out with each other; so I feel quite awkward to be touchy when we're with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my boyfriend wont tell me his misses me when i talk to him on the phone when he is around his friends, although i dont mind telling him i miss him when im with my girlfriends... why are men like this??? he is never affectionate with me when our mutual friends or his friends are around and it sometimes makes me think he is embarassed to have me as his gf!!!

awwwww! dont say that. If you look below/above your'll see people say how their ghuy changes. mine does too! Like some dais on her, 'more sexual' etc.
    I bet he tells you other lovely stuff when its just you too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Its not usual for people to act differently around different groups of people. In the same way that your friends see a different side of you from your parents. If his behavior is upsetting you then tell him that and hopefully he will tone it down when you are around.
    :dito: i tend to try and not be as lovey dovey around my friends because they hate it and get funny if i do.

ReputationRep:
    If you are implying that this is a guy thing then that's completely idiotic :P

I don't mind giving public affection, however I don't think my girlfriend does, it doesn't mean that she's embarrassed or that she doesn't love me...

It's just some people are uncomfortable at doing so around other people.

Plus, I guarantee girls when with their friends would talk about stuff that they wouldn't around their boyfriends :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    If you are implying that this is a guy thing then that's completely idiotic :P

I don't mind giving public affection, however I don't think my girlfriend does, it doesn't mean that she's embarrassed or that she doesn't love me...

It's just some people are uncomfortable at doing so around other people.

Plus, I guarantee girls when with their friends would talk about stuff that they wouldn't around their boyfriends :p:
    Not neccessarily not showing public affection - ut accting differently. more 'arrogant' as someone put it on here. Or more 'sexual' in front of 'the lads'.
    Girls I dont know its different.......I think....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.