Turn on thread page Beta

How accurate are shows like skins? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's the worst joke ever. The couple of times I've seen it it's had some girl whose meant to be "cute and quirky" just spouting a load of junk about snails eating each other in a pretty frightening girl-in-the-exorcist kind of way. Another time there was some 15 year old sister imprisoning an older guy in her room and making him do her art coursework while she dealt drugs at some kind of rave.
    Another time the supposed quirky girl was on a webcam showing two gay guys her underwear while her boyfriend was "unbeknowst to her" watching it all on webcam.
    WHAT JUNK. None of it makes any sense.
    And "Tony" waking up with a tattoo after having sex with a girl that could be imaginary while on a supposed university open day? Yeah that happened on all the open days I went to.
    Or maybe not considering nothing about this show is at all realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    It's the worst joke ever. The couple of times I've seen it it's had some girl whose meant to be "cute and quirky" just spouting a load of junk about snails eating each other in a pretty frightening girl-in-the-exorcist kind of way. Another time there was some 15 year old sister imprisoning an older guy in her room and making him do her art coursework while she dealt drugs at some kind of rave.
    Another time the supposed quirky girl was on a webcam showing two gay guys her underwear while her boyfriend was "unbeknowst to her" watching it all on webcam.
    WHAT JUNK. None of it makes any sense.
    And "Tony" waking up with a tattoo after having sex with a girl that could be imaginary while on a supposed university open day? Yeah that happened on all the open days I went to.
    Or maybe not considering nothing about this show is at all realistic.

God, if it was EXACTLY LIKE YOUR LIFE, would you bother watching it? NO. Because it would be too boring for words.

ReputationRep:
    Did Skins ever aim to be a real portrayal of real life....

In the same way that Eastenders isn't about the real lives of Londoners, Emmerdale about the real lives of Yorkshire farmers and Hollyoaks about the real lifes of a few pairs of tits, Skins isn't about the real lives of some Bristol teenagers.

"was absolutely disgusted with that being a 'real portrayal of real life"

Okay.... Would you like to watch 8-10 hours of some ugly teens spending most of their free time on Facebook, paranoid about body image and stressing over exams? Because that's far closer to reality than Skins, but is it more interesting. Realism vs Entertainment. Which would you prefer...

Personally, entertainment would win hands down any day. And I can't understand why people get so uppy that Skins doesn't represent their lives.

Not quoting Ad-Aldi whatever directly, just using his quote as a general concensus found around the tubes.

ReputationRep:
    The papers thought it was...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    Your sig is so sickeningly disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightxburns)
    God, if it was EXACTLY LIKE YOUR LIFE, would you bother watching it? NO. Because it would be too boring for words.
    Yeah but it's pretty scummy whereas something like Lost, which sure is nothing like my life last time I checked is at least interesting rather than just screaming "TEeNs aRe MaaAAAAAAd WOOO IM PiLLED!!!"

ReputationRep:
    It only shows different aspects of a teenagers life. YES you go to a party get wasted no doubt have sex with someone you dont even know suffer a hangover, and the next morning you either help tidy or fu** off out quick!

The two last episodes of the second series were stupid. cassie couldnt have went to new york without a visa and get a job there lol Just doesn't work like that.

Apparntly series 3 is out early next year. and they have allready done auditions. since every other "original" has left to go to uni theres going to be new characters. this one is called skins:life instead of just skins (oh the wonders of wikipedia)!

I love skins but theres to many people now e.g. scene kids etc who are 14 like to say "yeh my life is just like this" IS IT FU**!!

Anyone else shocked by chris's death? lol

ReputationRep:
    Your sig is so sickeningly disturbing.
    Broken record.

I'm not going to change it, it's a cartoon, it stays.

In the same way that Eastenders isn't about the real lives of Londoners, Emmerdale about the real lives of Yorkshire farmers and Hollyoaks about the real lifes of a few pairs of tits, Skins isn't about the real lives of some Bristol teenagers.
    "was absolutely disgusted with that being a 'real portrayal of real life"
    Okay.... Would you like to watch 8-10 hours of some ugly teens spending most of their free time on Facebook, paranoid about body image and stressing over exams? Because that's far closer to reality than Skins, but is it more interesting. Realism vs Entertainment. Which would you prefer...
    Personally, entertainment would win hands down any day. And I can't understand why people get so uppy that Skins doesn't represent their lives.
    Not quoting Ad-Aldi whatever directly, just using his quote as a general concensus found around the tubes.
    Gee, thanks Cowberk although I am a she, for future reference.

I'm not getting 'uppy' that it doesn't represent my life (god lord, I certainly would not want it to if that's how people are living), my point was just that I find it disturbing if that is what they are showing as a 'hyper-realistic' drama for teenagers.

The whole point of the show is that it does have *some* basis in reality (as does any soap) - and this one purports to have story-arcs that are "written by teens" etc etc. I'm not saying that everybody out there is getting off their face and stoned, but if this is being shown on TV as 'cool' and 'with it', then that's truly distressing imo.

Personally I hate all soaps anyhoo, so yeah - this is just my two cents...no-one should get 'uppy' over an opinion.

In the spirit of friendliness I do actually like your sig:
    "My spoon is too big "

ReputationRep:
    Broken record.

I'm not going to change it, it's a cartoon, it stays.
    Um, I didn't ask you to change it, Your Highness. I was just commenting on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ad-Alta)
    Gee, thanks Cowberk although I am a she, for future reference.

I'm not getting 'uppy' that it doesn't represent my life (god lord, I certainly would not want it to if that's how people are living), my point was just that I find it disturbing if that is what they are showing as a 'hyper-realistic' drama for teenagers.

The whole point of the show is that it does have *some* basis in reality (as does any soap) - and this one purports to have story-arcs that are "written by teens" etc etc. I'm not saying that everybody out there is getting off their face and stoned, but if this is being shown on TV as 'cool' and 'with it', then that's truly distressing imo.

Personally I hate all soaps anyhoo, so yeah - this is just my two cents...no-one should get 'uppy' over an opinion.

In the spirit of friendliness I do actually like your sig:
    "My spoon is too big "
    And I am a banana.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of soaps (though Emmerdale's Jasmine is omgwow), and I've never had an issue with a programme stepping far from reality, Skins is certainly not trying to be anything but escapism (in my opinion), and it doesn't bother me that it's not true to the average teenager's life.

However, disgust all you like.

ReputationRep:
    Um, I didn't ask you to change it, Your Highness. I was just commenting on it.
    Okay.

But this (might be) the second time it's been commented on. And there's no point, because I like it and made it (from the video, of course), and it's better than nothing or something that states how I got BBDd in my A-levels or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be realistic but it should at least be entertaining :|

ReputationRep:
    Programmes like that are rarely like real life otherwise people would quickly lose interest in them. Come on, who steals their friends dead body and drives around with it on the top of their car? Nobody I know thats for sure :rolleyes:

Documentaries are the place for real life.
    Having said that, I hate skins. I watched 1 episode of the first series and the last 2 of the series thats just ended.
    Id not recommend it- or Hollyoaks, or the OC or any of those other shows that cool people watch....

ReputationRep:
    i wonder where theyre al going for uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Programmes like that are rarely like real life otherwise people would quickly lose interest in them. Come on, who steals their friends dead body and drives around with it on the top of their car? Nobody I know thats for sure :rolleyes:

Documentaries are the place for real life.
    Having said that, I hate skins. I watched 1 episode of the first series and the last 2 of the series thats just ended.
    Id not recommend it- or Hollyoaks, or the OC or any of those other shows that cool people watch....
    i enjoyed the first series of skins. The second is just too far-fetched i find. Cassie turning into a lesbo/witch, that creapy girl stalking maxi. It just irritates me now.

I persnally dont watch any cool tv shows. Just location, location, location and law&order for me thanks

ReputationRep:
    In reality Tony would've been arrested, banned from driving, heavily fined and jailed. He might also have been a bit dead and his car would be a write-off. He would not have just pottered off to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atoms4peace)
    i wonder where theyre al going for uni?
    In real life or in the show do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    In real life or in the show do you mean?
    irl.
    wait, how old are they irl?

ReputationRep:
    skins isnt accurate at all
    too much happening
    i reckon eastenders pretty much is when it comes to teenagers, eg. darren
    oh no i forgot about lucy

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.