Turn on thread page Beta

TI-84s are awesome watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aksan)
    I only have an inferior TI-83+. =( I really want that new TI-Nspire though. Mang, it looks sexy.
    At the risk of sounding like a complete geek(!), that does look cool! :cool:

Surely that wouldn't be allowed in exams though?

ReputationRep:
    I took TI-83 today to c3 exam, at first they said it was too powerful so they took away~
    but TI is awesome cuz you can download games to your calculator! how cool is that XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aksan)
    I only have an inferior TI-83+. =( I really want that new TI-Nspire though. Mang, it looks sexy.
    same here! but i wanna have Voyage™ 200
    'Must-have for Calculus, College Math and Engineering. ' will buy one when im off to uni ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzypingan)
    I took TI-83 today to c3 exam, at first they said it was too powerful so they took away~
    but TI is awesome cuz you can download games to your calculator! how cool is that XD
    Yeah one of the invidulators who was checking my ID and stuff during the exam suddenly stopped and picked up my calculator (whilst I had a graph which I was using displayed on the screen) and started examining it and rigorously checking it against her clipboard, which I didn't see her do for anyone else! I did think she was going to take it off me for a moment, which had me pretty worried cos it was quite helpful for one question!

ReputationRep:
    i remember i got a ti 89 "brick calculator" in a sats exam once

**** i should have stolen that calculator looking back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    At the risk of sounding like a complete geek(!), that does look cool! :cool:

Surely that wouldn't be allowed in exams though?
    Probably not. xD But I wouldn't want to use it in exams anyway. I just wanna have it because it's cool. :p:

Those invigilators are breaking the rules. TI-83 is allowed since it can't do symbolic differentiation/integration. I've had one in an exam before and they didn't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they can take it off you during an exam (unless its gcse) since it doesent give you answers, you can check answers using it (much like how you can check using a casio 991es to some extent) by substituting X numbers here and there, so you're really unlucky they took it off you

ReputationRep:
    You can't take a TI-Nspire into an A-level exam! It has a CAS... which is a massive no-no :p:

same here! but i wanna have Voyage™ 200
    'Must-have for Calculus, College Math and Engineering. ' will buy one when im off to uni ^^
    I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but it is hard to think of a bigger waste of £176!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but it is hard to think of a bigger waste of £176!
    176 lottery tickets.

(Original post by Adje)
    176 lottery tickets.
    Err, well it's not easy to evaluate the 'worth' of a lottery ticket. :wink2: (But we digress...)

ReputationRep:
    and TI-89 Titaniums are the worst calculators I've ever tried using in my life.

ReputationRep:
    The TI-89 Titanium is great! It does far too much to be allowed in exams though, but very useful for homework.

ReputationRep:
    Casio CFX-9850G PLUS ftw :P

though I do admit I would gladly have the TI-Nspire. My friend has a TI (93 I think) and the interface is nasty - my casio has a proper GUI and such. It is great being able to check integrals and such, though I always do feel a bit guilty when doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    The TI-89 Titanium is great! It does far too much to be allowed in exams though, but very useful for homework.
    I was about to get one of these at a snip on ebay but found my trusty old casio 9750. Doesn't do symbolic integration though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2008

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.