Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so may of my friends are like that. it just makes me try harder

ReputationRep:
    I guess some people are just lucky. Those born naturally gorgeous, stupidly clever and indisputably lovely are just annoyingly fortunate. But most people just work hard and are motivated enough to do whatever they want. They get the results they do because they make the most of their time and study effectively and so can afford to spend some time working or socializing. I can't explain their great personality, but I never really know what people mean by that anyway. These people aren't genetic freaks...they just know what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What i want to know is how the hell these people do it, the ones that are so bloody brilliant academically, perform at the highest level and are one of the most interesting people you are ever likely to meet.

They also have a great social life, going out to parties etc etc.
    Why do you even want to have all those things? Is this really the most important thing in life? Just find something you're interested in and do that. Seriously, just do what makes you happy. This is where good people come from -- not from well-rounded excellence.

EDIT:
    (Original post by sugarlumps.)
    I guess some people are just lucky. Those born naturally gorgeous, stupidly clever and indisputably lovely are just annoyingly fortunate. But most people just work hard and are motivated enough to do whatever they want. They get the results they do because they make the most of their time and study effectively and so can afford to spend some time working or socializing. I can't explain their great personality, but I never really know what people mean by that anyway. These people aren't genetic freaks...they just know what they want.
    Good point. OP, if you set yourself some goals (and stick to them, obviously), you may find yourself making more substantial achievements.

ReputationRep:
    **** exams, at the end of the day, you don't need grades to be succesful and happy in life. look at top people : richard branson, alan sugar, rooney all don't have many qualifications

:eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    without sounding arrogant (well thats not going to work), I think Im one of these people. everyone tells me I am and after introspection I reallise I am, lol.

basically, Im lucky to be naturally intelligent and have that "good at most things" thing. I also grew into a family that gave me a lot of opportunities too. nevertheless, I always make a concious effort to improve my life. I never waste time. never throw away opportunity. Im always thinking about what I want in life and how I can go about making it happen. Im not perfect, but I always make an effort to fix what I can.

e.g. when i was younger I wasnt very socialable. however, a few years ago I decided that I should fix it and I made a concious effort to be more socialable. as a result, now im very socialable, most people like me and say im a socialable person. it didnt have that natural confidence from birth, I made the effort to fix it.

I think thats what gives me the edge on life over quite a lot of people. reading "the 7 habits of highly effective people" was the time that I started to take life seriously and decide, what I want, how can I go about getting it.

I know exactly what I want out of life and so far my plan for achieving it is going perfectly I do awesomely at school, have great job prospects, have great friends, do lots of extreme sports (my passion in life), am a semi pro photographer, run a huge mountain bike community (gets me lots of mountain bike friends ), have a lot of money to fuel my passions (rewards for me doing well at school). overall I love what I do.

I think it boils down to:

not complaining about what you have been given in life (there is always someone with better opportunities, always someone with worse). just accept it.

never waste an opportunity. and make opportunities happen.

figure out what you want and work out how to get it.

have fun

ReputationRep:
    I'm academically very successful - straight As at GCSEs and A Levels; a First Class degree from an Oxbridge university. A Masters from the LSE. I'm athletic and sporty. I have a wide circle of friends. I will be starting a high-flying career in the City and, not surprisingly, I must have a great personality to be able to work in Corporate Finance. I commonly get comments about my handsome looks.

I'm conscious about how certain people behave when I am introduced to them - some are really nice and others are openly envious. The nice ones tend to be the women - some are really turned on by my achievements and the potential of my status. But I'm puzzled about the ones who are envious. Why should they need to feel that way about someone successful? They've worked extremely hard and have had to make a great deal of sacrifices.

Finally, would it make others even more envious if I were to get engaged to a hot, intelligent woman?
    On the downside, you make a habit of blowing your own trumpet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramanprakash100)
    **** exams, at the end of the day, you don't need grades to be succesful and happy in life. look at top people : richard branson, alan sugar, rooney all don't have many qualifications

:eek: :p:
    They're few and far between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cereal Killer II)
    Yes, that would be the envy acting up.
    Nope, that's just the inferiority complex sinking in.

Superiority in the day, inferiority at night.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you people get bored of envying other people?! Just get on with your own lives for jebus sake, the people you envy are out there doing something and you're just whining :rolleyes: There's your reason why you're boring.

i had no friends in year 7-9 and wasnt an amazingly good student (i had the intelligence but lacked the enthusiam in my class and was in the top 20-30% which wasnt realy good enough for me).. i saw ppl i liked and looked upto and wanted to be like and at the end of year 9 i decided to change .. i befriended the people i looked upto and for 4 years they were my inspiration and the people i always tried to match in success, both in their personal lives and academic.. i now, finally, in year 14, feel that i match upto them all,being in the top 5% in the country, having secured a place in a top london uni to study law,and having an amazingly close circle of friends and a gorgeous bf.. i couldnt have got all of this if i hadnt have had these people to look upto as they helped me so much (more than they'll ever understand) and they were the ones who motivated me to work my hardest to achieve my full potential... this isnt a post to gloat as its not something i just stumbled upon, i worked for it all.. and thats my answer to the first post.. if you want something/to be someone in life then you have to work your hardest at it and take inspiration for anywhere you can...don't quit till you've got it as the people who succeed in life know not of failure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEnglish)
    Don't you people get bored of envying other people?! Just get on with your own lives for jebus sake, the people you envy are out there doing something and you're just whining :rolleyes: There's your reason why you're boring.
    I do, I just like social voyeurism on my downtime.

ReputationRep:
    I manage to achieve all of the above to the maximum and i excel at doing so. The jealousy of my peers is always only temporary since I am a well meaning, modest human being. You should not feel jealous; strive to be yourself for that is all you can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noleafclover1999)
    Nope, that's just the inferiority complex sinking in.

Superiority in the day, inferiority at night.
    Well, what can I say? At the end of the day, it's them with their A*s, million dollar job and family - "spiritual happiness" can be gained should they choose to do so - assuming it was never there in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cereal Killer II)
    Well, what can I say? At the end of the day, it's them with their A*s, million dollar job and family - "spiritual happiness" can be gained should they choose to do so - assuming it was never there in the first place.
    Technically I fall within the categories, I'm an A student, I have great friends whom I wouldn't trade and my personality is strong when I'm around people. I am just a product of negative experiences in my life when I am alone, and no, you may not comment on that as you have no idea on those details.

ReputationRep:
    2 words: public schools.

No, they're just the best of the best. Is it so hard to accept that, they do all these different things and they do them well? A lot of what people say about them reeks of jealousy. It's their life, you should be out their enjoying your own.

ReputationRep:
    They probably aren't as social as they make out!

ReputationRep:
    What i want to know is how the hell these people do it, the ones that are so bloody brilliant academically, perform at the highest level and are one of the most interesting people you are ever likely to meet.

How do they do it???

I know people that do this, i know lots of people like this, and i cant help but ask myself, how?

I was told today that i am none of these things, and well, its true, the person that told me performed well in GCSE's and is now looking at a life at a top University doing law...

I seem to have nothing, bugger all.

I want to change this, i want to be like them, should i? Or should i be like i am now for the rest of my life, a social outcast and a constant underachiever who its near on impossible to hold a half decent conversation with???

Help?, i think so...
    Is it me or is that quite an out of order thing to say to someone. To be honest I think properly great people make other people feel good about themselves I dont know the context but sounds like they were just putting you down? If thats the case then I wouldnt worry bout trying to be like them.

How do they do it???

I know people that do this, i know lots of people like this, and i cant help but ask myself, how?

I was told today that i am none of these things, and well, its true, the person that told me performed well in GCSE's and is now looking at a life at a top University doing law...

I seem to have nothing, bugger all.

I want to change this, i want to be like them, should i? Or should i be like i am now for the rest of my life, a social outcast and a constant underachiever who its near on impossible to hold a half decent conversation with???

Help?, i think so...

To be honest ... we need to accept the fact that all human beings are different .. not every one can become albert einstein .. no matter how hard you try to become like him ...

I personally call these kind of people sort of naturally unusually gifted with many things at the same time.
    Most of us ... generally are really good at some of the things and not so good at others ... i.e. some one may be really good at sport but weak at academics ..cultural etc. ..someones personality might be dashing but intelligence may not be that good .. etc. etc.
    However, some rare people are really good at most of the things .. they are rare but they do exist ...

so .. i would say dont compare yourself with people and try being like them .. coz i have realised with self experience that this thinking leads to a never ending chase .. coz every now and then we find some one we admire and try being like them....years pass by doing this and we sometimes realise that we dont even know ourselves ...

rather if you know your short comings ... work hard on them ..but keep your present state i.e. a model with shortcomings as a bench mark for comparison for all the improvements you make in future ....work on single issues at a time i.e. if you are under achiever ... work hard on achieving your goals untill you start to get into a habit of achieving your goals on a usual basis..either by hard work or by smart work .. but then compare this development in yourself against your own previous state ... coz then you will really know how you are developing yourself .. and what else in you needs attention... however if you look at the rest of the world and ppl who are better than you .. its only going to develop inferiority complex .. which is not helpful ...
    Best thing is to know ourselves and be proud of what we are ..we all have capabilities to perform well .. its just that some people are able to demonstrate those abilities natrurally from the very begining of their lives .. and some achive them by working hard on them ....you and i fall in the latter category budds !!!

this is just my opinion developed through my experience .... it may or may not hold good in your case ...you are the best judge mate!!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry that much about it, these people you speak of are rarer than you think and by the end of the day there's no point being jealous when everyone else is probably jealous of them, too. It doesn't even necessarily mean they have a 'better' or more 'fulfilling' life, so to speak; everyone has different goals and aspirations and if you dwell on such thoughts you're only adding more obstacles to achieving them.

ReputationRep:
    i honestly just think it's who they are. if that makes sense? err
    i have pretty good grades, i have plenty of lovely friends and a tasty social life, a job, my personality is... decent, but not bland. so there is no other halfff, but i think i do quite well for myself (:
    one thing i'll say, is that there's rarely time for yourself when you're trying to keep it all together like that.
    so often i'll just want to tell everone to go away and curl up in my bed for a week, but staying in for a whole weekend gets me really upset so i just have to get out and see people!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.