Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalBizzle)
    Unfortunately, when I (and many other people) am on the motorway it is for journeys of at least 5 hours, concentration at the level you expect is very difficult for a long period of time.
    Then you shouldnt be on the motorway or take breaks,

Its not that much concentration to look ahead and plan !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Motorway driving needs to be in the practical test imo, anyone agree with me here?
    No, especially since there is no motorway within 2 hours of where I live, but I do think the Pass Plus should be compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Motorway driving needs to be in the practical test imo, anyone agree with me here?
    I don't. It would require a change in the law anyway, but I think that dual carriage way driving in lessons should be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    absolutely. and what you described does wind me up something chronic.
    but in the end I suppose it's better that people jump to conclusions and hit the brakes rather than, if they have awful concentration, attempt to make close calls on what's going on when travelling in a huge chunk of metal at 70+mph. not the perfect scenario, but I prefer inconvenience to dangerous driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Then you shouldnt be on the motorway or take breaks,

Its not that much concentration to look ahead and plan !
    Meh, I can't really respond to that, except to disagree. I break enough to keep me and the motorway safe. I find motorways so dull that I would need a break every 10 minutes to be at peak concentration, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LethalBizzle)
    Unfortunately, when I (and many other people) am on the motorway it is for journeys of at least 5 hours, concentration at the level you expect is very difficult for a long period of time.
    That's why the recommendation for car drivers is to take regular breaks, and it's complusary for heavy goods and tacho'd vehicle drivers to do so.

ReputationRep:
    ok, pass plus should be compulsory, people agree with that ?

IMO there needs to be some sort of test or teaching on how people need to drive on motorways, would reduce the amount of traffic by miles ( :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnocentEyes)
    absolutely. and what you described does wind me up something chronic.
    but in the end I suppose it's better that people jump to conclusions and hit the brakes rather than, if they have awful concentration, attempt to make close calls on what's going on when travelling in a huge chunk of metal at 70+mph. not the perfect scenario, but I prefer inconvenience to dangerous driving
    Even if you dont look ahead, if you keep a good distance, 8/10 you can absorb the braking within your gap..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Even if you dont look ahead, if you keep a good distance, 8/10 you can absorb the braking within your gap..
    yeah my point was that 8/10 isn't good enough for me in that scenario :p:
    tbf a heck of a lot of people don't keep the right distance either, but that could be covered to a greater extent during instruction I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    That's why the recommendation for car drivers is to take regular breaks, and it's complusary for heavy goods and tacho'd vehicle drivers to do so.
    See my post above yours, I confess to not taking enough breaks to be able to be judging the movements 6-7 cars infront, and controlling my speed on this, that's just not gonna happen with every driver on the road. I take breaks to keep me alert and safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Agree with that. From some of the driving you see going on its clear alot of people simply dont understand the basics of driving on a road with more than 3 lanes! Keep left FFS, and dont sit in the outside lane doing 70mph when there lanes next to you that are completely empty, dont slam your brakes on constantly, dont sit 2ft from my rear bumper when theres a queu. grrrr! I hate our poxy motorways :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand the..you have to be an amazing driver.. to do this sorta stuff....what leave a flippin gap and use your gas pedal :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I cant wait until all cars on the motorway are computer controlled. Hopefully using a system designed by my company. Then when I issue a command, all cars are forced left and I can drive down the outside lane with no worries

ReputationRep:
    traffic jams are awesome, you get to see all different kinds of people and their cars. also bit of advice, dont make funny faces or finger signs at "funny" people cause inevitably their lane will start moving when yours isnt and they will get you back! :P

ReputationRep:
    I think in future, developments in cruise control with auto braking and lane sensors will be able to reduce a lot of the unnecessary traffic jams and increase the efficiency of our motorways quite substantially. The question is would you trust a computer with your life?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I trust the computer that flies a plane every time I travel not to decide to turn of the fuel supply mid air etc. I'm sure the same could be done in cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragooon)
    I think in future, developments in cruise control with auto braking and lane sensors will be able to reduce a lot of the unnecessary traffic jams and increase the efficiency of our motorways quite substantially. The question is would you trust a computer with your life?
    I trust it entirely in my dads company car absolute no issues so far from what ive heard/seen

ReputationRep:
    What car is that? You have really amazing cars! If you don't mind me asking, what does your dad do?

ReputationRep:
    Caravans are to blame for all road problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    Caravans are to blame for all road problems
    no thats just for weekends and bank holidays

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.