Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel B Global Chall exam - DONE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am really unsure if i will get the marks

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was okayish considering i this was my 3rd resit and i was up all night doing my coursework! Did the climate question; increase temp greenhouse gasses global warming etc etc etc. Did the immigration one for part 2. And the spending of wealth for part 3. Well hopefully i done something right this time. Tho i still thought 2hrs was shooort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tvqueen1905)
    I made the right decision in cramming for 2 hours this morning as i revised the stuff which answered the questions in the exam.

i didn't revise ecosystems and that gamble paid off

i did question 1

section B i did question 5

cross unit was awful but i think did ok, i chose 7 but then realised maybe i should have done 8

better than i thought
    same here!!! I think it went well apart from in question 1 i TOTALLY mind blanked about which way the wind circles areas of low pressure, then in question 2 I misread the stupid graph, started writing about Latin American countries and trends and then realised that the data I was looking at was for Africa - grrrr!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_2)
    same here!!! I think it went well apart from in question 1 i TOTALLY mind blanked about which way the wind circles areas of low pressure, then in question 2 I misread the stupid graph, started writing about Latin American countries and trends and then realised that the data I was looking at was for Africa - grrrr!!
    damn i forgot to talk about which way the wind circles

there was som uch i didn't write and i think i have lost marks

and got part b of question 7 wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob 106)
    To anyone who did the climate change question (q2 i think).

It goes something like "examine the ways both national policy and local action can limit the effects of climate change"

I took this to mean what can be done about preventing it and went on a rant about green taxs and promotion of public transport, but thinking about it now should i have written about living with climate change rather than preventing it. Eg moving to high ground.
    What did you guys put?
    I thought I did well on that question, but now you mention it....

I wrote the same things as you, reneweable energy, public transport etc, you've got me worried now If we're wrong, its a bit of a sinister move by the examiners, I think the vast majority of people would interpret the question as we did.

ReputationRep:
    In reference to the national and local action for climate change i talked about the following:
    1. Green taxes
    2. Kyoto protocol (may be more international but tried to link with national)
    3. Public transport
    ..cant remember what else.

I had a complete mind blank on the first part of the question though. I talked about CO2 levels, greenhouse gases, etc.

Found the migration question okay. The first part was relatively easy. Quoted figures from the graph and explained that economic migrants tend to move for jobs (more likely in Europe), improved quality of life, etc. Whereas for refugees cannot afford to move long distances, do not have much knowledge about the rest of world, many move illegally, etc.

For the second part which was about benefits to host country i talked about filling labour shortages, overcoming ageing population, bringing in required skills, etc.

In the cross sectional part i done the list of priorities question. I looked at both sides, firstly saying that the list was in the correct order and justifying this. I then went on to talk about how it was not the correct order, and in my conclusion drew up my own list.

For the other part of the question i choose HIV/AIDs problem and food production and explained why they are difficult to overcome. E.g. hiv spreading because of poor education, lack of contraception, expense of drugs. For food production i talked about over-cultivation leading to soil erosion. I also looked at Malthus's theory how poor farming practices are incorporated, and ill education makes it difficult to incoroporate correct farming methods.

For anyone who has done any of these questions, do you think i am along the right lines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamteam)
    In reference to the national and local action for climate change i talked about the following:
    1. Green taxes
    2. Kyoto protocol (may be more international but tried to link with national)
    3. Public transport
    ..cant remember what else.

I had a complete mind blank on the first part of the question though. I talked about CO2 levels, greenhouse gases, etc.

Found the migration question okay. The first part was relatively easy. Quoted figures from the graph and explained that economic migrants tend to move for jobs (more likely in Europe), improved quality of life, etc. Whereas for refugees cannot afford to move long distances, do not have much knowledge about the rest of world, many move illegally, etc.

For the second part which was about benefits to host country i talked about filling labour shortages, overcoming ageing population, bringing in required skills, etc.

In the cross sectional part i done the list of priorities question. I looked at both sides, firstly saying that the list was in the correct order and justifying this. I then went on to talk about how it was not the correct order, and in my conclusion drew up my own list.

For the other part of the question i choose HIV/AIDs problem and food production and explained why they are difficult to overcome. E.g. hiv spreading because of poor education, lack of contraception, expense of drugs. For food production i talked about over-cultivation leading to soil erosion. I also looked at Malthus's theory how poor farming practices are incorporated, and ill education makes it difficult to incoroporate correct farming methods.

For anyone who has done any of these questions, do you think i am along the right lines?
    I am scared now didn't think of writing that for migration question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamteam)
    Pretty much the same questions and answers as me give or take a few things. I argued that the list of priorities was entirely correct and then did HIV/AIDS and Climate change as the difficult to solve ones. I don't think the order of priorities you choose matters, just whether you back it up.

I mentioned industrialisation and increase in car use for climate change effects, then wrote some rubbish about meteorites and volcanoes to explain the medieval warm period.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah for the first part of the global warming question i talked about the temperature cycle in the world. I.e. there is a warm period followed by a cold period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hundingsbane)
    I thought I did well on that question, but now you mention it....

I wrote the same things as you, reneweable energy, public transport etc, you've got me worried now If we're wrong, its a bit of a sinister move by the examiners, I think the vast majority of people would interpret the question as we did.
    Well at least it is not just me :p:

hopefully the examiners will be kind , and i agree i think that is how most people will interpret it. I'm probably worrying about nothing

I guess we'll find out on results day... Good luck!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If anyone wants, I can post up the exact wording of the questions...?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be good Geogger
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Section A
    1 Diagram showing weather chart for 18 May with depression centred over N Ireland
    a) Explain the different weather conditions experienced by Jan, John and Mike (12)
    b) Using examples, explain how the weather associated with the passage of depressions can sometimes called management problems (13)

2 Diagram showing longer, medium and short-term trends in global temperatures
    a) Explain the likely physical and human causes of the climate trends shown (12)
    b) Suggest how both national policies and local actions might help to lessen the impact of future climate change (13)

3 World map showing selected species extinction hotspots
    a) Explain the processes that may be causing extinction of species in the three groups of hotspots shown (12)
    b) Evaluate the role of named organisations and groups in protecting and managing biodiversity (13)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Section B

4. Graphs showing projected population change in the UK from the last census (2001)
    a) using the data in Fig 4, explain the gradual, but uncertain, projected rise in UK total population from 2001. (12)
    b) Using named examples, assess the chances of countries achieving an 'optimum population' (13)

5. 2 x 3D bar graphs showing trends in international economic migrants and refugees 1970 - 2005
    a) Compare the trends in destinations of economic migrants with those of refugees. Suggest reasons for the differences. (12)
    b) There are many types of international migrant. For named host countries, explain why some migrants may bevalued more than others (13)

6. Diagram showing four groups of 'players' in the global economy and economic prosperity.
    a) Choose two of the groups of players in the global economy from Fig 6. Explain how each of them can influence the economic prosperity of countries (12)
    b) Assess the impacts of the global shift in one named manufacturing or service industry (13)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Section A
    1 Diagram showing weather chart for 18 May with depression centred over N Ireland
    a) Explain the different weather conditions experienced by Jan, John and Mike (12)
    b) Using examples, explain how the weather associated with the passage of depressions can sometimes called management problems (13)

2 Diagram showing longer, medium and short-term trends in global temperatures
    a) Explain the likely physical and human causes of the climate trends shown (12)
    b) Suggest how both national policies and local actions might help to lessen the impact of future climate change (13)

3 World map showing selected species extinction hotspots
    a) Explain the processes that may be causing extinction of species in the three groups of hotspots shown (12)
    b) Evaluate the role of named organisations and groups in protecting and managing biodiversity (13)
    i would never have been able to do number 3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Section C

7. Worldmapper topological map of global wealth change 1975-2002 and plain world map showing key countries
    a) What are the possible consequences for people and the environment of the pattern of wealth change shown in Fig 7? (15)
    b) Assess two contrasting ways of increasing wealth in the world's poorest countries (15)

8. Diagram showing Global priorities of 8 leading economists on how best to spend $50 billion
    a) To what extent do you think this order of priorities is justified? (15)
    b) Choose two global concerns from fig 8. Explain why your chosen concerns are proving difficult to solve (15)

9. Diagram showing rising global resource consumption 1970 - 2005 (fish, wood oil meat and water)
    a) What are the possible implications for the environment of such rises in resource consumption? (15)
    b) Evaluate a range of strategies that might make resource consumption more sustainable (15)

Phew!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Geogger... if only i'd known that a week ago

ReputationRep:
    i should have done 8:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone elseo do question 9?

I did but i cant remember what i wrote!

I felt like that exam was a LOT different to all the practice ones we'd done, especially the ecosystem question! I didnt have a clue!!

Maybe its just me though Lol

ReputationRep:
    I just realised for Q 2a whilst I talked about human impacts about burning fossil fuels and releasing greenhouse gases but I didn't actually explain the greenhouse effect! Is that really bad? Ugh I can't believe i didn't. I wrote section A last so I think I was running out of steam a bit but still...!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2008

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.