Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A.)
    On being difficult. 1 to 10.

Thats what I hated the most, no hard questions on chap 1. I was so good on it.

Yea if you can post the answers that would be great.

I know for the last part it was cos theta = -2/3 (Unstable i think)

let me think about them.

.A.
    My memory isn't that great. so here goes

Question 1: 260 degrees
    Question 2: the velocity i got was either (-i + j) or ( i -j) one of those and ten the speed is root 2.

Question 3: was this the find tan theta question? if so I remember getting tan theta = 1/2 as my answer.

Question 4 : Was this the air resistance one with the ball travelling at speed U and find the time it takes to get to 2U ? if so My answer something like  \frac{1}{k} \ln \left( \frac{g - kU}{g-2kU}  \right)

Question 5: I think this was that funny DE question, They I think they didn't think they allocated marks fairly, as the first part was 6 marks for using Newton second law and the more difficult part of solving the DE was also 6 marks but it was much harder, I dont remember exactly what i got as the solution but i remember it being double roots, but for the final answer i am fairly sure i got  \frac{2}{3w}

Question 6: The first part you need to draw a velocity triangle, I had 5 ms-1 as he hypotenuse, V as the vertical and x/10 as he horizontal, then use Pythagorus to get their thing. for part b) I differentiated with respect to x to get their equation. and for the final part i got the time as 6.4 seconds.

Question 7: -2/3 sounds familiar, I forget which one i got an stable/unstable, but i do remember that one was stable and the other wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobx2001)

Question 2: the velocity i got was either (-i + j) or ( i -j) one of those and ten the speed is root 2.

Question 3: was this the find tan theta question? if so I remember getting tan theta = 1/2 as my answer.

Question 4 : Was this the air resistance one with the ball travelling at speed U and find the time it takes to get to 2U ? if so My answer something like  \frac{1}{k} \ln \left( \frac{g - kU}{g-2kU}  \right)

Question 5: I think this was that funny DE question, They I think they didn't think they allocated marks fairly, as the first part was 6 marks for using Newton second law and the more difficult part of solving the DE was also 6 marks but it was much harder, I dont remember exactly what i got as the solution but i remember it being double roots, but for the final answer i am fairly sure i got  \frac{2}{3w}

Question 6: The first part you need to draw a velocity triangle, I had 5 ms-1 as he hypotenuse, V as the vertical and x/10 as he horizontal, then use Pythagorus to get their thing. for part b) I differentiated with respect to x to get their equation. and for the final part i got the time as 6.4 seconds.

Question 7: -2/3 sounds familiar, I forget which one i got an stable/unstable, but i do remember that one was stable and the other wasn't.
    My answers for Q 1,3,4 and 7 (ofcourse) match yours.
    Q2. Flopped. Hoping to get couple of method marks for momentum and stuff.
    Q5 I think it was something similar to you but from what i remeber it had something else too. W^2=l/g or something like that. But there was something else there too.

O6. Got part b right. I guess for part c you had to have got part a right so prob 3/9 for part c (as i coudnt figure out what would be the value of dx/dt at t=o).

.A.

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain how they got 260 for q1? wasn't it -2i+11j the relative velocity?

Does anybody have the paper btw?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I got -2i + 11j for the velocity so the bearing was 349.7.

ReputationRep:
    yes i think i got something like that too !! i remember using tan theta is 11/2 ..

ReputationRep:
    1. 349.7
    2. root 2
    3. tan theta = 0.5
    4. can't remember
    5. 2/3w
    6. 6.44 s
    7. -2/3 unstable

ReputationRep:
    yeah your right the bearing was 349.7 , I did 180 + arctan(11/2) instead of the more correct 270 + arctan (11/2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobx2001)

Your Question 1 is wrong I think, I got 350

Question two is correct

Question three correct

Question four is correct,

Question five is fine,

Question six was 6.44 seconds for me, a weird relative motion question... they combined it with DE

Question 7 was cos X = -2/3 Unstable eq. and cos X = 3/4 stable eq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaLvI)
    can someone explain how they got 260 for q1? wasn't it -2i+11j the relative velocity?

Does anybody have the paper btw?
    I thought everybody had the paper by now...

ReputationRep:
    Have fun with it
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 6680_01_que_20080612.pdf (500.8 KB, 94 views)

ReputationRep:
    thnx for the paper!

ok can somebody tell me how u prove exercise 6b) since the differentiation of V^2 is 2dxt/dt d^2x/dt^2
    I could not prove it using that so i did
    V^2 is 2d^2x/dt^2

what's the proper way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaLvI)
    thnx for the paper!

ok can somebody tell me how u prove exercise 6b) since the differentiation of V^2 is 2dxt/dt d^2x/dt^2
    I could not prove it using that so i did
    V^2 is 2d^2x/dt^2

what's the proper way?
     100v^2 + x^2 = 2500
     \frac{d}{dx}(100v^2 + x^2 )= 0
     200v \frac{dv}{dx} + 2x = 0
     \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{x}{100} = 0

ReputationRep:
    ok thats more sensible than what i did..

I did..

100v^2=2500-x^2
    200d^2x/dt2=2x

:PP i guess this will score zero marks out of four?

ReputationRep:
    I found the paper hard, I wasn't happy with it. Unfortunately, one of the other (two) people who did it said "it could have been worse", I was kinda hoping for an "argh that was terrible" type thing :p:

I think I can max get a C... and seeming as I need to get an A to get to Imperial, I need 76 UMS points average on FP1 and FP2, and FP2 has never really been my strong suit...

Oh well, I'll just have to hope and do loads of past papers :p: unfortunately I've got French on Monday too...

Pretty hard paper I thought though, overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaLvI)
    ok thats more sensible than what i did..

I did..

100v^2=2500-x^2
    200d^2x/dt2=2x

:PP i guess this will score zero marks out of four?
    I mean, I really can't understand where you're coming from

v= dx/dt
    hence
    100 v^2 is equivalent to 100(dx/dt)^2 and then what I did was to differentiate implicitly on both sides of the equation with respect to t hence

100(dx/dt)^2 = 2500 - x^2

Thus by implicit differentiation

200(dx/dt)(d^2x/dt^2) = -2x(dx/dt) --> you cancel a dx/dt on both sides and divide by 200 to get

(d^2x/dt^2) = -(1/100)x

Which rearranged gives you

(d^2x/dt^2) + (1/100)x = 0

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do 6a. But went on to get 6b right. Will I get 4 marks for 6b as or not as the questions said HENCE show that.

.A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A.)
    I didnt do 6a. But went on to get 6b right. Will I get 4 marks for 6b as or not as the questions said HENCE show that.

.A.
    Yeah you'll get the marks, cos the answer was given in part a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A.)

.A.
    All you had to do for 6a was to draw a rather easy right angled triangle with sides 5 has the hypotenuse, (1/10)x and v.

v^2 + 1/100 x^2 = 25 and you're good..

But you will get the marks for 6b though

1 wrong, 2 wrong, 3 wrong, 4 right, 5 wrong, 6 and 7 right

:mad:

looking like c. 45/75 pour moi

ReputationRep:
    What do you people reckon A would be. I reckon 60/75.

.A.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.