Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But what is wrong with posting now 'past papers'? The 4.30am deadline has already passed and everyone should either have taken the paper by now, or are in strict isolation so that they take the paper today due to exam clashes.

The question paper is protected under copyright law, yes so there is a argument that this should not be posted. But this should then spread to all other papers. Why aren't other papers banned? I haven't stolen the paper. I haven't stolen the chief examiners' laptop.

The mark scheme is my own work. That is not subject to copyright laws. Infact, I TheTallOne release that mark scheme into the public domain.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by IChem)
    What, something along the lines of freeexampapers.com....?
    Websites like that get closed down on a daily basis. Some survive longer than others. That one I wasn't aware of.

ReputationRep:
    But it's been fine to have the papers for the other exams

And how can there be a problem with the markscheme, he made it himself?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    But what is wrong with posting now 'past papers'? The 4.30am deadline has already passed and everyone should either have taken the paper by now, or are in strict isolation so that they take the paper today due to exam clashes.

The question paper is protected under copyright law, yes so there is a argument that this should not be posted. But this should then spread to all other papers. Why aren't other papers banned? I haven't stolen the paper. I haven't stolen the chief examiners' laptop.

The mark scheme is my own work. That is not subject to copyright laws. Infact, I TheTallOne release that mark scheme into the public domain.
    How gracious of you:p:

However as I have said before, I don't think it's about copyright, it's just that TSR for some reason don't want the most recent papers on their forums, else there would be no past paper/mark scheme request threads from any year!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

The mark scheme isn't entirely your own work - in fact, it's the answers to the Edexcel paper, so you've "plagiarised" the Edexcel paper and whatever mark schemes they already hold copyright over. And yes, all the other papers (except the ones they release on their website) are banned; you're also not allowed to post papers for any commercial gain, which happens on TSR through adverts and stuff. So, long story short, the papers on TSR are entirely illegal. It's just completely beyond anyone's capability to clear them up, so no one does. But if Edexcel ask them to, TSR has to crack down on it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    Nope, it hasn't. Just because no one tells you off for it... :p:

(Original post by pcok)
    Plagiarism of the past paper. It's essentially a rewording of it, with extra information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)

I agree - there's nothing different between a markscheme and this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=595831

The answers are given in both instances, only that I added the letters A1, B1 and M1.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as if Edexcel aren't giving away their papers for free anyway, on their own site, if you know a centre number (or you don't have the chutzpah to try a few made-up centre numbers, in which case you have to pay :p:).

I see why they do it - but I certainly don't agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    The mark scheme isn't entirely your own work - in fact, it's the answers to the Edexcel paper, so you've "plagiarised" the Edexcel paper and whatever mark schemes they already hold copyright over. And yes, all the other papers (except the ones they release on their website) are banned; you're also not allowed to post papers for any commercial gain, which happens on TSR through adverts and stuff. So, long story short, the papers on TSR are entirely illegal. It's just completely beyond anyone's capability to clear them up, so no one does. But if Edexcel ask them to, TSR has to crack down on it.
    Edexcel have put in on their website:
    http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...e_20080606.pdf

That is a link to Edexcel's website - surely that's fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adje)
    It's not as if Edexcel aren't giving away their papers for free anyway, on their own site, if you know a centre number (or you don't have the chutzpah to try a few made-up centre numbers, in which case you have to pay :p:).

Hehe, we have another Yiddische fellow on here! How wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    Lol well it's just wierd then cos they haven't done anything about the other ones, but oh well it's over now, and besides I've already looked at it and now have it saved on my laptop lol, so I'm not bothered.

I hope someone manages to put the C4 one up though!

ReputationRep:

Lol I didn't know they put them up straight away! Yeah now I really don't see the problem?! But yeah that link should be fine. Bit strange that they deleted the entire thread when you could have just put that link up or just not had it in there though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Considering the URL says "Confidential Documents" on it, I would suspect not and you've been slightly naughty and used a centre number or something that you're not allowed to use.

(Original post by Adje)
    It's not as if Edexcel aren't giving away their papers for free anyway, on their own site, if you know a centre number (or you don't have the chutzpah to try a few made-up centre numbers, in which case you have to pay ).

Yes, but you're not allowed to do that. :p: I know how easy it is to steal Edexcel papers, but no matter how easy they make it, it's still against their rules. They could throw the papers around the UK like confetti and it'd still be illegal to post them on the internet, as long as they stipulated so. :p:

ReputationRep:

How did you access that? Is there a direct route, or have you employed extreme cunning...? The 2008 papers aren't linked on the past paper list page, so there must have been some sneaky URL editing going on

ReputationRep:
    I was just on that post! I wondered where it had gone as I tried to get on it again

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel link to their past paper site from their home page:
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/home/
    It links to here:
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gce/...s/pp3years.htm
    Which in turn links to here:
    http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

Now enter a centre number - which just so happens my school has a centre number, and they also use Edexcel as an exam board - and you have past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adje)
    How did you access that? Is there a direct route, or have you employed extreme cunning...? The 2008 papers aren't linked on the past paper list page, so there must have been some sneaky URL editing going on
    A small amount of cunning is required.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    But if they don't want people to have access to the past papers, Edexcel should not leave their question papers and markschemes open to the internet.

Google the following search string and you can see 17 pdf files, unprotected.
    site:eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Reports/Confidential%20Documents/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Edexcel link to their past paper site from their home page:
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/home/
    It links to here:
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/gce/...s/pp3years.htm
    Which in turn links to here:
    http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/

Now enter a centre number - which just so happens my school has a centre number, and they also use Edexcel as an exam board - and you have past papers.
    Of course, but all you're saying is "it's very easy to steal Edexcel papers because I know the required information to do so". Doesn't mean it's allowed. The website says it itself: they "may be downloaded and printed for internal school/college purposes only". The centre number is meant to be used by an exam officer or member of staff at your school, no one else.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.