Turn on thread page Beta

Should TSR remove the swear filter? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you really think that in this modern age, we should censor peoples words?
    Yes
    38.10%
    No
    61.90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JR`)
    Question: Should TSR Remove the swear filter?

Answer: No.
    :ditto:

The poll results are irrelevant, due to the stupid way the OP has decided to confuse everyone.

(Original post by Mondo Weirdo)
    aren't most interactive forums blocked by schools anyway?
    Not at mine. Some pages in the subs areas where you are allowed to swear are blocked, but the site as a whole (and most other forums) aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    no, it would be blocked by schools, unis, librarys, work places
    do unis librarys or work places really block swear words lol? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    What is wrong with a god-damned word?

Nobody was ever hurt by a word, only the intention behind it. You can't filter people out for nasty and nice, this is real life, so why stop their freedom of speech?

To misquote lenny bruce;
    "Take away the right to say **** and you take away the right to say **** TSR"
    You've got some interesting views there, hadn't really thought about it in that way before, and I think you make a valid argument. However, I guess as these words have become so offensive, and people would become offended by posts that contained swearing, I guess there's not much else TSR etc can do but filter them. It is annoying though but there you go, that's life!

ReputationRep:
    You can pretty much guess what the swear word is as long as it's not **** or ****.

ReputationRep:
    how about they have a filter option? that is on automatically so that when people visit on school computers it doesnt show swearing

but you can choose to turn the filter off if you're really that bothered about not reading asterisks.

ReputationRep:
    oww =[

well im not bothered about it anyway i really dont think it matters whether swearing is censored because it's pretty obvious when someones swearing.

its not like if we can't see the word that the sentence makes no sense. the filter just seems practical to me, with schools and that. =\

I may have asked this before, but is there any reason why we don't display the first letter of the filtered word to reduce ambiguities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    A lot of the TSR traffic comes from schools and unis. Schools certainly often have a filter which prevents pages with profanity on from being viewed through the school network. Not having the swear filter would mean TSR being banned from plenty of schools. Somehow doesn't seem worth it for the sake of a four letter word. Everybody knows what you mean if you write **** - it doesn't need to be the actual letters to convey your meaning so why do you care?
    The swear filter could be set to selective, i.e. such that people under 16 dont see the profanities and the parts of the site which are googleable have the filter applied unless someone is signed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wes)
    The filter doesn't work like that. Once it's filtered, it can't be reversed. Besides which, some people will be silly enough to use the unfiltered version, potentially leaving the site blocked permanently.
    Nah, the back room is unfiltered so its unlikely to make a blind bit of difference to the whole of TSR.

Though the filter could be set up differently...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.