Turn on thread page Beta

Making the Most of Your Casio fx-991ES watch

ReputationRep:
    added the matrix section, will need a final professional touch, this guide is very useful for anyone who owns the calculator but does not know the potential of it making their exams a little bit easier
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adje)
    Well, since there seems to be a lot of people who don't know how to use the calculator, and I'm very, very bored, I thought I might make a resource that's slightly easier reading than a manual in Engrish, and that is reasonably clear.

What's the point of making another "students' forum" when we've got a perfectly good one right here? :p:
    Students forum isn't mine. People seem to think it is. But it really isn't. I'm simply a member of the site. If you want to take it further go ask the Admin team here. I've got a big AAM thread about it because it seems people like MB were spreading bull**** about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    Students forum isn't mine. People seem to think it is. But it really isn't. I'm simply a member of the site. If you want to take it further go ask the Admin team here.
    Relax, relax. I'm not looking for a fight. I just assumed that it was yours since you had it in your signature and linked to from your past paper site... so I think that's a reasonably fair assumption to make, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adje)
    Relax, relax. I'm not looking for a fight. I just assumed that it was yours since you had it in your signature and linked to from your past paper site... so I think that's a reasonably fair assumption to make, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:
    Indeed it would be. Just clarifying the situation up though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    I know you have to press the S<=>D, but since i never use surds and fractions in chemistry and physics exams i always have to press two buttons to get an answer, so i always end up using the linear mode which is the same as using older models.

I deserve a slap for complaining about this.
    Yes, Yes you do.

ReputationRep:
    Is this allowed in exams though? Doesn't it do symbolic algebra differentiation and/or integration?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Is this allowed in exams though? Doesn't it do symbolic algebra differentiation and/or integration?
    Yes, it's allowed in A-level exams.
    And no, it doesn't do symbolic algegra or calculus.

ReputationRep:
    -Definite Integration
    -Numerical Differentiation

Are both topics on the wiki page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    -Definite Integration
    -Numerical Differentiation

Are both topics on the wiki page
    Yes, the key words there being 'definite' and 'numerical'. Neither involves symbolic manipulation...

ReputationRep:
    Me and the beast have been together for over 13 years. Old faithful. She never lets me down. She was with me for my KS3, GCSEs and A-Levels. The damn University wouldn't let her into their examinations (she is too damn powerful). However, she was present at my first mathematical modelling job and she'll be with me for the PhD.

Ah, the old Casio FX-82SX. What a champion. Differentiation on your calculator, pfft. IN MY DAY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaaz)
    Me and the beast have been together for over 13 years. Old faithful. She never lets me down. She was with me for my KS3, GCSEs and A-Levels. The damn University wouldn't let her into their examinations (she is too damn powerful). However, she was present at my first mathematical modelling job and she'll be with me for the PhD.

Ah, the old Casio FX-82SX. What a champion. Differentiation on your calculator, pfft. IN MY DAY.
    how is it too powerful ?

ReputationRep:
    Nice, thanks for this

I really cant be bothered to read the big manual that comes with it ^^ this is much better for easily finding the methods you need,

ReputationRep:
    when i differentiate sin5 it doesnt equal cos5 - must be making some ridiculous mistake... tired

oh yeah you can use the table to work out points on complictated graphs

ReputationRep:
    Trig calculus only works in radians.

ReputationRep:
    added a bit more to the solve function

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adje)
    I've realised that a lot of people here don't really know how to use their fx-991ES for more than what, say, an fx-83ES can do. And an fx-991ES is a hell of a lot more powerful than an fx-83ES...

To that end, I've begun compiling a wiki page with (I hope) fairly basic instructions on how to get the fx-991ES to do things the fx-83ES can't do, and also to do a few things that many calculators can do (but lots of people just don't realise, or know how to get to them).

It's by no means complete yet - so contributions would be welcome!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...1ES_Calculator
    Hi, do you happen to know if it can work out the values given in the normal distribution table in s1- and if it can do so for any values of standard deviation and mean- as from the manual, it looks like it can work it out from entered data in a table.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.