Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    but they look good....
    yes they will look excellent on the back of a trailer all the time :p: hehehe

I kid you not the 147 is going to be bad in every sing way, build, reliability, comfort, handling its all gona be bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weider)
    apparently new alfas are just as reliable as anything else.
    2 things here.

1. The new alfa is irrelevant here.
    2. With the new alfa its still to early to say whether it is a reliable machine or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)

...better than a corsa would :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)

I kid you not the 147 is going to be bad in every sing way, build, reliability, comfort, handling its all gona be bad

but the sex in it would be great.

ReputationRep:
    ...better than a corsa would :p:
    If you want me to help pick out a good car tell me :

Budget
    preferences in the car
    bust size

ReputationRep:
    but the sex in it would be great.
    no sex is for a 4x4 estate, good suspension, lots of space to really do you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    How many lessons do I need?

Ask you're instructor, for women i would say on average around 30 for men i would say 25.
    What's your source for this? Is it just that "men are better drivers" (from a male's eyes)?

From what I remember, back when I learnt to drive, generally the girls passed with less lessons and after less tests than the boys. Might want to re-think your figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    2 things here.

1. The new alfa is irrelevant here.
    2. With the new alfa its still to early to say whether it is a reliable machine or not
    "alfa romeo suck, terrible build reliability every-things wrong with it on those..."

new alfas, as in modern ones. not 1997 type. are apparently just as reliable as anything else.

the 147 has been in production since 2000. so i dont know what you mean by that,

ReputationRep:
    "alfa romeo suck, terrible build reliability every-things wrong with it on those..."

new alfas, as in modern ones. not 1997 type. are apparently just as reliable as anything else.

the 147 has been in production since 2000. so i dont know what you mean by that,
    Honest John -

Mechanical, electrical and build quality problems are all too common. Poor crash test rating.

What's Bad
    Poor score in 2001 NCAP crash tests.

Paddle shift arrangement for Selaspeed on 147 doesn't work very well. Not a great drive.

Paint problems with solid lacquered black.

FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Alfa Romeo 2nd least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002; 3rd least reliable cars 1997 - 1999. Alfa Romeo had fourth highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 155.10 v/s lowest 31.93). Average for breakdowns and faults and poor for problems in 2003 Which survey. 22nd from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. 147 joint 10th bottom model and Alfa Romeo bottom marque in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Alfa Romeo 5th bottom of Reliability Index for 2004 combining average cost of repair of £392.88 with high 39.55 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk Came 6th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 72.5%. Joint 3rd from bottom in 2007 UK J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey with 74.4% score.
    What to Watch Out For
    Timing belt failures of 4 cylinder twin sparks extremely common. Timing belts, tensioners and toothed/non toothed plastic rollers need changing way before scheduled 72k miles. See TSB to change them at 36k or 4 years whichever comes first.

Early problems with Selaspeed gearbox actuator and long wait for replacement parts.

Bosch 'hot film' Mass Airflow Sensors seem to be failing regularly.

Several reports of 2.0 litre engine failures in 156s due to oil starvation when engines were full of oil points a finger at oil pump failure.

Witches brew of problems. This is just one owner's experience:-

"Here is a list of my faults of which most are on the AA report.

1) Selespeed failure to engage gear. Leaving car in dangerous position. Normally happens when on roundabout or turn when engine cold. Alfa dealer has had car in 4 times and not solved problem.

2) Alarm goes off when boot is unlocked with remote control.

3) Boot plastic gutter trim not secure at rear edge, hatch not
    aligned.

4) Oil leak.

5) Positive terminal battery cover broken.

6) CD Player skips on normal CDs even when car stationary.

7) Front Windscreen washers very poor.

8) Power Steering fluid level below minimum.

9) Handbrake cable on left not fitted properly to floor bracket.

10) Timing belt cover not fitted correctly, gap at top and loose.

11) Carpet hanging out of passenger front lower trim.

12) Carpet loose on side of center console.

13) Alternator fails to charge battery.

14) Only 25 to 26mpg.

15) Engine uses oil.

Other problems:

16) Rattles from Door trims.
    17) Rattles from rear seats.
    18) Rear seats not locking in position.
    19) Sunroof blind completely missing.
    20) Sunroof fails to open.
    21) Finish keeps coming off Selespeed Paddles on steering wheel.
    22) The Climate Control keeps going to HIGH and MAX."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Honest John -

Mechanical, electrical and build quality problems are all too common. Poor crash test rating.

What's Bad

Paddle shift arrangement for Selaspeed on 147 doesn't work very well. Not a great drive.

FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Alfa Romeo 2nd least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002; 3rd least reliable cars 1997 - 1999. Alfa Romeo had fourth highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 155.10 v/s lowest 31.93). Average for breakdowns and faults and poor for problems in 2003 Which survey. 22nd from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. 147 joint 10th bottom model and Alfa Romeo bottom marque in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Alfa Romeo 5th bottom of Reliability Index for 2004 combining average cost of repair of £392.88 with high 39.55 failures per 100 Warranty Direct policies. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk Came 6th from bottom in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 72.5%. Joint 3rd from bottom in 2007 UK J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey with 74.4% score.
    What to Watch Out For
    Timing belt failures of 4 cylinder twin sparks extremely common. Timing belts, tensioners and toothed/non toothed plastic rollers need changing way before scheduled 72k miles. See TSB to change them at 36k or 4 years whichever comes first.

Early problems with Selaspeed gearbox actuator and long wait for replacement parts.

Several reports of 2.0 litre engine failures in 156s due to oil starvation when engines were full of oil points a finger at oil pump failure.

1) Selespeed failure to engage gear. Leaving car in dangerous position. Normally happens when on roundabout or turn when engine cold. Alfa dealer has had car in 4 times and not solved problem.

aligned.

4) Oil leak.

14) Only 25 to 26mpg.

15) Engine uses oil.

Other problems:

but still looks hot with sex. better than a corsa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    If you want me to help pick out a good car tell me :

Budget
    preferences in the car
    bust size
    budget - £2000 willing for 2nd hand for nicer car

age - i'm 17?

ncb - you what?

pref - black...maybe tinted windows..

bust size- whats tha....ooh. cheeky.

ReputationRep:
    but still looks hot with sex. better than a corsa.
    Ok it looks better than a corsa, but its crap still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Honest John -

What's Bad

What to Watch Out For

aligned.

4) Oil leak.

14) Only 25 to 26mpg.

15) Engine uses oil.

Other problems:

hmm... maybe the 147 is not too go on reliablity then. however your statment about alpha's being unreliable is apparently a thing of the past and the new ones are just as good as anything else.

ReputationRep:
    budget - £2000 willing for 2nd hand for nicer car

age - i'm 17?

ncb - you what?

pref - black...maybe tinted windows..

bust size- whats tha....ooh. cheeky.
    Better of with these http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=

ReputationRep:
    hmm... maybe the 147 is not too go on reliablity then. however your statment about alpha's being unreliable is apparently a thing of the past and the new ones are just as good as anything else.
    all of that you jsut read is about the alfa 2001 onwards

ReputationRep:
    hey just a question for the OP.. or anyone that knows? whats the deal with insurance and being 17? alot of people have told me that the insurance companies are not allowed to even give insurance if the car engine size is greater than 1.5? is this true or just bs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAv.)
    hey just a question for the OP.. or anyone that knows? whats the deal with insurance and being 17? alot of people have told me that the insurance companies are not allowed to even give insurance if the car engine size is greater than 1.5? is this true or just bs?
    bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    all of that you jsut read is about the alfa 2001 onwards
    can i have the source for that,

ReputationRep:
    i quite like the ford puma....what about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAv.)
    This graph shows why insurance is expensive for young drivers. Simple as that really!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.