Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skipper)
    Sounds good. Except you should probabaly add some sort of conclusion with your own opinion.

Eg. "I think the turning point came in the Napoleonic War beacuse the French revolution meant people were now promoted with regards to their skill as opposed to their lineage."

I don't know if that's actually true but you get the idea
    Aww thanks.. I'm actually smiling now.. Again

Maybe i can still manage to miraculously pass this exam!

ReputationRep:
    I never understood this topic, I find it really hard. My teacher said you must go through it "thematically" rather than "chronically", but still don't get all the battles we're meant to write about.

Like for example if the question is on weapons, we write about how weapons were used in Napoleonic wars, civil wars and great war. But how do we talk about the battles??

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PREDICTIONS ON WHAT QUESTIONS WILL COME UP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blair001)
    I never understood this topic, I find it really hard. My teacher said you must go through it "thematically" rather than "chronically", but still don't get all the battles we're meant to write about.

Like for example if the question is on weapons, we write about how weapons were used in Napoleonic wars, civil wars and great war. But how do we talk about the battles??
    Well you would talk about exactly what you said - how weapons were used in wars - and then you would just narrow it down to include some battles. For example you would mention the Gribeauval artillery during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (lighter, fast moving, manouverable etc.) and you would discuss its effectiveness, obv it was effective because it allowed the army to move faster and i suppose you just have to try to tie in some names off battles during that time period.

You could talk about by the time of WW1, guns were fitted with metal shields to give protection from snipers. I get what you mean about trying to include weapons in with battles but hopefully they'll ask about technology rather than just weapons or artillery.

ReputationRep:
    oh and btw.. this is completely unrelated to the exam but.. how do u guys check if someones sent a new post- cos i have to keep hitting the refresh button and scrolling right the way down.. just gets annoying after a while.. any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blair001)
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PREDICTIONS ON WHAT QUESTIONS WILL COME UP?
    I know I'll sound like an ******** so apologies in advance but it's a risky strategy question spotting. Sometimes it works but it's the academic equiavlent of England winning a tournament....it COULD happen...just don't count on it

miss.panesar, don't worry about the exam. You seem to have the knowledge and technique to do fine.

ReputationRep:
    miss.panesar...

if it asks about generalship, you would talk about good generals i.e. napoleion and bad medictore generals e.g. wellington, haig etc.

in this you say how generalship help i.e. tactics and strategies and how they used them effectivley... moltke and napoleon

then after u talked about how generals infulenced the war, you would go to other factors such as mass conscritption and industrilisation.

oh sorry, ignore this i didnt read the question proply, i thought it was a to what extent did victories depend on generalship type question... sorry!!!

lesson learnt, read the qeustion atleast twice!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bantam99)
    miss.panesar...

if it asks about generalship, you would talk about good generals i.e. napoleion and bad medictore generals e.g. wellington, haig etc.

in this you say how generalship help i.e. tactics and strategies and how they used them effectivley... moltke and napoleon

then after u talked about how generals infulenced the war, you would go to other factors such as mass conscritption and industrilisation.

oh sorry, ignore this i didnt read the question proply, i thought it was a to what extent did victories depend on generalship type question... sorry!!!

lesson learnt, read the qeustion atleast twice!!
    dont worry.. i think i get what you were trying to explain.. thanks :cool:

im dead nervous about this exam.. i have a bad feeling about it

ReputationRep:
    i have a bad feeling too, i've had it the whole year. and it doesn't help that you have to answer two questions, i just hope i have enough knowledge to answer the question at least a little. if i get a question and have no idea what to even write i'll cry!!

ReputationRep:
    my teacher didnt even tell us we have to answer 2 questions.. i found out yesterday when i checked the past papers : |

throughout the whole year he's kept saying how this is the easiest history paper and you can just wing it through.. blah blah blah.... felt like i was the only person in the class who just didn't get it.

oh well - just gotta revise hard and try my best - whatever happens, happens. all of that said.. im with u mate.. i'll probably burst into tears.. then rip my paper up and storm out lol

ReputationRep:
    lol, i know I felt so stupid the whole year as if everyone got it but me. It just doesn't function into my head, I am at a loss as to what i should be revising. I hope all goes well but i'm afraid it might not

ReputationRep:
    i just hope the exam goes ok and i get a C! if only the right questions come up!! ive been dead worried about this exam since the start of the year, hated the topic not the most interesting... why couldnt we do ancient history, egypt or somet??

and i think im with u lot.. will cry if i cannot anwser the questions!

ReputationRep:
    It's the stupidest topic ever!! I mean I know history isn't the most interesting subject but there were so many more interesting topics they could have done, this was the worst thing possible!!

ReputationRep:
    its good to know that i was not the only one who thought this topic was interesting. I HATE OCR! not everyone likes bloody warfare like the snobs at oxford... i mean, c'mon history is more important than just war, from yr 9 we have done ww1 ww2 hitler, the nazis, ameerican jazz age which was not soo bad tbh, kind of like america and al capone etc... then 6th form we did, ww1, the nazis and british politics, which was not too bad but was dead boring... year 12 russia, the best topic, then warfare, which ends my love affair with history!!

ReputationRep:
    we got to do crusades in year 12, best topic ever...i wish they had done that again this year, like a different crusade or something, i would have much preferred that to this bloody warfare!!!

how are you guys revising? i really don't know what to do...mind maps? highlight notes? i don't know how to make this stay in my brain!!

ReputationRep:
    erm i dunno about you but i think that revising notes i mean class notes might not be the best idea at the moment

one good thing might be to do is get some past essay anwsers, read em and make key notes from em, that is what i have done but i cannot really find any!! argh its soo annoying, did anyone do re??? that was gret we got A grade anwsers, wish our teacher did that as it would allow us to revise em as there is only a finite number of topics to do and to revise them in anwsers is a good way

i have also used some small cue cards to put notes on and im reading em whilst watching to football...

all i can see mate is best of luck to you all and i really hope you do well!! its a shame, i got 2 exams 2morw aswell.

ReputationRep:
    is it possible to do ''too much revision'' i have all these dates and names just floating around in my head.. it feels like an overload.. dunno how im gonna remember all this for tomorrow... arghhhhhhhh i hate thisssss

Roosevelt's America was better than this.. i cant seem to remember any dates and just keep gettin confused

ReputationRep:
    dont worry, i feel the same, lol... just all conused, cannot remember much.. ah well, im not really gonna revise and go over much now, maybe over an essay and my notes on my cards

good luck guys, inshallah we all do well

ill come on 2morw, crying!

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone...im doing this topic this year....my exam is in the morning and im so nervous i cant sleep....im also struggling with this topic and dont no why my teacher picked it. i really dont think im going to pass. did all of you do well in the end?

ReputationRep:
    arghh i hated this paper too! i really really hate warfare and i was in the same position to you last night but it's over now!!

the exam went better than i thought it would although my argument for my 2nd essay was a bit weak and i rambled a little but i managed to cover the entire period albeit briefly in some instances :|

how did you find it in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daffff)
    arghh i hated this paper too! i really really hate warfare and i was in the same position to you last night but it's over now!!

the exam went better than i thought it would although my argument for my 2nd essay was a bit weak and i rambled a little but i managed to cover the entire period albeit briefly in some instances :|

how did you find it in the end?
    i did 16 and 18 i found 16 ok and better than i thought it would be, 17 i didnt have a clue so didnt pick it and i found 18 was ok i rushed it tho as was running out of time and made an error calling the french prussians in crimean but never mind. i think i rambeled to, both 17 and 18 seamed quite difficult and i was unsure what to argue it against. i hope i passed tho. i did chamberlain and appeasement for my other it was alot easier subject but the exam was confusing and i think i did alot worse there

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.