Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    My 5th year induction was sitting in the assembly hall at round tables and we got a 3 hour lecture on how to revise. Then the next half of the day we went outside to do an army assult course and then had a BBQ.

My 6th year induction was a two day one. The first day was at a hotel where we had a 5 hour lecture on how to revise and had a crappy buffet - was the most boring day of my life lol. Day 2 we were back at school and we had to mingle with the fifth years in the assembly hall and play with play-doh... then we got our timetables.
    ^ oh god.

ReputationRep:
    God it's still another couple of days before i start XD

Fifth year induction - some "team building" activites. 6th year, straight into it apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekahchu)
    What school are you at?
    Ahem... Newbattle HS :p:
    You?

ReputationRep:
    We got our 6th year induction on Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    Ahem... Newbattle HS :p:
    You?
    I was at Boroughmuir, left at the end of fourth year and spent 2 years at college doing Highers and Advanced Highers :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    Yeah, but do you study in a Scottish school?
    um yes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reappears)
    um yes..
    I think she only asked because your location says Uk, you might not have been Scottish etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekahchu)
    I think she only asked because your location says Uk, you might not have been Scottish etc etc etc
    Once again, I agree with what this woman says.

ReputationRep:
    bekahchu please reply.
    what college were you at?
    was the teaching decent?
    could somebody do 5 highers in 1 year at a college?
    can you self teach a subject and sit an exam in it at the college?
    how were class sizes?
    have you made any friends of your own age at the college, or were most people there pretty old?
    would you encourage others to do the same as you?
    did you have to pay for college?
    a reply to ANY of these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohellohellohello)
    bekahchu please reply.
    what college were you at? I have been at both Telford and Stevenson College
    was the teaching decent? The teaching was A LOT better at Stevenson. Only 1 of my teachers at Telford was any good.
    could somebody do 5 highers in 1 year at a college? I did 6 in one year at Telford. You can do as many as you can fit on your timetable.
    can you self teach a subject and sit an exam in it at the college? There are options for "open-learning", you learn at home and go into college for assessments. Not every subject offers this though.
    how were class sizes? Depends on the course. Mine ranged from about 5 to 25.
    have you made any friends of your own age at the college, or were most people there pretty old? Ages ranged from 15 to 40s. But mostly people are aged 16-23 or so.
    would you encourage others to do the same as you? Yes. I think it's a good intro. for going to uni.
    did you have to pay for college? No, if you're a full-time student and have been resident in Scotland longer than 3 years then the Government pays for you.
    a reply to ANY of these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    Anything else just ask.

ReputationRep:
    After my exams in 5th year there was all this stuff that was planned for us in school in the week or so before the holidays.. It was more or less expected of us not to show up.

ReputationRep:
    oh my good god, induction day today was quite terrible. apart from young enterprise news, which looks very interesting. but the stupid 'motivational' talk and the ever-obligatory 'action plan' remained...

ReputationRep:
    I started today and my god I love it! I have the most free periods out of everyone, because we have to take 4 subjects (if you do 3 Ah they make you do this IT thing) but since i'm doing 2 self studying i have 3 free's a day And everything seems so interesting

ReputationRep:
    bekahchu: thanks for the help, i was just wondering about what you mean by "full time study" at the college, or whatever you said you needed to get the college free. the college i'm looking at quotes lesson times as things like "thursday 6pm-9pm, every week". if i went there every week, is that full time study, or is full time study a case of going in every day for a 9am-3pm type thing.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohellohellohello)
    bekahchu: thanks for the help, i was just wondering about what you mean by "full time study" at the college, or whatever you said you needed to get the college free. the college i'm looking at quotes lesson times as things like "thursday 6pm-9pm, every week". if i went there every week, is that full time study, or is full time study a case of going in every day for a 9am-3pm type thing.
    thanks
    Full time study is usually 3 or more Highers plus 1 or 2 hours tutorial time each week. It usually adds up to about 18 hours total spent in college. Open learning courses DO NOT count towards being a full-time student unless they class with another subject you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    i tried to contact the college with outlook express but it didn't work. how did you do it bekahchu?

ReputationRep:
    bekahchu, what was it that appealed to you about going to college when you were in 4th year? did you get what you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    Filled in an application form online.
    I hated school.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.