Turn on thread page Beta

Unifying concepts (OCR Physics) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflyingpig)
    I didn't think the mark scheme answer was common sense at all when you consider that most paving slabs (around where I live anyway) are all completely different sizes or non-existent and just tar similar to the road surface. Face it the synoptic paper consists of a lot of questions that are pathetic like the one involving an equation relating inside and outside temperature, then you had to come up with a similar equation about resistance, and then using these just guess an equation involving gas pressure.
    Don't remember the one youre describing at all. But I've slept quite a bit since A-level really.

Point taken about the paving slab one, but it's not completely absurd to assume that if theres paving slabs, then they'll be pretty much the same size. But obviously its not really about paving slabs its about knowing the best way to make measurements in physics. Besides I wouldn't worry that much about the synoptic, it gets put in with your coursework/practical exam mark which should've been easy marks. Was my best module in the end.

(Original post by theflyingpig)
    I didn't think the mark scheme answer was common sense at all when you consider that most paving slabs (around where I live anyway) are all completely different sizes
    Measure a few then average.

ReputationRep:
    Im off now ... good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    urghhhhhh
    didnt go that well
    cud have gone worse
    those temperature/pressure graphs got me
    and inducing emf
    urghhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Overall I was fairly happy, I thought the first question was one of the hardest. Anyone else get h=5m in the Ep question involving tides? I didn't like how the last question asked to make it 'suitable for the general non-scientist reader' it meant I wasn't sure how much detail I should give.

ReputationRep:
    I used h as 5 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that went better than FFE. Couldn't have asked for a better question at the end but I'm not too sure about the rest of the paper. Fingers crossed for the options modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introspectre)
    Hmm, that went better than FFE. Couldn't have asked for a better question at the end but I'm not too sure about the rest of the paper. Fingers crossed for the options modules.
    I was the other way round, found most of the start of the paper ok (tho there was a LOT of graphs!) but the last question was bad. I knew what I wanted to write, but wasn't sure how to put it into words... The 1 with the tidal energy was quite weird too...
    What optional module you doing anyway? Im doing Cosmology! Woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttercup_26)
    I was the other way round, found most of the start of the paper ok (tho there was a LOT of graphs!) but the last question was bad. I knew what I wanted to write, but wasn't sure how to put it into words... The 1 with the tidal energy was quite weird too...
    What optional module you doing anyway? Im doing Cosmology! Woo!
    I love wordy questions I do have a mad hatred of graphs though...
    Nuclear and Particle Physics, ooooh yeah!

ReputationRep:
    General verdict here was that it was a fair bit easier than some recent papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    General verdict here was that it was a fair bit easier than some recent papers.
    I agree. Still seemed a bit odd though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2008

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.