Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Wendy*)
    What other subjects do you do?
    Further maths, physics and computing. Computing isn't too bad because I had previous programming experience, and the rest isn't conceptually challenging, there's just a lot to remember. There's parts of AS physics I don't properly understand, especially topics linked with electricity.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm awful at "it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    No, I'm awful at "it".
    AS or A2?

ReputationRep:
    AS or A2?
    Sorry, just read the thread properly, I don't do it, but at GCSE it was my worst subject.

ReputationRep:
    i'm well bad at maths, it's nonsense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm at GCSE and find it mostly very easy, though I'm doing further maths next year and I once saw a past paper for it and almost freaked out :p: I have some really bad feeling I'm not going to understand Further Maths at all, but I guess it isn't as bad once you learn the concepts.

ReputationRep:
    A mon avi, you can't really try and stuff your brain and remember everything via force-feeding at A-levels (well, can you?)

You need to have little clicks here and there. It makes work so much easier, but with maths - you need to practice just so you can do it fast in the exam because you don't use it everyday. I mean, you can always re-invent integration every time you do it, but it'd take a while.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I find stats 100x easier than mechanics

ReputationRep:
    There are some part of maths I don't really like, such as stats, and sequences and binomials, etc. Most people find these pretty easy, but I just don't get this kind of stuff first time round, perhaps because its much more difficult to see how the formulae have been derived and that we're just expected to learn it, which of course makes it much more boring as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i really enjoyed doing maths. I am doing further math a2 at the moment, finish as math in my first year, wasn't too bad if you are the sort of self motivated person and hard working to practise. After all, math is a subject of the more you practise, the better you get the idea, the better you will be able to apply in whatever sort of questions that might come up.

Stats is dead horrible to me though, am doing m4, have done m1,m2,m3, really enjoyed it so much more than stats, but again, it is a personal opinion.

(Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Well I'm at GCSE and find it mostly very easy, though I'm doing further maths next year and I once saw a past paper for it and almost freaked out :p: I have some really bad feeling I'm not going to understand Further Maths at all, but I guess it isn't as bad once you learn the concepts.
    I wouldn't worry. It's perfectly normal for everything on the FM syllabus to look alien to you if you haven't even started AS maths.

ReputationRep:
    There are bits of maths I don't understand - such as why the chain rule works (I don't think that 'look, it cancels' is a proper explanation after being told time after time that dy/dx isn't a fraction... :rolleyes:) - and sometimes it takes me a while to do things using a methods I understand while it could take a few seconds using a method I haven't grasped.

But usually maths does just 'click' (at this level, anyway). The same goes for Physics, I think - but there's a whole lot more A-level Physics concepts that I don't understand than there are Maths (moving charges in a magnetic field feel a force? Why? How?).

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean before exams or literally like everyday after lessons to try understand the info?
    both nothing works me and maths don't go
    if it were a person i'd do worse things than kill it

ReputationRep:
    In school I found mechanics easier than stats. At uni I found stats/prob easier than dynamics, fluids etc. Weird.

I agree with general. A level is an utter joke compared to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Click? A little bit. Chemistry 'clicked' for me, in fact, i dont know why i'm not studying that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turgon)
    There are some part of maths I don't really like, such as stats, and sequences and binomials, etc. Most people find these pretty easy, but I just don't get this kind of stuff first time round, perhaps because its much more difficult to see how the formulae have been derived and that we're just expected to learn it, which of course makes it much more boring as well.
    You don't need to know the formulae for sequences and binomials. Don't worry it will click though. Something like binomial, just go through like all of excercise A in the book then you'll be really used to doing it and should find it easier

ReputationRep:
    I used to find maths sooo easy right up until the end of SG (GCSE equivalent), and then by the time I got to Higher I HATED it, and just could not face putting the effort in to make it make any sense to me in the slightest..
    But then I suppose up until then everyone would say maths was rather easy anyways

ReputationRep:
    im just starting as maths, and for the applied module, our teacher has put everyone in for S1, because he says it is the easiest one to do to start with in his opinion.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, I'm doing A2 Further Maths and after a few past papers for a module it does kind of 'just click'.
    I've done Statistics, Mechanics and Decision and eventually I liked all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think Maths is one of those subjects that with persistence will 'click' for everyone. I find it clicks pretty quick, and so have never considered it too much of a difficulty. I just like that you can come out of an exam and pretty much know how well you've done straight away.

I've done Stats, Mechanics and Decision, and I've found Mechanics to be the most enjoyable and Decision to be the easiest. Take from that what you will.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.