Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why buy a prom dress anyway? Why not rent one instead? I mean, you could get a much better dress for the same price or even cheaper! And anways, you're only gonna wear it once. It sounds economical to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightxburns)
    £250? Where did you get it from?
    Its from flannels, its dolce and gabanna so thats why it was a bit more expensive i think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    Why buy a prom dress anyway? Why not rent one instead? I mean, you could get a much better dress for the same price or even cheaper! And anways, you're only gonna wear it once. It sounds economical to me...
    I'm planning on buying a dress that I can wear more than once.
    The idea of renting a dress really does not appeal to me. At all.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £300 for the dress, £225 for the shoes, approx £100 for the bag, and then about £100 on jewellery.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on buying a dress that I can wear more than once.
    The idea of renting a dress really does not appeal to me. At all.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Someone at my mate's prom spent £500 on a dress, let alone the rest. What an absurd amount of money. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.jen.x.)
    I paid £300 for the dress, £225 for the shoes, approx £100 for the bag, and then about £100 on jewellery.
    Impressive! Where were the dress & shoes from? Were they worth the money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    Why?
    I don't want to wear something that has been worn by various other randomers.

ReputationRep:
    My dress for my year 11 prom was £300, the shoes cost more than that though. They were Jimmy choo bridal shoes and beeeautiful. Although I haven't worn them since.

My friend is having a massive black tie party for her 18th though and the dress I have my eye on is £400.

ReputationRep:
    On an English dress, not more than £100, and that's only if it's absolutely one of a kind and incredible and any other suitable hyperboles.

On Indian clothes (saris and langas) I've got ones that are in the region of £200-300. However, I can wear these a few times and pass them on to my kids (one day, right now my mother and I share) cos Saris have no sizing and the langas I can get altered if need be and they have extremely delicate heavy work on them and are better than any ball dresses etc that I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £160 for mine. And it was a big mistake - I looked like a fat tart.

Now I've got that hard earned wisdom, the most I'd ever spend is about £75. I actually got this dress for £20 which I'm going to chop down, dye and re-style (a la Pretty In Pink).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
    On an English dress, not more than £100, and that's only if it's absolutely one of a kind and incredible and any other suitable hyperboles.

On Indian clothes (saris and langas) I've got ones that are in the region of £200-300. However, I can wear these a few times and pass them on to my kids (one day, right now my mother and I share) cos Saris have no sizing and the langas I can get altered if need be and they have extremely delicate heavy work on them and are better than any ball dresses etc that I've ever seen.
    I agree about the lehengas far surpassing any normal dress (if thats what you mean by 'langas') but there's no way I could turn up at my Leavers Ball in one, unfortunately! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Impressive! Where were the dress & shoes from? Were they worth the money?

The dress was from Emma Somerset in Chester and the shoes were from a shop called Purdies but the make of them is "Rodo", an Italian shoe designers.

Looking back, it wasn't worth it at the time cos i was really fat and despise the photos from the leaver's ball night they were orginally for. So that was disappointing. BUT since then i've had the dress taken in 3 sizes and it looks fabulous. The dress is really unique and i feel great in it, and the shoes are divine :p: So yeah, i guess currently i feel it was worth it, cos i've had a few occasions to wear them for, and now i've lost weight i really love the dress
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    my y11 prom dress cost £60 in the sale. it's a gorgoeus karen millen LBD and was originally £120.

my prom for y13 this year cost me £15 from ASOS. haha. i love it. it's gorge and can wear it to more stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the lehengas far surpassing any normal dress (if thats what you mean by 'langas') but there's no way I could turn up at my Leavers Ball in one, unfortunately! :p:
    Yeah don't pay attention to m y spelling, it's phonetic to how my mam says it :p: Why on earth not, that would be the ultimate thing. I got mine actually for a leaver's ball that I never attended. I've had it 3 years... but I'm going to wear it to a wedding this summer! Finally.

ReputationRep:
    My year 11 one is £18 in the sale, £36 (or something like that) full price

ReputationRep:
    I heard a girl at a school near me spent £3000 on a dress....anything below that ridiculous amount would be good...i reckon about £100 would be enough...it's the girl that counts after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
    Yeah don't pay attention to m y spelling, it's phonetic to how my mam says it :p: Why on earth not, that would be the ultimate thing. I got mine actually for a leaver's ball that I never attended. I've had it 3 years... but I'm going to wear it to a wedding this summer! Finally.
    I would, but I would be the ONLY ONE there in anything remotely ethnic. I would stick out like a sore thumb. Plus, I haven't quite got the washboard stomach required, so I'd feel waaay too self-conscious until I was suitably drunk... at which point I'd start tripping on the skirt and make a fool of myself.

ReputationRep:
    Year 11 leavers I spent £35 on a monsoon dress in the Monsoon Jan sale. I planned ahead and saved a ton.

Year 13 leavers was a nicer dress but sadly not in a sale. Was closer to £120 but I wore it to a wedding in the same week and it will work really well for expected uni dos in the future

ReputationRep:
    I guess a nice, flattering smart dress is an investment (sort of, not really at all...) because you're certain to need one every now and again.

Just don't waste your money on those hideous meringues, I've yet to see anyone but a bride look good in them...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.