Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    you need to get an oyster card

the cash prices are more expensive to make peopel get the oyster card

you can get one at a desk with £3 deposit which you get back with all the credit when you leave london.

dont top up with cash and cards tho otherwise you will have to register the card and have the money posted back - which is what happened to me so i just kept the oyster card.
    so with an oyster card you put credit on when you get in london, and take it off when you go out? they seem well confusing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    so with an oyster card you put credit on when you get in london, and take it off when you go out? they seem well confusing..
    yes, just goto a desk in a tube station and get one

you pay £3 to get the card and u then laod it up with cash (say 20quid) - if you do £10 worth of travellign you will get the remaining 10 back at the end with your £3 deposit

the oyster card works out cheaper than using cash only and it is emant to work out the best value overall - just make sure you use it properly (i.e tap in and out after every journey)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    Fascinating. I can't wait for your memoirs.
    The best bit was when they bumped into their uncle who had a car. Didn't see that one coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    The best bit was when they bumped into their uncle who had a car. Didn't see that one coming.
    That was excellent, but the way he selflessly played the knight in shining armour, saving the crying girl who was nearly condemned by the callous bus driver to having to walk home, and paid her fare - simply breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryMoo)
    Most of the bus drivers where I live just let all the school kids on for free without asking for their oyster cards. :rolleyes:
    Sameee but apparently theres some new rule when they really cant let them on
    its okay if they are in a big school group but when they are on their own the bus drivers get mean!

ReputationRep:
    It's free travel for under 18s with a Oyster card, but a lot of drivers don't bother check. It pisses me off, because the year I turned 16, free U16 travel came in, and the same with U18 travel.
    It's cheaper with the Oyster card, but I don't agree with the way it tracks people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahoy_there_matey)
    the prices are ridiculous!!

£2 for an adult to get on the bus!!it used to be 70p!!! wth?!?

and child fares dont even EXIST! you need an oyster if you're over 11, or you pay adult!

is anyone else annoyed by this or am i the only one..?

Where the hell have you been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicolish)
    But if you dont have your oyster you have to pay like £2
    even if you are 11 and in school uniform
    thats mean
    I'm 17 and i still get on for free w/o oyster
    I doubt 11 year olds pay anything unless they get a £2 travel card

London transport is prettttty cheap comparing it to other places in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the oyster card, swipe that ***** in and you're sorted.

ReputationRep:
    The Underground is so expensive - £8 Return Ticket !

(Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Norfolk public transport sucks all round... I used to live only a 20mins drive away from Norwich, and there was ONE bus in the morning and ONE coming back in the evening.. and they only went as far as Wymondham so id have to get ANOTHER one to get to Norwich.. rediculous.

Nottingham transport is good. a bit on the expensive side, but relatively reliable..
    Don't even get me started. I hate First Bus thiiiiiiiiis much.

*extends arms*

ReputationRep:
    In Manchester it's 50p for U16s, and £5 for a week rider, £1.20 for a day rider! And it used to be 40p, £5, £1 respectively, so I was quite shocked when I went to London for the first time! But saying that, I lived in Newcastle for a couple of years so I went from 40p singles - to anywhere you want, across the whole of Manchester - to £1.20 minimum single, which increases in price depending on how far you're going. The first time I got the bus in Newcastle I was like "hoooow much??!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    That was excellent, but the way he selflessly played the knight in shining armour, saving the crying girl who was nearly condemned by the callous bus driver to having to walk home, and paid her fare - simply breathtaking.
    tbh i probably shouldnt have paid i think she would have in the end, just didnt understd english very well but it pissed me off so i wrote about it. sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    In Manchester it's 50p for U16s, and £5 for a week rider, £1.20 for a day rider! And it used to be 40p, £5, £1 respectively, so I was quite shocked when I went to London for the first time! But saying that, I lived in Newcastle for a couple of years so I went from 40p singles - to anywhere you want, across the whole of Manchester - to £1.20 minimum single, which increases in price depending on how far you're going. The first time I got the bus in Newcastle I was like "hoooow much??!"
    Where have you been?! It's 70p concessionary, £10 for a megarider (weekly) and £3.30 for a dayrider... IMO London is cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    The Underground is so expensive - £8 Return Ticket !
    Anll zone travelcard (day) is much cheaper. I think they work out at £4.60 or something.

ReputationRep:
    I get free buses and cheap Tube

But seriously, London transport is a thousand times better than rural public transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberrybubbles)
    Where have you been?! It's 70p concessionary, £10 for a megarider (weekly) and £3.30 for a dayrider... IMO London is cheap!
    I said for a child, I moved when I was like 16/17. 70p is for a student, but child goes up to 16, and at 17 I still usually got away with it cos I don't look that old and they're pretty relaxed about it. I know that a child megarider was £5 and adult was £7 or £8 (so must have gone up), but as I said I was a child when I lived there, and in Mancheser "child" extends further than in most other places (that I have been to anyway).

£3.30 for a dayrider is wierd How long has it been like that for? I take it that's just for adults too, but it was certainly £1 a couple of years ago, cos when a single went up by 50p it still made sense to get a day pass unless you were only doing one journey.

Whatever the prices now though, the cheap one-way tickets are great as in most places you pay by how far you want to travel, yet in Manchester you can get from Stockport right into Manchester for 70p for a student, 50p for a child...even at 70p that's bloody cheap, considering where I live now it costs me £1.30 for a single to work (about 10min bus journey) and £1.90 return. To college (which is about the same distance as Stockport to Manchester), it is £4.60; a day rider is £5.10; a mega rider just within the area I live (bearing in mind that there are three places, and the greatest distance from one end to the other is about 20mins, usually quicker) it costs just under £10; and for a gold rider, which extends to the city, it is £17 a week.

So I definitely think Manchester is really cheap for travel.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Uh what's the big deal about getting an Oyster Card?

If you choose to spend more money by buying paper tickets, why would you complain about the prices?

ReputationRep:
    Ok i thought London Transport was priced crazy, i went to visit my mate at uni in Bristol i have never been in the country by myself you know like on public transport i always went manchester, liverpool, cheshire and warrington by car. I was gobsmacked it is soooo expensive to travel around in Bristol you might as well order a cab is sooo overpriced and horrible, i couldnt wait to get back to London

ReputationRep:
    Try paying £22 for a weekly rider thingy.

London is cheap so be pleased.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.