Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helie12)
    thanks that's really useful!! do we need to quote other historians in our answers? our teacher never mentioned anything about it...
    Well, part of the specification does say that an understanding of the controversies of the issues and why historians opinions differ are needed, so it might be useful to have brief ideas. Kershaw is really important, so i've just stuck with learning about his side of it all! x

This is in the morning yes?

ReputationRep:
    We don't do Coursework, so I still need to do really well! Which is a tragedy as I can't do this unit at all! We do the USSR After Lenin and my notes are all so confusing!

This is in the morning yes?
    Yes, it's in the morning

ReputationRep:
    looks like for the soviet union question it is unlikely to be the a) stalin rise to power and b) personal dictatorhip since they came up last year

i have 6 past papers but no idea what year they were apart from 07, anyone know which was in 06 or even 05 ? So that i can sort of predict what might come up

ReputationRep:
    We didn't do coursework either and are studying the Nazi state, any ideas for that?

I'm more worried about Britian as a democracy....

ReputationRep:
    For The Soviet Union After Lenin

June 06: a) Propaganda reinforcing the Cult of Personality... b) Did Stalin destroy Lenin's legacy once he had achieved supreme power

June 05: a) Impact of Stalin's FYPs on the citizens of the USSR... b) Was the Stalinist state full of "contradictions and inefficiencies"

June 04: a) Issues of the Power Struggle... b) Did Stalin force his policies on a largely unwilling population by terror and fear?

June 03: a) Why did the Cult of Personality grow so much 29-41?... b) Did Stalin's modernisation programmes improve people's lives?

June 02: a) Why did Stalin emerge as Lenin's successor? ... b) Were the purges the result of Stalin's insecurities and continuing divisions within the party?

OMG....

I am so bricking it about this exam. I really am.

dear lord, so am i.

thanks for posting those exam questions, what came up in 07?

ReputationRep:
    2007 was 'why did stalin emerge as Lenins successor' and 'how far do you agree that stalin built a soviet state that was obedient to his personal dictatorship?' HARD.

Does anyone know if there are particular historians views we should be aware of? Any communists or capitalists with really strong opinions?? We haven't really looked at historians, but I know its really important
    Any help greatly appreciated!

hx

ReputationRep:
    Am feeling equally worried about this exam. Doesn't help that i think my Mussolini exam didn't go too good either. I'm worried about time, despite getting high As in mocks, i always run over 1hr 45 mins for both qs.
    Hoping that the questions are worded well, last year for AS, they used a complicated word and no one knew what it meant, they just guessed. Still go a high A though, but still, not the point.
    Also a bit apprehensive of Britain redistribution of seats and extension of franchise :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahMC)
    2007 was 'why did stalin emerge as Lenins successor' and 'how far do you agree that stalin built a soviet state that was obedient to his personal dictatorship?' HARD.

Does anyone know if there are particular historians views we should be aware of? Any communists or capitalists with really strong opinions?? We haven't really looked at historians, but I know its really important
    Any help greatly appreciated!

hx
    I don't think we do, i think we just need to have knowledge of party members of the time, especially during the power struggle. e.g Bukharin favoured NEP whereas Trotsky wanted rapid industrilisation. Also Riutin obviously.
    No historians though, you could just slot into your questions that revisionist and traditional historians debate over x as to whether...
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Pleaaaase be on economic policy, i have gambled on it being EP, or soical stuff, then maybe purges and i dont think PS is going to come up. ( awaits the shock and horror of finding a 40 mark power struggle q :|)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Chris)
    For The Soviet Union After Lenin

June 06: a) Propaganda reinforcing the Cult of Personality... b) Did Stalin destroy Lenin's legacy once he had achieved supreme power

June 05: a) Impact of Stalin's FYPs on the citizens of the USSR... b) Was the Stalinist state full of "contradictions and inefficiencies"

June 04: a) Issues of the Power Struggle... b) Did Stalin force his policies on a largely unwilling population by terror and fear?

June 03: a) Why did the Cult of Personality grow so much 29-41?... b) Did Stalin's modernisation programmes improve people's lives?

June 02: a) Why did Stalin emerge as Lenin's successor? ... b) Were the purges the result of Stalin's insecurities and continuing divisions within the party?

OMG....

I am so bricking it about this exam. I really am.
    cheers buddy, really helpful, plus rep for you

and likewise to what the other guy said last years question was ridiculously hard - the personal dictatorship one :eek: i tried it myself and i did bad

i just did a practice one the lenin legacy - i think im ok for time as long as i'm focused and read hte sources and highlight/plan properly - otherwise i'm a mess

Have people been told how much we should be looking to write (as a very rough guide) for each question?

ReputationRep:
    Echoing the above post.

I usually write 3 pages for q1 and then 5/ 6 for q2. Most of my past essays have been types and they range from 3 pages in size 12 for q1, which would obviously be more than 3 pages handwritten.

ReputationRep:
    hi i'm new!
    we were told that the length of each answer should be proportional to the marks given i.e. a should be half the length of b.
    i reckon it will be on 5YPs and possibly cult or lenin. really hoping its not lenin! xxx

ReputationRep:
    i read an examiners report that said they dont like long essays that rattle on, they would rather read a concise, to the point essay with detail but not so much that its just stretched out and repetitive, plus there is only so much you can write from the sources. This paper is after all SOURCE DRIVEN not about your own knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetters)
    i read an examiners report that said they dont like long essays that rattle on, they would rather read a concise, to the point essay with detail but not so much that its just stretched out and repetitive, plus there is only so much you can write from the sources. This paper is after all SOURCE DRIVEN not about your own knowledge.
    That's good because I dont have any own knowledge!! seriously, i had an english exam 2day that i was stressing about so have only done a tiny percentage! i'll just have to hope i can blag the own knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetters)
    It's not though, unless i'm doing a different paper for you. You can only get a C if you don't use specific own kwowledge and then you are really good with the sources, and you can only get a C if you only use specific own knowledge. It's 50% how you have used the sources and 50% your specific own knowledge which is relevant to the questions and adds weight/challenges the sources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpearson)
    It's not though, unless i'm doing a different paper for you. You can only get a C if you don't use specific own kwowledge and then you are really good with the sources, and you can only get a C if you only use specific own knowledge. It's 50% how you have used the sources and 50% your specific own knowledge which is relevant to the questions and adds weight/challenges the sources.

I do the Nazi unit and was told that Own Knowledge is 20 or 30% can't remember exactly.

It was higher percentage previously but it has been reduced the past few years apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    I do the Nazi unit and was told that Own Knowledge is 20 or 30% can't remember exactly.

It was higher percentage previously but it has been reduced the past few years apparently.
    I'm Stalin, well i'm not physically him but my exam is about him. I'm just gunna stick to what i usually did. Last year i pratically used 4 quotes from sources and all the rest was own knowledge and application and i came out with 116/120, but that was a sheer fluke, i can see tomorrow being a nightmare
    Good Luck anyway

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.