The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hermaphrodite
but they can't view your profile if you have set it to private?

No, they shouldn't do.
Reply 21
I met someone who actually worked for MySpace, and he had a neat business card that was basically a screenshot of his MySpace page. He had stuff on like "Interests: Going out on the piss", so make of that what you will!

As long as you're not some Satanist or child groomer you'd be grand. Sure aren't all the high flying city-boys fairly well known for going out on the lash?!

Hopefully I'm not too easily found on social networking sites... I've affiliations with eh... frowned upon organisations >_>
Reply 22
the thing is that, if they write my name, i come up first in the google search result, and they can see that im a user on one big forum , and read all my post. Most of them are good, but there are some weird posts, about relationships etc. as well as some lies, that are not true. Though this is in swedish.....
Firstly, yes, they may very well google you. It depends entirely on the company and nobody except the HR department of that company would be able to tell you accurately. Secondly, even if they do, i'd say the chances of them going to the bother of getting your posts on a forum translated is nil, unless by some massive coincidence anybody involved in the process speaks Swedish. Lastly, if you are that worried, delete your account/posts.
Reply 24
Norfolkadam
In an interview I had stuff from my MySpace page dragged up and asked about. It was quite uncomfortable, it didn't really compute with what was on my CV. I'd keep your MySpace clean and make sure you use a different email address on your CV to that you registered any social profile websites under.

Eugh, that's horrible, and surely against the rules of job interviews in some way. There are certain questions which are illegal to ask I know that much.. :s-smilie:

Having said that, you could have avoided all that mess if you were private on myspace and any other social networking sites, as someone has already pointed out :smile:
Matt_1991
Eugh, that's horrible, and surely against the rules of job interviews in some way. There are certain questions which are illegal to ask I know that much.. :s-smilie:

Having said that, you could have avoided all that mess if you were private on myspace and any other social networking sites, as someone has already pointed out :smile:

I learned my lesson, there is nothing on my social networking profiles I wouldn't tell my employer.
Reply 26
HR are unlikely to google you, they simply dont have time - however managers who interview might, as they want to get a well rounded perspective of you

use it to your advantage, have extra stuff online!
I know of employers who've googled/facebooked me or who google other applicants (from speaking to them once I've got the job). I've reduced my named activity online to zero, and anyone who makes their full facebook profile publicly accessible either has nothing to hide or deserves everything to be found.
Reply 28
Nothing comes up for me thankfully, apart from links to my bebo and then other random peoples names that aren't me. I've nothing to be ashamed of on my bebo profile and I keep my facebook profile set as private.
I sometimes see papers for applicants, and yeah, sometimes I look them up. (A colleague was once interviewing someone who, on the application form, filled in "Personal website" with "As if I'd tell you!" - absolutely begging to be Googled. Funnily enough, the results weren't something he wanted seen, and I don't think he got the job...)

Latest

Trending

Trending