Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =nuke=)
    I need to get back into drum'n'bass. I used to use breakbeat.co.uk but it's changed so much over the past few years.
    Yeah breakbeat.co.uk used to be really good for listening to new DnB releases, but they changed it all and I've kind of drifted away from it. However, they do have some pretty good podcasts which are definitely worth a look!

I love DnB, I like lots of different music but DnB just really gets me going, like no other music I've listened to does. I like the dark techstep kinda stuff such as Evol Intent (who are amazing), Noisia, Phace, Spor etc. In a club this kind of stuff is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)
    Anyone like Aphex Twin? What's their music classed as???

It's ****ed up but so good.

Girl-Boy Song - Aphex Twin

Such a great song, it's like they tell a love story of a boy and girl with their ups and downs in life & relationship...WITHOUT words! That's what it seems like to me anyway.
    Acid-house, electro, IDM and drill-and-bass; especially the latter two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)
    Anyone like Aphex Twin? What's their music classed as???

It's ****ed up but so good.

Girl-Boy Song - Aphex Twin

Such a great song, it's like they tell a love story of a boy and girl with their ups and downs in life & relationship...WITHOUT words! That's what it seems like to me anyway.
    Aphex Twin - HIS music (not their.. sorry! it's a natural reaction for afx fans to be defensive) would be classed as IDM or Drill-and-Bass, or ambient on his ambient albums but that goes without saying.

For me the most exciting DnB I've heard in a while is Spor, mind blowing stuff. I loved everything Hospital last year but the whole liquid thing isnt as good as the jump-up style for me. Saw friction djing after Pendulum at Brixton a couple of weeks ago, insane.

Anyone know what song it is that uses the "machete" samples? Or who it's by? Danke
    edit: nvm its dj hazard. sick song though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Acid-house, electro, IDM and drill-and-bass; especially the latter two.
    Ah, that's the one I was thinking, I love the type of music, nothing better for a night of insanity alone with my stash box...lol

I love DnB, don't have a very wide knowledge on it though, used to be into mixing a while back, had some Technics 1210's...ohhh yee! Grew love for breakbeat with some DnB though, I loved everything Stanton Warriors made, they turn average songs brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like chilled out drum 'n' bass, like Makoto and Roni Size...

For pure, intense energy, though, it's got to be psytrance every time. I can't help but go mental when I listen to psytrance.

ReputationRep:
    Im surprised the king of whine and bass, Mr TC hasn’t been mentioned! Where’s My Money!!!

The people that have said they like Pendulum need shooting, their older stuff, pre Hold Your Colour was damn good, however the latest stuff, especially In Silico is awful. While im aware many producers have a favoured BPM they work to, Pendulum have a generic bass and sub bass lines that is so typical of mainstream ‘churn ‘em out’ producers.

There have been some good shouts, High Contrast, Logistics, London Elek, Andy C, Roni Size, Hazard, Hype, Makoto etc. That’s proper drum & bass!

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe that no-one has mentioned Calibre yet. Just amazing. Drop It Down and Mr Highlander are amazing tunes.

I can't believe that these people have been missed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Bad Company
    Goldie
    4 Hero
    LTJ Bukem
    DJ Krust
    DJ Zinc
    Ram Trilogy
    Moving Fusion
    DJ Marky
    Q Project
    Rufige Kru
    Blame
    Nookie

ReputationRep:
    Ah yea that reminds me, I preferred the flip mr maverick oh yea and mr majestic with hc is such a good tune!

Another new (good) one, falling in love by Mistabushi

ReputationRep:
    Woooo dnb! I love it. Not so much jump up dnb....I prefer the more techy stuff (though I dont know much of it) I think its known as neurofunk these days... noisia, dom and roland, logistics etc and I've heard really good things about spor so should check him out. Hoping to get to a renegade hardware night at some point over summer...

But yeh like atomik its got to be psytrance for me. Good psytrance though and on a solid crystal clear soundsystem otherwise it seriously pains me and I'm bored in about 30 seconds. EVP ftw!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to find some good Drum N Bass thanks to this thread.

Hold Your Color by Pendulum is a brilliant tune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    Ah yea that reminds me, I preferred the flip mr maverick oh yea and mr majestic with hc is such a good tune!

Another new (good) one, falling in love by Mistabushi
    Mistabishi!!! 'She Lied' And 'No Matter What' better tunes than falling in love imo.

the new danny byrd album? Planet Music VIP is amazing

and yes Calibre, TV On is a great new tune

ReputationRep:
    I'll check out the danny byrd album cheers. Sometimes I find his stuff over happy though if you know what I mean. The Mistabishi tunes are good..

Check out Noizedraft's after esp believe in my love. I don't know where he came from

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned Roni Size yet, so RONI SIZE!!!!!!

Is anyone here into Jungle? Actual proper Jungle, not just D&B?

ReputationRep:
    If you check the one extra site theres this video feature thing with kenny ken and crissy criss (jungle). They play some TUNES that I would love to get hold of but I haven't got a clue what they're called! The old dreamscape stuff is the best, that's how I got into DnB. Love those broken, rolling beats working with the bass (and some sweet vocals preferably). They don't make it like that anymore as they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyIsBullish)
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned Roni Size yet, so RONI SIZE!!!!!!

Is anyone here into Jungle? Actual proper Jungle, not just D&B?
    'New Forms' was the first DnB I heard, Brown Paper Bag in particular. Epic song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    If you check the one extra site theres this video feature thing with kenny ken and crissy criss (jungle). They play some TUNES that I would love to get hold of but I haven't got a clue what they're called!
    1st tune = Alex Reece-Pulp Fiction
    2nd tune = can't tell
    3rd tune = Rebel MC - ???
    4th tune = ??? - ???
    5th tune = no idea but certainly not jungle
    6th tune = dred bass? - ???
    7th tune = too quick to catch
    8th tune = ltj bukem -return to atlantis

Kenny talks about DJ Krust - Set Speed, Shy FX & UK Apache -Original Nuttah , General Levy - Incredible.

Definitely check all those out.

Check out loads of stuff by DJ Krust, DJ Die, Alex Reece, Mickey Finn & Aphrodite (especially Bad Ass), Dred Bass, The Dream Team, Dillinja, Capone, 4 Hero, Acen, LTJ Bukem, Photek, PFM, Deep Blue, Omni Trio, 2 Bad Mice, Ray Keith, Hyper On Experience, DJ Phantasy, J Majik, Nasty Habits, Doc Scott, Nookie, Q Project, Remarc, Shy FX, Rudebwoy Monty, Andy C, Randall, Tom & Jerry & Rebel MC

ReputationRep:
    ah man the 4th is the one I wanted to know most lol. The 5th aint jungle but its a tune still.
    return to atlantis is ****ing awesome..what he says about it just going off, i could picture that place when that came in

ReputationRep:
    high contrast, roni size, pendulum are gooood

not really that into D&B

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Jungle back when i was 10.

My uncle was a hardcore Jungle raver back in the days. My bedroom walls were plastered with event flyers. I always had the latest Jungle tapes.

I can remember this one tune, was a classic. Had a women in it and was a remix from an old tune. It was out around the same time as "Bad boys in a Jungle, Rude boys in a ...".

I doubt anyone will know the name but throw me a few YouTube links to some Jungle tunes of that era.

I am going through all my old skool just to find it. When i find it, I will post a YouTube link because I know everyone on here has herd of it, and will know it as a classic, and at one time loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst searching for a few classic jungle sets i came across this:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27648

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread...hreadid=365149

Theres an old skool jungle set to download. If I come across anything else free I will share.

ADD: Some wicked hair raising tunes on here.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.