Turn on thread page Beta

Voting at 16? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the voting age be reduced to 16?
    Yes
    38.78%
    No
    56.12%
    I don't care, I'm over 18.
    5.10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Anyway. I'm going to say no because it's only 2 years and even though I'm 16 I wouldn't trust half of my friends to vote and I would say I had intellegent friends let alone the majority of people my age.
    I'm not completely content with the fact that religious people, The Sun, Daily Mirror (and etc) reading people, racist people and etc, of maturity have the right to vote and influence those who get elected. However, I wouldn't dare deny them the right.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, voting laws should be kept as they are.

Actually last year, as part of a course, I researched young people's attitudes towards politics - and the result were as I guessed: the vast majority of 16/17 olds I spoke to were politically clueless. Obviously, there are exceptions but the bulk of the age group in Britain are generally politically unaware...

if anything it needs to rise to 21...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    Actually last year, as part of a course, I researched young people's attitudes towards politics - and the result were as I guessed: the vast majority of 16/17 olds I spoke to were politically clueless. Obviously, there are exceptions but the bulk of the age group in Britain are generally politically unaware...
    As I'm sure was the case for most African Americans in the 1950's. Does not mean that it's right to deny them the vote. Perhaps it's their exclusion from political life that enforces the ignorance? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    If someone at 16 doesn't want to vote they simply won't, same as 18 year olds today (and older).

Just don't force them to vote and it shouldn't be a problem. The 16 year old Voter Turnout would, hopefully, consist of people who have carefully reasoned out their reasons for voting for a specific candidate.

What can I do at 16? I can join the army, have sex, get married, have an abortion, I can even pilot a glider at 16 but I can't vote. I can die for my country, but have no say in how it's run?

I do know that a great many people wouldn't vote but with Voter Turnout as low as it is, it would still be those committed to voting who would vote. We shouldn't, for example, mix the two ideas of 16-Voting and Compulsory Voting without seriously changing our cultural ideas of the Right-Duty of Voting. But we need to change our apathetic attitude anyway.

(APologies for the rant, currently writing about 5,000 words on the subject, kinda worked up and need to blow of steam! :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    No.

Voting turnout among teenagers is low enough as it is - reducing the age to 16 really won't make a noticeable difference.

Secondly, why should you be able to vote at 16, but you can't smoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    if anything it needs to rise to 21...
    and how do you justify such a silly claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    As I'm sure was the case for most African Americans in the 1950's. Does not mean that it's right to deny them the vote. Perhaps it's their exclusion from political life that enforces the ignorance? Just a thought.
    :ditto:
    Good argument, forgot that one

(Original post by 2026)
    I'm not completely content with the fact that religious people, The Sun, Daily Mirror (and etc) reading people, racist people and etc, of maturity have the right to vote and influence those who get elected. However, I wouldn't dare deny them the right.
    You see after I posted this I had exactlly the same thought. I don't know, it's all a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    Perhaps because the right to vote is more important than the right to access to poisonous materials.

ReputationRep:
    I said yes because a lot of 16 year olds are mature enough to vote - and a lot of 18 year olds aren't. Age doesn't always mean maturity. Also, I think we should have a chance to choose the government, seeing as at 16, you can pay tax, (although not all do obviously) you should be able to vote.

My ideal solution to this would be to lower the voting age but at the same time introduce more proper teaching about politics in an interesting way. By this I don't mean 'citizenship' lessons because they might have the opposite effect. But many young people will not engage with politics if they think its nothing to do with them. If the voting age was lowered many people would engage as they'd have a chance to say something.

I also think that young people are a lot more politically aware than people think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)

Errrrr, because voting is a lot less likely to kill you perhaps?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Perhaps because the right to vote is more important than the right to access to poisonous materials.
    But if the Government doesn't trust 16 year olds to have the sense to decide whether they should smoke or not, why on earth would they trust them to have a significant say in British politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleeties)
    I am 16, mature and informed enough to make a decision on government but with lowering the voting age wouldn't any taxes imposed on 16 year olds rise?

I'm happy enough to wait.

It would also increase the pressure for politicians to be 'cool' and therefore make David Cameron more of a ****** than he already is.

Where on earth did you get the deluded idea that taxes on 16 year olds will rise because they can vote?

I am personally against a 16 year old voting age for immaturity reasons.

The probelm we really have here is that the Youth Parliament, which is meant to represent our views is campaigning for this change when it is clear we don't want it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 2026)
    Possibly, but maybe many consider politics a bore and simply aren't interested. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Majority of 16-year-olds think we have a President.
    You know, if this was taken during Blair's tenure they might have a point due to the strength of the PM made stronger and the Cabinet being weakened. There are enough idiots who are able to vote so a few 16 and 17 year olds won't harm. I don't think you should be able to fight for your country and not be able to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided, and am under 18, but there wasn't an option for that on the poll.

However I am politically aware, and have a friend campaigning to lower votes so do know quite alot about this.

Most of those under 18 don't care, this is not nessesarialy(sp) a problem as the majority of these would not vote if given an option.

However what if it became 'cool' just to vote whatever and a party like the BNP or the Monster Raving Loony party gain power. Should we risk it?

Weighing up the pros and cons I think 16s who are politically active (e.g. member of local youth council/BYC) should be given the right to vote.

ReputationRep:
    I think the 'too immature' generalisation is a pretty poor arguement. Going by your thought, what makes you think they'd even be bothered to actually vote? If I had the final say, i'd let anyone that could read/write fluent English be eligible to vote. The youth are generally treated as second class citizens for all the wrong reasons, why not give them/us a chance to speak up? Besides, aren't the voting turnouts for elections generally low anyway?

No, no no and no.
    At 16, some are mature enough to make such decisions, but the vast majority aren't even at 18. So as far as i'm concerned. No. Period.

ReputationRep:
    Dear God, no. Most of those enfranchised wouldn't even exercise their newly found right anyway, but still. No.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.