Turn on thread page Beta

can you resit an exam if you got a decent grade but would want a higher grade? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to resit science because only got a C not sure I could resit maths because I got the C but I only leanrt things for the foundation and I think next year I will be too busy with my AS's than to learn everything for maths too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusLL)
    You can sit any exam you want outside of school in November or June. Preferably sit it in November because that way Uni's wont know that you've resat. Apparently on the UCAS form you only have to put the year of examination down not the month

It's month and year, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    It's month and year, I think.
    Is it? I heard from someone that they only put the year down.... - it it optional to put dates or are there set boxes?

ReputationRep:
    Is it? I heard from someone that they only put the year down.... - it it optional to put dates or are there set boxes?
    Drop down menus.

Edit: Yeah, I just logged into UCAS and checked on my qualifications section, finding it says "07/2006" (I somehow entered it as July :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Drop down menus.
    Are they optional fields or are they the mandatory fields with the stars beside them?

ReputationRep:
    Are they optional fields or are they the mandatory fields with the stars beside them?
    Almost everything on the UCAS form is mandatory, these included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrawriorx)
    ok, i know i should be thinking positively but i have a feeling that i didn't do so well in english and french, two of my supposedly strong subjects. i don't think i did badly, per se, but not the A/A*s i wanted. i'm pretty sure i got a high B for both. is it possible to resit the exam in november so that i could aim for a better grade. i know i'm going to be forced to resit science in nov because i totally screwed up and only knew a third of the stuff in the exam so at most a D.

so, anyone know if they allow students to resit an exam at their own free will? and would they erase the previous grade and replace it with the new grade?
    A couple of my friends wanted to resit English as they got As instead of A* when we all took it early in the November of Yr11. The teachers told them it was a waste of time though and that they should focus on what else they had to do.

As stated, whether you can resit depends on where you are. My high school didn't have any sort of provision for students who had left to resit. So, those who had not achieved Cs in English, Maths and Science had to go to a college that allowed them do take it. The sixth form I am at does not (partly because you have to have certain grades to get it so it is almost impossible for them to admit someone with less than a C).

Hence, if you decide you definately want to resit, you will have to check with your college and school as to where you can do it. There is a chance you won't be able to have lessons and might have to pay to take the exams. So I think you need to weigh up whether it is worth it because AS Levels (if that is what you are taking at college) require more focus than GCSE and hence you don't want to be distracting yourself with GCSE exams in November when you might have AS exams in January.

Anyway, good luck and be positive!

=D

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.