Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    These are lifted from another forum, I don't condone it or recommend doing it, best bet if your being tailgated is just keep driving along, funny to read though:

"I stick rigidly to the speed limit. This *****s them off because usually tailgating ******s are also incapable of sticking to the speed limit, and therefore want to go much faster. When moving from a slower speed limit to a higher one, say from 30 to 50, I drop it a couple of cogs and boot it up to the new speed limit then stick there. It usually takes them a while to catch up - they're normally driving **** cars that, although they will do the 85-90 they like to do on the motorway, it takes them a couple of ice-ages to get to that speed. Doing this tells them, yes, I can go fast and accelerate fast if I want to, but I don't want to, so **** off."

"If all else fails, left foot braking ****s them up a treat."

"I generally slow down to a ridiculously slow pace.....then when the time is right(i.e leaving the 30) I drop a gear and floor it! Then when they catch up, a look in the rear view lets them know that i was going that pace because i should, not because the car wont go over 30! "

"I always slow down when someone is up my ass without using the brakes, wait to they try and overtake and floor it. Then repeat the exercise as many times as i can be bothered to."

"i always make sure my washer bottle is topped up, i get a tailgater then i always give me windscreen a GOOD wash. they sit behind and get blinded then i boot it and leave em there, wait till they tail gate me then give their car another wash."

ReputationRep:
    I must admit i have toyed around with drivers , then again who hasnt :p:

However i only toy when its safe to do so, eg 40 to nsl, doing things like random braking, speeding up on maneuvers is just plain stupid !

ReputationRep:
    friends of mine have been known to flick their rear fog lights on when people are tailgating them. the sudden illumination of red lights makes them assume you have slammed on the anchors. they hit theirs in response and you carry on your way.

not that id reccommed doing that on public highways of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel103)
    These are lifted from another forum, I don't condone it or recommend doing it, best bet if your being tailgated is just keep driving along, funny to read though:

"I stick rigidly to the speed limit. This *****s them off because usually tailgating ******s are also incapable of sticking to the speed limit, and therefore want to go much faster. When moving from a slower speed limit to a higher one, say from 30 to 50, I drop it a couple of cogs and boot it up to the new speed limit then stick there. It usually takes them a while to catch up - they're normally driving **** cars that, although they will do the 85-90 they like to do on the motorway, it takes them a couple of ice-ages to get to that speed. Doing this tells them, yes, I can go fast and accelerate fast if I want to, but I don't want to, so **** off."

"If all else fails, left foot braking ****s them up a treat."

"I generally slow down to a ridiculously slow pace.....then when the time is right(i.e leaving the 30) I drop a gear and floor it! Then when they catch up, a look in the rear view lets them know that i was going that pace because i should, not because the car wont go over 30! "

"I always slow down when someone is up my ass without using the brakes, wait to they try and overtake and floor it. Then repeat the exercise as many times as i can be bothered to."

"i always make sure my washer bottle is topped up, i get a tailgater then i always give me windscreen a GOOD wash. they sit behind and get blinded then i boot it and leave em there, wait till they tail gate me then give their car another wash."
    I Love doing that one. Pisses off the people that think it's acceptable to drive over speed limits, and think that by driving right behind your backside is somehow gonna speed you up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    Someone overtook me in a 30 the other day (I was doing 30)...I couldn't believe it!

Not to exagerate, but driving around Birmingham (Bristol road, pershore road etc), on every single occasion I've been out and going at the speed limit people always speed past. It's rare to actually see people sticking to the limit around where I live (and this is generally on all roads - even 20's).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical_cyclist)
    I Love doing that one. Pisses off the people that think it's acceptable to drive over speed limits, and think that by driving right behind your backside is somehow gonna speed you up.
    That only works when his car isnt faster than yours tbh :p:

I only agree to driving on someones backside when there is an empty lane next to the car infront... and the car hogging the lane has no one infront of them....

ReputationRep:
    Drivng up someones "backside" makes u look pretty r e t a r ded on the road. cos if they sunddely brake, you're gonna go flying into the back of them meaning you'll have to make a claim on your insurance. and, as a result, pay an extra premium next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    That only works when his car isnt faster than yours tbh :p:

I only agree to driving on someones backside when there is an empty lane next to the car infront...
    Well a Ford KA is hardly the fastest car in the world!

Hm I don't agree with it at all. Yeah, if there's an empty lane, flash your lights to signal.

I'm also fond of sudden breaking. If they hit the back of you, it'll always be their fault, ne'er mind

ReputationRep:
    Well a Ford KA is hardly the fastest car in the world!

Hm I don't agree with it at all. Yeah, if there's an empty lane, flash your lights to signal.

I'm also fond of sudden breaking. If they hit the back of you, it'll always their fault, ne'er mind
    if you live to tell the tale ............

ReputationRep:
    Not if they have protected claims - still makes them a tit though.

While probably not legal, one thing I have heard of is to fit a castor oil mister to the back of your car, then if they tailgate, you turn it on, it sprays oil at their car (not the windscreen, but the bonnet, and if any gets into the cabin through the ventilation, they will get the ****s. Other systems just leave a mist on the windscreen, but I suspect the old bill might not like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also fond of sudden breaking. If they hit the back of you, it'll always be their fault, ne'er mind
    so you're fond of causing crashes then?
    Yes the person tailgating is in the wrong, but they dont deserve to potenially be killed from smashing in the back of you becuase u suddenly broke. And surely you dont want to want to be injured either, unless your a machosist (or however you spell it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .John.)
    Yes the person tailgating is in the wrong, but they dont deserve to potenially be killed from smashing in the back of you becuase u suddenly broke. And surely you dont want to want to be injured either, unless your a machosist (or however you spell it
    Potentially cause complete and utter chaos actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG)
    Potentially cause complete and utter chaos actually
    precisely! Think of the potential traffic jams you could cause from it, any the millions of people whos journey you'll delay.

So sudden braking is pretty m o r o n i c indeed

ReputationRep:
    A 'masochist'? Yes, I deliberately brake in any opportunity so I can injure myself purposely :rolleyes:

C'mon, you're exaggerating by saying someone can be killed. Obviously if I can see someone is approaching twice as fast as I'm travelling, I'm not going to suddenly brake cos then that WILL be a fatal accident.

People that tailgate are (presumably) prepared for the car in front to suddenly brake if something unexpected appears in the road. That's why there is a two second rule. People that plead ignorance to this when tailgating don't deserve a licence.

ReputationRep:
    A 'masochist'? Yes, I deliberately brake in any opportunity so I can injure myself purposely :rolleyes:

C'mon, you're exaggerating by saying someone can be killed. Obviously if I can see someone is approaching twice as fast as I'm travelling, I'm not going to suddenly brake cos then that WILL be a fatal accident.

People that tailgate are (presumably) prepared for the car in front to suddenly brake if something unexpected appears in the road. That's why there is a two second rule. People that plead ignorance to this when tailgating don't deserve a licence.
    Well done, its not the point thats being made, very well if they are being ignorant, how is you randomly braking with a tailgater helping ? or being safe? tbh someone randomly braking to teach the tailgater a lesson is no better than the tailgater ....

ReputationRep:
    precisely! Think of the potential traffic jams you could cause from it, any the millions of people whos journey you'll delay.

So sudden braking is pretty m o r o n i c indeed
    No, I'd never ever do it above a 30mph speed limit road. Just a gentle tap on the brakes is enough to make most idiots realise.

I like the idea of the post earlier about putting the rear fog lights on to make them think you're braking, never thought of doing that!

ReputationRep:

Obviously, yes i was exagerating, but you can still easily give them, and yourself!, whiplash, which is not nice at all

i agree, they don't deserve a license, but they dont deserve to be injured from a collision. And the other drivers behind you certainly dont desvere to have to wait behind you, while your cars get towed out the way (if, of course, they crash is that serious)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    To be honest, I'm guilty of that, and I'm by no means a learner. A narrow unknown twisty road with cows and leprechauns sprouting by the wayside whilst the geese are playing frogger is an indicative to keep your speed down. Have you been to alton towers? You won't see many people doing 60 down the roads near there....30-45 would be around average.

(and this coming from a dude who's got no problem with 90+ on the motorways.)
    It was a reasonably straight road, I saw no problem with doing 60. I was always told to make reasonable progress according to the conditions. I wouldn't call 30 on a straight national limit road on an overcast day 'reasonable progress'...

ReputationRep:
    i'm learning to drive at them moment so when i get tailgaters (and im by no means slow i always try to stay at speed limit so it REALLY annoys me) i get my dad to turn around in his seat and just give them an evil glare until they back off, usually works.

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon it would be legal to fit a little switch allowing you to turn your brake lights on without braking, to give them a hint?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.