Turn on thread page Beta

Beginner's question: Short interest and CDS spreads watch

Announcements

(Original post by Inter-Company)
    ffs i was just asking :rolleyes:
    FFS, you can't be bothered to use google or wikipedia to find answers to those questions.

It's not hard, at all, so do it.

That's the best piece of information you're going to get around here.

ReputationRep:
    as I SAID in my EARLIER post, it wasn't something i particularly gave a crap about to put it simply, hence why i didn't bother to research it as i didn't care enough and didn't want to waste my time - however little that time might have been

ReputationRep:
    Ben is right. It would've been quicker to Google it than to "not research it," as you put it.

ReputationRep:
    explain to me how?

whats quicker typing 2 sentences in about 10 seconds, or going onto google, typing in the relevent information, going on to wiki, and then trolling through the page looking for the information i need

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Why does a student need access to this kind of information?
    To answer questions like the OP's? You've responded to a request for information with "Get a Bloomberg terminal", and now ask why they'd need the solution you suggested? I'd imagine on a student website a "without spending thousands of pounds" suffix to any question can be assumed.

(Original post by Drogue)
    To answer questions like the OP's?
    I think the 'better' posters around here should be making an effort to keep the eyes of the 'kids' on the correct ball.

People should be encouraged to do their own research, to focus on the important matters rather than the small details of particular data.

You've responded to a request for information with "Get a Bloomberg terminal", and now ask why they'd need the solution you suggested?
    It isn't impossible for people to get access to a BBERG terminal. Far from it - and they don't need to get one of their own.

BBERG is just software - get somebody's Anywhere card and then borrow their login details.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the neg rep who ever that was - be a man and at least leave your name (unless you were a women, in which case be a women and leave your name) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think the 'better' posters around here should be making an effort to keep the eyes of the 'kids' on the correct ball.

People should be encouraged to do their own research, to focus on the important matters rather than the small details of particular data.
    Very true. If you'd said that first, I'd have entirely agreed.

(Original post by Drogue)
    Very true. If you'd said that first, I'd have entirely agreed.
    Since when did I have to start explaining myself in here?

I just do it. There's some stuff in AamM for you to look at. I think the points I'm on are a little bit 'heavy-handed' given the forum and so forth.

I shouldn't have to explain why I'm doing the really, very good things I do. Much like how students don't need to say 'without spending thousands of pounds'. I know that. I also know it isn't possible to find a kind soul who has a BBERG next to them.

Although it is rather harder to get them to do you a favour... especially one they disagree with.

ReputationRep:

I just do it. There's some stuff in AamM for you to look at. I think the points I'm on are a little bit 'heavy-handed' given the forum and so forth.

I shouldn't have to explain why I'm doing the really, very good things I do. Much like how students don't need to say 'without spending thousands of pounds'. I know that. I also know it isn't possible to find a kind soul who has a BBERG next to them.

Although it is rather harder to get them to do you a favour... especially one they disagree with.
    Err.. what? Who's saying you have to explain yourself. All I did was point out the seeming discrepancy between answering:
    Get a Bloomberg terminal. It'll show you all that you want.
    and
    Why does a student need access to [Bloomberg/Reuters]?
    First you told him to answer his question he'd need to get Bloomberg, then you ask him later why he needs access to it! I agree entirely with your comment that he doesn't need to worry about the question, however you seemed to pull him on a wild goose chase first, before making the point.

That's all I'm commenting on. No need to justify anything.

ReputationRep:
    lmao ok bigshot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukey)
    What's a "normal" short interest for a BB bank? Lehman's at 13% according to Alphaville, and I was wondering how this compared with the sector average.

Googling for an answer lead me to the Nasdaq website but that returns 'Symbol not found' errors for the codes I've tried (LEH, GS, CS, etc). What symbol should I be entering or should I be using a different code completely?

Similarly, I assume the CDS spread of 215bp is also well above average, but, again, I'm not sure how to compare it against others in the sector or, indeed, elsewhere.

Simple.

1. Short interest is the amount of stock on loan. A high short interest indicates lots of people shorting the stock - that's why you saw some short squeeze (i.e the price rallying) when a stock is overshorted (Home comes to mind as one being overshorted).

2. The swap spread sounds high. The comparison is available on bloomberg, reuters, and Thomson datastream. I'm not sure where you could find that on the web.

(Original post by rboogie)
    Short interest is the amount of stock on loan. A high short interest indicates lots of people shorting the stock - that's why you saw some short squeeze (i.e the price rallying) when a stock is overshorted (Home comes to mind as one being overshorted).
    He knows what it is - he wants to know what percentage of the stock has been borrowed for the purpose of going short.

ReputationRep:
    He knows what it is - he wants to know what percentage of the stock has been borrowed for the purpose of going short.
    that's what short interest is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was after a comparison for short interest as well. The implication in the article is that 13% - the short interest in Lehman - is high. I just wondered how high.

The answer, though, seems to be that such information isn't freely available.

Cheers,

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that's hard to get without paying a lot for it. That is definitely a high figure though for sure. The top shorted stocks are around 20-25% and those are rare - high short figures are anywhere from 10-18. (the 20-25% ones usually are large investors hedging their own losses so those are distorted - example being anything related to Tchenguiz)

(Original post by rboogie)
    yeah, that's hard to get without paying a lot for it. That is definitely a high figure though for sure. The top shorted stocks are around 20-25% and those are rare - high short figures are anywhere from 10-18. (the 20-25% ones usually are large investors hedging their own losses so those are distorted - example being anything related to Tchenguiz)
    Amazon was about 30 to 35 at the height of anti-dot.com paranoia.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.