Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    I don't think it's as clear cut as some people are stating here - Wrangler (on TSR) got an A at GCSE and went on to get a high first at Cambridge; Gaz031 got a B and then went on to get a first at Warwick.
    This.
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Take this from someone who breezed through further maths A-level.
    It really does vary from person to person though. I've also found Further Maths A level fairly straightforward (despite having to teach myself half of it in 6 months), and the AEA/STEP questons I've tried haven't been too bad. I barely scraped an A* in GCSE Maths, though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    This.

It really does vary from person to person though. I've also found Further Maths A level fairly straightforward (despite having to teach myself half of it in 6 months), and the AEA/STEP questons I've tried haven't been too bad. I barely scraped an A* in GCSE Maths, though.
    Didn't claim to know everything about the OP. I did ask for clarification on how he was finding the work...

Make sure you rape AS Maths and Further Maths (or A2 maths). I.e. don't just get As, but get 95%+, it'd give the impression that your A at GCSE was just a blip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    On the subject of maths challenges, they're good if you do well but not essential like standard GCSE and A-level maths qualifications. Some mathematicians are naturally able to do well (I got gold every year and was invited to the Olympiad every year in secondary school) but the other student who's doing Cambridge maths from my old sixth form was never that good and silver was the best she ever acheived.
    yeah well girls are naturally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Didn't claim to know everything about the OP. I did ask for clarification on how he was finding the work...
    Ive found it pretty easy this year, maths seems to have clicked for some reason. I managed to get 100% in C1, although I understand that isn't extraordinary. esp for Cambridge, in fact its probably the norm.

The other modules seem to have gone pretty swell also, just c4 to go now.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll get away with it if you really do well at the A level modules. If you get an interview and impress them there then that'll matter a lot more than your GCSE maths. But it will be odd so you will have to be better than most people in other places to compensate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Numanator1)
    Ive found it pretty easy this year, maths seems to have clicked for some reason. I managed to get 100% in C1, although I understand that isn't extraordinary. esp for Cambridge, in fact its probably the norm.

The other modules seem to have gone pretty swell also, just c4 to go now.
    Go for it, then.

Have you done any extra reading or generally shown interest in maths outside the classroom at all? They'll care about that a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the BAMC in manchester for applied maths, that was really good. I'm going to the caius summer school in july so that sould give me a taste of what it might be like. As for reading, I generally read things on theoretical physics. I also teach yr7 kids who arent so bright at maths

ReputationRep:
    What modules would be best for me to choose (for A level FM) if I were to do STEP/the Cambridge maths course
    School compulsory: C1 (done), C2 (done), C3 (done), C4, FP1, FP2, FP3
    I have already done: S1, S2, M1
    choice between S3, M2, M3, D1 (which 2 would be the best?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theultimate)
    M2 and M3. After pure, mechanics is by far the most important.

(Original post by theultimate)
    What modules would be best for me to choose (for A level FM) if I were to do STEP/the Cambridge maths course
    School compulsory: C1 (done), C2 (done), C3 (done), C4, FP1, FP2, FP3
    I have already done: S1, S2, M1
    I'll say definitely do M2, and just choose whichever you'll prefer out of S3 and M3. D1 isn't well regarded by Cambridge, and it won't help at all with STEP. For STEP, there are 3 mechanics questions and 2 statistics questions although I don't think this such be much of a factor, my impression is that most people get most of their questions from the pure section.

ReputationRep:
    Would any new decision material covered in D1 be required in Cambridge courses, or any maths courses?

ReputationRep:
    In order of value:

C / FP
    M
    S
    D

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics is greatly preferred. But on the other hand, if you get an offer, it won't affect them. And D1 is a really easy module to get marks in, if you want a safety cushion. Although I'm not surprised Cambridge don't like it - it's hardly maths.

ReputationRep:
    One of my fellow 2nd year mathematicians at Cambridge got a B at GCSE additional mathematics so I don't think they'll care about your A to be honest.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.