Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaffaaf27)
    sina + cosa = 1?
    no sorry, sin^2(a)+cos^2(a)=1 basic trig.

ReputationRep:
    OMG i love you. and the others that helped. illbe back for more
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Have you considered using complex numbers in polar form?
    This is, presumably, a C4 question; that's an FP3 method.

ReputationRep:
    I was never taught the product-to-sum formulae - nor have I ever come across a situation in which I need to use them. I find this odd, as they seem to be talked about on here almost as often as  \int e^{-x^2} \, dx.

ReputationRep:
    It's in Edexcel C3 anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    It's in Edexcel C3 anyway.
    It's not, curiously enough. It's in the formula book, but it's not in the specification or in any of the books. Never found out why.

ReputationRep:
    It was probably in P2 or P3, but they haven't bothered to take it out of the formula book. I dare say they'll do the same for radius of curvature in FP3, come next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    It's not, curiously enough. It's in the formula book, but it's not in the specification or in any of the books. Never found out why.
    Are you sure?
    I distinctly remember being asked to prove those identities and use them to separate products. I dont have the textbook to check unfortunately. I only used C3 & C4 Heinemann books so it's gotta be in there somewhere.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are you sure?
    I distinctly remember being asked to prove those identities and use them to separate products. I dont have the textbook to check unfortunately. I only used C3 & C4 Heinemann books so it's gotta be in there somewhere.
    Where were these questions? I worked through every Solomon paper and C3 past paper, and I don't remember being asked to use them; we were told all the time by our teachers they weren't on the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anything like this in any pastpaper or lesson - i'm worried (or perhaps my exam board is naff!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is, presumably, a C4 question; that's an FP3 method.
    Yes but the OP is permitted to use FP3 methods on C4 questions (I was assuming he was a Further Mathematician - this is probably a daft assumption considering he doesn't know how to spell integration!)

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Yes but the OP is permitted to use FP3 methods on C4 questions (I was assuming he was a Further Mathematician - this may be a big assumption!)
    Of course, I just thought that might be a bit too much of an assumption - if the OP was doing FP3, presumably they wouldn't get stuck on C4 questions. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Where were these questions? I worked through every Solomon paper and C3 past paper, and I don't remember being asked to use them; we were told all the time by our teachers they weren't on the syllabus.
    We are talking about sinp + sinq = 2sinblahcosblah etc right?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    We are talking about sinp + sinq = 2sinblahcosblah etc right?
    Yep.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mr M)
    this is probably a daft assumption considering he doesn't know how to spell integration!
    Sneaky edit there.

Edexcel have been misspelling "integration" on the front of their exam papers for quite some time. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    Found it. Core 3, bottom of page 112, look here on google books. It's covered fully.

The formulae are not necessary for C3. My teacher never bothered teaching them (nor did he bother with algebraic long division!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    The formulae are not necessary for C3. My teacher never bothered teaching them (nor did he bother with algebraic long division!)
    I found it useful for C4 integration rather than essentially proving the identities each time. It's not necessary though, but it's there.

It's not necessary though, but it's there.
    There are not actually in the specification (http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf ), so it's not clear why they are in the formulae booklet! I think it could be a case of: "You may find the following results useful..."

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably learn how to use 'em, then. Might come in handy on Thursday, and will certainly become useful at some point in the future...

(Original post by Kolya)
    it's not clear why they are in the formulae booklet! I think it could be a case of: "You may find the following results useful..."
    Like I said, I think they used to be part of the specification, pre-2004, but were never removed from the formula booklet. A few other things like that are in there, too, none of which springs to mind at the moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.