Turn on thread page Beta

General anesthetic watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I, like most people, remember very little from when I was seven and certainly not any reliable detail.
    i remember it in so much detail haha, like a flashbulb memory ..unfortunately
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    general anesthetics really good nower days and u carnt fight it if u want it wont make a diff cause its a drug induced sleep, Propofol (milky 1) is by far the best to have and what ull proberly be given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Propofol (milky 1)
    'White stuff' to those in the know. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was quite worried that it wouldnt work properly, I was lying there thinking omg its not working...the next minute...youre waking up from it!
    and it didnt help that the anaesthetist put the canula thing in my hand in the wrong place so had to take it out and start again, oh and the chair he sits on whilst doing it rolled away so when he went to sit down he fell and nearly landed on the floor and had to grab onto my arm!:rolleyes: it gave me a lot of reassurance lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I had a General Anesthetic 3 weeks ago (thats why I started the Operations thread that Renal linked above). I was a little nervous so I wanted to get some background info too.

Anyway, basically I was a bit of a wimp so they gave me a sedative which was sposed to make me slightly hazy (but it really honestly didnt). So I can still give you a good picture of what it was like.
    Basically, they either wheel you or walk you up to theatre, and you lie down on a bed thingy in the anasthetic room.
    You'll get a canula inserted into your hand and then they inject the anasthetic into that. They attach heart rate monitors to you, and adjust your gown etc and after a few seconds you soon fall off to sleep.

My first memory of waking up was 3 hours later (I don't know where I went in that time, as my operation was only 30 mins). I sort of felt incredibly confused, and there was a womans face swimming infront of me and an oxygen mask on my face.
    Then I was so sleepy I just fell asleep again.

You kind of wake up really puzzled, not knowing where you are at all and also not caring much either because you just want to sleep.

Soon after I was wheeled back down to the ward, where I had another sleep. Then they woke me up after an hour or so nap and gave me a sandwich and some water. Once I'd eaten both they let me get dressed and I was off to the discharge suite.

If you have any particular questions then PM me and I'll do my best to answer
    Why didn't you wake up until 3 hours ofter your Operation ?
    Is that normal ?

ReputationRep:
    You don't really feel it at all. You just fall asleep and then you're out cold. Did rather scare me age 6 when I woke up in intensive care after an operation though. I had what felt like a space-suit helmet on. I still have no idea what that was about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    Why didn't you wake up until 3 hours ofter your Operation ?
    Is that normal ?
    They did wake up, they just don't remember.

ReputationRep:
    General anaesthetic makes me prone to sick bouts.

The first time was when they refused to remove the oxygen mask.

The second time was when the anaesthetist put 1 1/2 x the initial amount in to numb the pain after the operation and then gave me food.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    thats unusual, they usually give u morphine and anti sickeness before they put u to sleep and again when u wake up is ure gunna be in pain or prone to being sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    'White stuff' to those in the know. :p:
    And if we have to intervene...

Anaesthetists have lots of tubes full of exciting stuff to play with.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds terrifying. I;m having one in a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    They really aren't terrifying, although i was crying and pulling a big paddy before mine (i was 13.. bit old for a paddy i know) because i did get a suden urge of panic. I really wanted to stay awake because I was angry in my panic but the next thing I knew I was waking back up. said some rather funny things aparently.. I was also sick for a few hours after, had a very dry mouth and a very very sore throat but it really wasn't anything to have been worried about! I'm wayy more interested in what peoples ops were for?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And if we have to intervene...
    It's how I made my career preference.

ReputationRep:
    i've had a few general anasthetics. the only bad bit is the needle they stick in you! basically you just drift off, i doubt you could fight it. its a really weird feeling but its kinda good too, you miss all the crappy stuff and the operation seems to have taken a couple of minutes cause you're out for it!
    good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    thats unusual, they usually give u morphine and anti sickeness before they put u to sleep and again when u wake up is ure gunna be in pain or prone to being sick.
    They gave me the morphine and anti sickness before the op, however the anaesthetic wore off due to the the conditions of the room and prolonged exposure to the oxygen (I tried to get it off, but they thought I was still deluded from the anaesthetic).

The second time was from the extra anaesthetic as it was another 1 1/2 doses (as half the dose didn't go in right.)

Anaesthetic generally disagrees with me, always has.

It did for my tonsils.
    It did for my teeth extraction.
    It did for my bones.
    It did for my hernia.
    It did for braces.
    It did for my pin.

I'm not allergic, it just generally disagrees with me more than others.

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 30 general anaesthetics with my chemo treatment, both through central line, canula and gas, seriously its no biggie out of 30 there was one botched one and I still love the feeling of being knocked out! Its like no other.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i had ketlar alot and that was terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible i was sick after and unable to walk away for hrs :\ this was along time ago though .

ReputationRep:
    Had one not too long ago after I shattered my arm. As everyone says, it's not bad at all and you certainly won't feel a thing.

Nothing like morphine though; lethal stuff (in a good way) when you're in severe pain. made being in hospital a positive experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noleafclover1999)
    It did for my tonsils.
    It did for my teeth extraction.
    It did for my bones.
    It did for my hernia.
    It did for braces.
    It did for my pin.
    You needed a GA for a simple bit of tooth butchery? Braces?

ReputationRep:
    I had a GA for having 3 teeth out when I was 6. Mainly because I refused to allow the dentist to shove a wacking great needle in my mouth!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.