Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .John.)
    meh, i know it sounds really arrogant, but, it's their loss...
    id rather go to a uni which actually wants me and one which i dont have to lower myself to begging to. i.e. UCL and Southampton APPLY THERE PEOPLE!! WO
    Well it may or may not be their loss who knows. In terms of anything related to science and engineering UCL has nothing, Soton has something with engineering but still way off on Imperials. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, really appriecate it i feel more confident now about applying now. there was me thinking imperial only took straight a candidates...

ah, gcses. i'm glad they dont worry too much about it because i didn't get amazing results. 2 c's, 4 b's, 4 a's B's in Double Science though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    Congrats on UCL and Southampton though - I went to both and really liked the atmosphere at UCL. The custard thing at Southampton was pretty cool too!
    Thanks, well done on imperial, whats ur insurance uni?

btw, did u apply for the QUEST or INSPIRE scholarship? Just wondering cos i did and i havnt heard anything back yet...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, well done on imperial, whats ur insurance uni?

btw, did u apply for the QUEST or INSPIRE scholarship? Just wondering cos i did and i havnt heard anything back yet...
    Thanks! (I really wasn't expecting the offer though). My insurance is Bristol as I really liked the department and have a friend going there.

Yep, I did actually apply for the inspire scholarship, and am planning to apply for the Quest later. I seriously doubt I'll get either of them as I really rushed my application (had to finish my physics courseworks and complete the inspire form within a couple of days). I haven't even started on the Quest form yet! But I've heard that's v competitive so it won't matter much.

Is there any company you have your eye on? I would love one from Arup, but I'd be lucky enough just to qualify given that I have no work experience! (The Quest interviews sound pretty horrifying if I'm honest.)

ReputationRep:
    Enigma, John is chatting out of his arse (no offence) LOL.
    Make sure you apply for Imperial, if you dont, you may just regret it later.. !

ReputationRep:
    Unless you go to a private school i wouldn't bother if i was you.
    I got good grades in my AS levels all AABB (maths physics french economics respectively) My subjects were relevent to the course i applied for (civil engineering) I was predicted AAA for my a-levels. I got invited for an interview (so my personal statement must have been good enough), which in my opion went really well. BUt i still got rejected. They didnt say why, so the only thing i can think of would be that i go to a state school and not a private school. Which, if you think about it, doesn't makes sense becuase, admittidly, the teaching in state schools is worse compared to teaching in private schools, therefore someone getting an A grade is a particular subject in a state school is actually better than someone getting an A grade in the same subject in a private school.

But besides, why do you wanna go to imperial? You would have much more fun at other unis
    I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected, but to be perfectly blunt, I do not believe that they would decide to reject purely because you're state-educated. Maybe it was because you didn't have FM? Or you got B grades at AS, or your module grades at AS weren't up to scratch. Did you take a look at what your school reference was like?

Although it is true that Imperial does have a relatively high undergraduate intake from the private sector (40%?), I think that perhaps it is because they (private schools) are fairly selective and often teach beyond the exam syllabuses. Therefore their students would more often than not find it easier to achieve high grades in external exams. Rather than an intentional snubbing of random state sector students.

On the other hand, your interviewer might just have been in a particularly vindictive mood on the day and didn't take to you

EDIT: But yeah, to anyone indecisive about whether they want to apply to Imperial or not - as long as you have decent grades at AS just apply.

ReputationRep:
    I got BBC at AS(flopped exams) but I still got an offer of AAB for chemistry. My predicted grades were A, A/B and B. My reference was very, very good and my PS must have also been liked a lot by the admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam12)
    I got BBC at AS(flopped exams) but I still got an offer of AAB for chemistry. My predicted grades were A, A/B and B. My reference was very, very good and my PS must have also been liked a lot by the admissions tutors.
    study hard then if you messed up as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Polhem)
    study hard then if you messed up as
    It's a bit late isn't it. My exams are nearly over. Physics tommorrow....which will probably judge if I go to Imperial or not. Chemistry on thurs will judge whether I go to Uni at all. So far though, maths has been average whilst re-sits and A2 mods in physics have been very good .

ReputationRep:
    anyone got into medicine with relatively terrible AS grades??

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you go to a private school i wouldn't bother if i was you.
    I got good grades in my AS levels all AABB (maths physics french economics respectively) My subjects were relevent to the course i applied for (civil engineering) I was predicted AAA for my a-levels. I got invited for an interview (so my personal statement must have been good enough), which in my opion went really well. BUt i still got rejected. They didnt say why, so the only thing i can think of would be that i go to a state school and not a private school. Which, if you think about it, doesn't makes sense becuase, admittidly, the teaching in state schools is worse compared to teaching in private schools, therefore someone getting an A grade is a particular subject in a state school is actually better than someone getting an A grade in the same subject in a private school.

But besides, why do you wanna go to imperial? You would have much more fun at other unis
    Mate, I'm sorry to hear you got rejected and all, but you don't have to be at a private school. I did my A-Levels at my high school (sixth form), because I never managed to get into any decent colleges. Trust me when I say my sixth form was nothing special, yet I still received an offer.

OP, apply. You really have nothing to lose. At AS I got ABBC and they offered me, though I was predicted AAA and had a lot of help with my personal statement. You have absolutely nothing to lose, just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    anyone got into medicine with relatively terrible AS grades??
    If you don't get A2 predictions that are least what the entrance requirements are asking for, then don't even consider putting 'medicine' as any of your choices, regardless of whether it's at Imperial or Cambridge, or Southampton Lancaster (arguably all medical schools are equal seeing as the degree that you come out with is the same in that it allows you to preregister with GMC, but noone belieeves that. )

ReputationRep:
    can i get away with AABB (at AS) for medicine? ..to be more specific... its cool as long as i get AAA at A2 right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enigma23)
    just wondering to those people who got into imperial; what AS grades did you get for AS?

i am a bit worried because i want to apply to imperial for 2009 in perhaps biology or chemistry. i love them both and i am still deciding. the problem is that, i only think i have got 2 a's for as in chemistry in maths, and i think i could scrape an a for bio but in physics i am looking at a C at best. it doesnt say anything on imperial's site about what grades to get at AS for biology and chemistry. any advice? cheers
    I think most of the competitive IC courses are looking for 3As at least (best would be in traditional subjects). If you are applying for chemistry 3As in Maths/Bio/Chem is enough in my opinion. But mind you, the chemistry course in IC is very physical based. So I don't know how much they will weight a C in physics..

Everyone's background is different. In my school everyone got 4 to 5 As in A2 but that's only norm. It's even better if you are from a state school and explain that in interviews along with any other circumstances. So you should definitely apply! You probably have a lot other plus points e.g music/leadership ability etc that will catch admission officers.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't Imperial bringing in entrance exams this year?

ReputationRep:
    any1 doing medicine at imperial? i got in!!
    wt u doin smartz?

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Computing is the shizz.

ReputationRep:
    hi just looking for some advise, i was considering applying to imperial for maths but i dont have As in all my maths modules at As but i have an A overall. i know that sounds bad but i have quite good gcse's (9A* and 2A from quite a bog standard comprehensive) and if i am predicted 4As at A2 and have a good PS and good references do i still stand a chance?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.