Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applying4Maths)
    Agreed. Everytime I walk up to the Chem Cafe lady she shouts at me "Can't take your notes!" I have given her more than enough small change over the years for her to be able to break a note for me every so often...
    I used to try to break the grumpiness by smiling at them, but now I try as much as possible to resist my ingrained urge to be polite.

ReputationRep:
    Fresher brownies. Check.
    Less grumpy staff. Check.

I'll get on the case!

Actually, it always surprises me as to how expensive those brownies actually are...

ReputationRep:
    As for the nightbus I go on it last year when I wanted to go from college to my house on the otherside of town alone. It was late, I was pissed, and I only had 50p (not realising it had gone up) The man wouldnt let me on and was trying to make me walk. Fortunatly I was rescued by a nice boy who gave me 25p but I thought the real point of the nightbus was personal saftey? Letting pissed girls walk home at 2am is not really doing that. Couldnt they operate a campus card system like the taxi fair thing for people who havent got the cash?

ReputationRep:
    That should definitely not happen - ever. Even if you don't have enough money to pay, they have a system where you simply arrange to pay the following day or something - perhaps by giving the driver your campus card. The Nightbus is a welfare service, so taking onboard lone travellers is exactly the point of it.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. I remember when the Nightbus was free/voluntary contributions and it was driven by the legend that was Dave. Yes he sometimes just didn't bother to turn up, forcing me to make the long walk up to Outer Gilesgate, but when he did, he was a hero.

Then he got the sack

ReputationRep:
    I think the Night Bus should be publicised more (unless it already is a lot but Hild Bede is missed out, as sometimes happens).

Also, the food in Kingsgate is overpriced and not that nice. Can something be done?

ReputationRep:
    I asked about 8 people last night what time the night bus ran, including DSU-y types and even Kev the porter and noone knew, thus we missed it and I walked home with no shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh ooh ooh! I really like the smoothies from the Riverside Cafe, they are a really good thing ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    That should definitely not happen - ever. Even if you don't have enough money to pay, they have a system where you simply arrange to pay the following day or something - perhaps by giving the driver your campus card. The Nightbus is a welfare service, so taking onboard lone travellers is exactly the point of it.
    Thats what I thought so I got a bit cross, It should be ther as a welfare service, if it dosent fulfil this role then there is no point in DSU subsidising it at all.

ReputationRep:
    With the nightbus, firstly to say it's a good service. Maybe not as good as it used to be (Becca knows the score!) - I used to use it to get from Gilesgate to Trevs and back now and then, which was really handy when I was working a shift in the shop at night.

I think it's well publicised but it's just too rubbish for what is publicised. You hear about the timetable, the route, the stops, the fare, the policy if you're alone, etc etc. but when it comes down to it it's a tiny minibus driven by some grumpy person demanding money off you, which stops at seemingly random intervals and seemingly random times, only goes in one direction (it used to actually take me the same amount of time practically to walk from Trevs to Gilesgate than going on the Nightbus via Langley Moor, Nevilles Cross, and the back of beyond!), and as someone said there doesn't seem to be any assurances if you ARE alone and need transport.

My advice....

1. Compulsory fares of 50p (75p is a stupid price)
    2. If no money, give in your campus card and you go to collect from the DSU the next day but pay the fare.
    3. Talk to the big people at the University and encourage them to set up PROPER stop signs (not big shelters or anything) - where the bus stops at an actual bus stop have a poster on it displaying that it stops there. In other place attach a permanent sign to a fence/post nearby, with a timetable on, so that people know when it's coming and what to expect.
    4. In the future, I would suggest you think about having one bus going in each direction. As soon as the nightbus becomes a more reliable and constant service, it's going to be used more. As I say, at the moment it's just a dingy little minibus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Ooh ooh ooh! I really like the smoothies from the Riverside Cafe, they are a really good thing ;yes;
    I used to LOVE those, but apparently they're not using the tropical juice in their smoothies anymore as they're just going to use fresh juice. I think this is bad as apple/orange juice tastes too strong to mix with some fruits (strawberries in my case). Sigh.

I can't believe DSU general meetings are once a year now - WTF? I know not many people go but I still think it's appalling that the only way non-reps can find out what's going on is to go to a once yearly meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I used to LOVE those, but apparently they're not using the tropical juice in their smoothies anymore as they're just going to use fresh juice. I think this is bad as apple/orange juice tastes too strong to mix with some fruits (strawberries in my case). Sigh.

I can't believe DSU general meetings are once a year now - WTF? I know not many people go but I still think it's appalling that the only way non-reps can find out what's going on is to go to a once yearly meeting.
    The DSU really is a joke though, no one is going to give a ****. A general meeting you might actually get people who are non-reps attending. Btw, anyone can go to a council meeting, just not vote at it (though given how many reps turn up, chances are you will get a card).

Though next presidential election I might rip the piss out of them by getting a hold of the RON campaign budget and running a full campaign.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually well up for that - I was Grey's Senior Rep last year and participation does largely suck but I really think that mainly it's just because people don't care about politics, it's a lot more political than JCR - especially with all the labour goons that often fill up the ranks - no one cares at our level. Most of the general public don't care I appreciate why the issues are important but if I hadn't been senior rep I would have skipped more than a fair few meetings, it's all policy stuff which is important from a national perspective but hardly any of which affects us.

Flo started a great reform within DSU, better-formatted meetings and structure for one. Inevitably though there are a few goons who make the entire process a complete drag, often JCR-election rejects. People should run for DSU positions as a first-choice (the good ones do) and not a fallback. Without JCRs DSU would be a lot more prominent (like at other universities) but the active participation you get at JCRs does not translate down to the union as well, people will generally get involved with one or the other in my experience or a specific field (like Disabilities) and most will go to their JCR.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't to say we shouldn't encourage DSU participation - as I say I do appreciate the national significance of our actions, but that's not what comes to people's minds a lot of the time when they think "What can our union do for us?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henri)
    I'm actually well up for that - I was Grey's Senior Rep last year and participation does largely suck but I really think that mainly it's just because people don't care about politics, it's a lot more political than JCR - especially with all the labour goons that often fill up the ranks - no one cares at our level. Most of the general public don't care I appreciate why the issues are important but if I hadn't been senior rep I would have skipped more than a fair few meetings, it's all policy stuff which is important from a national perspective but hardly any of which affects us.

Flo started a great reform within DSU, better-formatted meetings and structure for one. Inevitably though there are a few goons who make the entire process a complete drag, often JCR-election rejects. People should run for DSU positions as a first-choice (the good ones do) and not a fallback. Without JCRs DSU would be a lot more prominent (like at other universities) but the active participation you get at JCRs does not translate down to the union as well, people will generally get involved with one or the other in my experience or a specific field (like Disabilities) and most will go to their JCR.
    Send me a reminder nearer the time and I would be more than happy to go along with you. It might be worth using your DSU contacts to get more people involved.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair to plug my blog here: http://neg-rep.blogspot.com/
    It'll get more updates this term. Probably!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxius)
    I think it's fair to plug my blog here: http://neg-rep.blogspot.com/
    It'll get more updates this term. Probably!
    Hang on, when did we get an education officer?

ReputationRep:
    There was a meeting last term where he was elected... although he wasn't there to hust and someone else had to do it for him. I think he [Oliver Hyams] will do a good job though.

ReputationRep:
    Well anyone is better than no one I guess. How much stuff is still unfilled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Well anyone is better than no one I guess. How much stuff is still unfilled?
    (According to Andy) The following DSU exec positions are unfilled:
    • Postgraduate Officer
    • Publicity Officer

But other ones:
    • Faculty reps for Sciences, Social Sciences and Health,
    • Race Awareness Officer

Elections for these positions will take place at the first council meeting of term, the date of which has not yet been announced.

I hope there are some eager-beavers out there!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.