Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    There *is* (was) an all-boys flat in penbryn apparently... :s Why would anyone do that to themselves? I couldn't cope with all male/all female company...
    Yeah there was an all female flat opposite me in Cwrt Mawr. Never found out if they asked for it or not though. Couldn't cope with it personally.

EDIT: Although that was only 6 people opposite me and 1 lived upstairs with her boyfriend so only actually 5. I can't imagine a corridor of 20 odd boys :eek:
    EDIT 2: Hahaa not 20 odd as in strange, as in roughly 20 boys lol

ReputationRep:
    In my first year, I was in an all-male corridor in Penbryn (they have the bottom floors in penbryn all-male, supposedly so murderers and rapists get you first, dunno if its still like that) and it was a bit barmy to be fair. 22 18 year old lads all looking for a party and girls (well, most of them were into girls ). Some of the quieter ones moved out, but I stayed, even though I was annoyed quite a lot by the antics and, in a way, bullying that went on. Mind you, you did get to see them in various states of undress as they headed for the shower :hubba: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Could've just been coincidence, in my first year the bottom floor of the Penbryn block I was in wasn't all male, and I don't think some of the others were either. The way room allocations worked on our corridor was that the boys were one end, and the girls the other, where as other floors were mixed. Meant we had a 'girls' bathroom and a boys bathroom (I say 'girls', but there were 3 lads our side of the kitchen in the three rooms closest to it)

ReputationRep:
    People always say that the bottom floors are normally all male to prevent rapists etc getting to the girls but in all the unis I saw it was never true. I was told that by someone about Cwrt Mawr but I was on the bottom floor along with the all girls corridor.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there aren't many all-one-sex flats. We can cope...

In my 10 person flat, they had two girls, two boys, two girls up and down the corridor.

ReputationRep:
    I was told Penbryn used to be all lads on the ground floor up until my year, I thought this was due to lack of demand for same-sex corridors more than anything. Was fairly mixed out of 22 of us, think slightly more male overall, and the same with the other floors too.

ReputationRep:
    I think the being nocturnal thing can become ruled by your timetable (if you go to lectures of course) as I had 4 9am starts in the first semester and 3 in the second. So I pretty much had to go to bed quite early if I wanted to make it to my lectures, although there where times when you go out on the nights mid week and then just nap during the day inbetween lectures. But I find I was more nocturnal at weekends, on several occasions not going to sleep till it became light after you end up talking from a night out. Guess it depends on how much sleep you require to function too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    In my 10 person flat, they had two girls, two boys, two girls up and down the corridor.
    We had girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, kitchen :p:

Though we did have a girls toilet and a boys toilet :p:

ReputationRep:
    My first flat was (going from lowest number to highest) - girl, guy, girl, guy, guy, guy (me), girl (although she moved out and another guy moved in), guy.

Second flat was - guy, girl, guy, guy (me), girl, girl, girl, girl. All the guys were on one side in my last flat lol.

ReputationRep:
    We had girl boy girl boy all around the flat. It was quite nice really

ReputationRep:
    Mine was boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, girl.. we were rather out numbered!

ReputationRep:
    There were only 6 of you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    There were only 6 of you??
    She was probably in PJM...

I was in Rosser both times btw in case my post was misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Nah, LLauren was CwrtMawr)

As for the nocturnal thing, I only had two mornings in a week - other days I could stay up til 5am. Although, that said I have stayed awake through and gone to my seminars after a long night.

Never missed one seminar!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was in Cwrt Mawr. In one of the newly converted blocks that used to be Penbryn. Our floor had 6 rooms because of the warden. The rest had 7 or 8.

I had morning lectures (9/10 a.m.) pretty much everyday but still stayed up until at least 3 in the mornings and managed to make nearly every lecture. Just sleep after (or during if you're unluckly lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopylauren)
    Yeah I was in Cwrt Mawr. In one of the newly converted blocks that used to be Penbryn. Our floor had 6 rooms because of the warden. The rest had 7 or 8.

I had morning lectures (9/10 a.m.) pretty much everyday but still stayed up until at least 3 in the mornings and managed to make nearly every lecture. Just sleep after (or during if you're unluckly lol)
    Were you block N then? Someone I knew lived with the warden - Gareth? Crazy curly hair and a tweed jacket? lol. Strange boy....

I was in M, another converted Penbryn one, and my flat was on the bottom, 4other girls, all of them were Malaysian bar me. Yup, that was fun...

Most of my mates lived at PJM or Panty anyway.

I'd say Cwrt Mawr is a good mix, there were odd nights which were crazily loud but my block seemed on the most part quiet. Would have liked a bit more going on tbh but like I said I made friends elsewhere and that means you get to go home to a nice quiet flat when the party's over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodyslittlepumpkin)
    Were you block N then? Someone I knew lived with the warden - Gareth? Crazy curly hair and a tweed jacket? lol. Strange boy....

I was in M, another converted Penbryn one, and my flat was on the bottom, 4other girls, all of them were Malaysian bar me. Yup, that was fun...

Most of my mates lived at PJM or Panty anyway.

I'd say Cwrt Mawr is a good mix, there were odd nights which were crazily loud but my block seemed on the most part quiet. Would have liked a bit more going on tbh but like I said I made friends elsewhere and that means you get to go home to a nice quiet flat when the party's over
    Yeah I was in N. Same flat as Gareth funnily enough! He was strange, we didn't get on too well. He stole all our food and used all our stuff without washing up/asking.

I know a couple of people from the top floor of M, they have a couple of Malaysians on their floor as well. So did I. I think all the Malaysians were in block N and M and PJM.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he was a weird one. I helped him clear out his room when he moved down town and got so frigging angry, took us 2 days the guy had thousands of CDs.

The warden seemed decent enough though he was always in the launderette at same time heh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Rhys is a nice enough guy, never really saw him though.

I can't believe you helped Gareth move out his stuff! No-one else in the flat even knew he was moving until the cleaners were vacuuming his room lol. As you can tell I didn't really talk to any of my flatmates. Only one of them really. All my mates were upstairs so I practically lived up there.

ReputationRep:
    It's usually okay. Cwrt Mawr is without a doubt the best halls for your first year, though.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.