Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    MrsIpod has aids.
    Has there ver been a reference to AIDs on Hollyoaks before, just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    Hollyoaks makes being a chav look so cool. I mean the show teaches you how to lay about doing nothing, except getting pissed, having sex or doing some drugs. Its an ace guide to being a chav, except without the fashion and dress sense.
    Don't forget pissing yourself on the drug of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the__billy)
    Has there ver been a reference to AIDs on Hollyoaks before, just out of interest.
    Yes, when somones (unknown to them) long lost half brother injected her with heroine, she had to get checked for AIDs...

ReputationRep:
    You joking?

I watched Hollyoaks this afternoon. What did I learn? Here we go: -

- It is NOT normal to be having your best mate's dad's baby. (Who knew???:eek:)
    - Heroin is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.
    - Cheating on your exams is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.
    - Abusive boyfriends are SCARY.
    - It's possible to locate hair extensions so long that I have to be careful I don't pee on them.
    - Women steal money.

All things I already knew, and wasn't exactly planning on doing any time soon. Hollyoaks taught me **** all. Unless I was wanting to locate the most inappropriate person in the 'village' to knock me up. In which case, it's like Encyclopaedia Britannica.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when somones (unknown to them) long lost half brother injected her with heroine, she had to get checked for AIDs...
    lol. What a storyline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the__billy)
    lol. What a storyline.
    Ah haha hollyoaks is good, you should watch it.
    you'll be educated. maybe solve world peace?!

ReputationRep:
    it taught me that incest is bad. a little too late though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsIpod)
    you are all obviously too shallow to gain anything from it

and may ialso take this chance to congradulate jakes portrayal of a mentally ill patient, i think he did the part justice and it was handled sensitively.
    1. Please explain how I'm shallow by not taking all of moral teachings from a TV programme?

I'd like to see you explain that

I think it's the other way around myself....

2. Jake is the character, not the actor.

3. I've seen worse potrayls. If we are gong to discuss the potrayl of mental illness in soaps then this is probably one of the better examples. Neighbours have been terrible with their potrayl of mental illness in the past.

4. It's debatable that this potrayl is sensitive. True, the audience is left with some sympathy/pity. I don't feel there's any real empathy there though. He's been involved in attemped rape, assault, kidnap and GBH/attempted murder of his son. Yet again it seems that most mentally ill people are violent (there are few, if any, charcters with mental illness that are shown to be non-violent. Most with mental illness are non-voilent but, while they still keep being portayed as the opposite, soaps will have no credibility).

Until soaps start to sympathetically and realistically portray mental illness then they will have no credibility and respect from me.

Perhaps Hollyoaks have done this in the past, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    MrsIpod has aids.
    er i dont think she has.

i know her quite well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hollyoaks is a good soap but i dont get any moral values from it!
    x

ReputationRep:
    i know her quite well.
    maybe not enough....

ReputationRep:
    -doesn't watch TV-

Seems boring.

ReputationRep:
    after reading this thread on a friends user i had to join the student room.

i am in total agreement with Love Is Blonde
    how can no one else see that life values can be learnt by simply watching hollyoaks...
    Many of the decisions that i make i do so after watching an episode with similar problems.

thankyou Love Is Blonde for proving im not the only one.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty_Penguin)
    after reading this thread on a friends user i had to join the student room.

i am in total agreement with Love Is Blonde
    how can no one else see that life values can be learnt by simply watching hollyoaks...
    Many of the decisions that i make i do so after watching an episode with similar problems.

thankyou Love Is Blonde for proving im not the only one.
    xx
    :troll:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.