The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Once or twice when I've 'work up' there's been the hag. The first time that happened I just paniced. I'd been dreaming about being chased and I could seem to run, it was like running through treacle. Then I just went completely paralysed and I freaked out.
I didn't realise it happened more when sleeping on your back. I move around alot in my sleep anyway, so I usually end up on my back.
Thankfully it hasn't happened in a while (just wait, it'll happen tonight) but I still get abit scared before going to sleep that it'll happen.
mitsabeeba
that's scary as hell. do you see the hag lady walking over to you? ive seen documentaries about s.paralysis and they mentioned this hag vision.. and some people see her standing at the other end of the room and then walk over to their bed.. freaky

it's weird how none of these hallucinations are anything good..always something sinister.. always made me wonder whether sleep paralysis is something alot deeper than what we assume..

Sometimes she just pops up and othe times I see her come over. I remember after the first few times I wouldn't go to bed for weeks, I'm used to it now but it's still incredibly scary. Although, now I know what it is I just say to myself 'it's okay, you'll wake up in a minute' lol.
Reply 22
I had it for the first time the other night...scared me half to death - literally. I couldn't move or anything..but then i managed to get myself back to sleep and then back up again.

It felt very very strange.
I'm absolutely terrified of getting this..

I hear you don't get it if you sleep on your stomach, which is what I do.
Reply 24
Yeah I get this. First time was horrible, I wanted to scream but couldn't. Now I'm just like 'ah **** not again, meh I'll just go back to sleep'.
My friend gets it every month or so.
Reply 26
I used to get that- scared the crap out of me- cause I didn't know what it was. I couldn't move my body at all, and felt like i couldn't breath.
It's not a nice feeling, at all
Reply 27
Inconceivable
I get sleep paralysis and have done for quite a long time. It's really scary when it happens, even though I know what it is.

I get the 'old hag' too, it's ****ing terrifying. I feel like there's someone/thing in my room but can't move or scream. Then the 'hag' comes and sits on my chest, it's really vivid and feels so real. Sometimes I can move but there's a delay, so I try and put my lamp on but I don't move until a few seconds after I try. Does that make sense?

I find not sleeping on my back helps.

Oh gosh I've read about the 'old hag' phemomenon before and I'm so glad that I don't seem to get that type of hallucination. I'm a really spritiual and superstitious person so that would frighten the crap out of me, don't think I'd be able to sleep for days! I haven't ever had any visual hallucinations but I always hear really loud, whirring noises in my ears like people laughing or talking really quickly and thats what seems to start an episode off. And even though I don't see anything in the room with me, I get this undescribable fear, like I'm going to die but its made worse by the fact that I can't scream... ugh.. horrible!

Just out of interest, do you always get the 'old hag' or do you only sometimes get it when you're having a sleep paralysis episode, and is it actually a creature that you see and feel sitting on your chest??

Also, do you guys think its stress related? I've only started experiencing sleep paralysis in the last six months or so and I've been really stressed what with my grandad getting ill and dying, A2 exams, family ******* etc... I can't help but think its somehow related to that? After all it is filled with lots of negative energy...

Also, I feel silly for asking this but whats a lucid dream? Its not an OBE is it?
I think I have this quite often (this morning even), but with no hallucinations or anything like that.
It's like I'm still dreaming but of trying to wake up fully; it's not nice but I'm used to it.
Then again, what I have might be something different altogether.
Boo_2
Oh gosh I've read about the 'old hag' phemomenon before and I'm so glad that I don't seem to get that type of hallucination. I'm a really spritiual and superstitious person so that would frighten the crap out of me, don't think I'd be able to sleep for days! I haven't ever had any visual hallucinations but I always hear really loud, whirring noises in my ears like people laughing or talking really quickly and thats what seems to start an episode off. And even though I don't see anything in the room with me, I get this undescribable fear, like I'm going to die but its made worse by the fact that I can't scream... ugh.. horrible!

Just out of interest, do you always get the 'old hag' or do you only sometimes get it when you're having a sleep paralysis episode, and is it actually a creature that you see and feel sitting on your chest??

Also, do you guys think its stress related? I've only started experiencing sleep paralysis in the last six months or so and I've been really stressed what with my grandad getting ill and dying, A2 exams, family ******* etc... I can't help but think its somehow related to that? After all it is filled with lots of negative energy...

Also, I feel silly for asking this but whats a lucid dream? Its not an OBE is it?

do you sleep on your back?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6092471

some info if needed.

I always get it, at first i used to be ***t scared, but now i get annoyed when i get it, and just try my hardest to wake myself up.
Reply 31
Artemidoros.
do you sleep on your back?

No, almost never, I don't find it comfortable for sleeping. Also I remember last night I tried switching the sides I was lying on in case that was anything to do with it, but it wasn't, so I must have been lying on either my left or right side.. In fact I can actually remember the wall that I was looking at during one episode so I must have been lying on my left side.
Boo_2

It is very very scary even now after having it for years. The first time I got it I wouldn't go to sleep in my bed for weeks, I'd try and stay awake.

I don't always get the hag thank God, sometimes there's just the feeling that there's someone/thing there but I don't see anything. Sometimes there's footsteps and occasionally even strange smells. When the hag appears she sits on my chest and leans into my face, her face is so detailed and I can feel pressure on my chest.
Reply 33
Boo_2

A lucid dream is when you realise that you are dreaming, and you regain control of your own actions, which are usually on automatic pilot when you are in a normal dream, and you can control the direction the dream takes and the scenery etc. (when it happens to me it is sudden like ohshi- this is a dream!, but I have read that you can be like it from the start, and I know that I have had it before when I have woken up and gone back to sleep)
Reply 34
Hey look what I found on that last link someone posted:

"There may be a real – if low-risk – threat, however. Some scientists are now hypothesising that a very rare fatal condition known as Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (SUNDS) may be associated with sleep paralysis. SUNDS, which is genetically and functionally identical to the Brugada Syndrome, is characterised by abnormal cardiogram and death by ventricular fibrillation10; it has been proposed that death is caused by extreme muscle atonia during sleep paralysis, which causes even cardiac muscles and the diaphragm to paralyse."

We are all doomed!!!!!!

Lol.
Reply 35
Artemidoros.

I hear you don't get it if you sleep on your stomach, which is what I do.

Doesn't that hurt? I can't do that, for reasons that I had assumed that other guys would understand.
Reply 36
I had this once. I was staying at my ex bfs house and he had left for work, and I wasn't sure if he'd locked the door or not so that was in the back of my mind. Then I thought my eyes were open and I saw someone at the doorway but I couldn't move. Then I shook myself awake and was totally shaking. I hope that doesn't happen again.
Reply 37
Haha I've been reading through this and I'm paranoid its going to happen again tonight!

Its not related, but has anyone had a nightmare about being killed? I had one a few weeks ago, it was dead freaky, there was this house in the woods where a witch lived. Yadda yadda yadda anyway, she stabbed me in the stomach twice. The second time, my stomach was really sore and I woke up suddenly. It felt like something had been pushing on right in the place I'd been stabbed. It felt like that for a while. And again, I wouldn't go back to sleep again.
beccaarr
Its not related, but has anyone had a nightmare about being killed? I had one a few weeks ago, it was dead freaky, there was this house in the woods where a witch lived. Yadda yadda yadda anyway, she stabbed me in the stomach twice. The second time, my stomach was really sore and I woke up suddenly. It felt like something had been pushing on right in the place I'd been stabbed. It felt like that for a while. And again, I wouldn't go back to sleep again.

I've had quite a few dreams over the years where I get killed; they've never been nightmares though, just a bit weird (to say the least).
Reply 39
Inconceivable
I get sleep paralysis and have done for quite a long time. It's really scary when it happens, even though I know what it is.

I get the 'old hag' too, it's ****ing terrifying. I feel like there's someone/thing in my room but can't move or scream. Then the 'hag' comes and sits on my chest, it's really vivid and feels so real. Sometimes I can move but there's a delay, so I try and put my lamp on but I don't move until a few seconds after I try. Does that make sense?

I find not sleeping on my back helps.

Omg that sounds scary :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending