Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    My teacher said to focus revision on the topics which didn't come up. I think that would be:
    The electric motor
    The generator
    Satellites
    The birth and death of a star
    Circular motion
    Diagrams for concave/convex mirrors
    Refraction
    Magnification

That's just a guess though.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by trance addict)
    it was a decentish paper.. you just had to remember al ot of the facts from the book, some of the questions were really stupid though (typical aqa though eh?)
    I thought it was bloody difficult. I bet this one is going to be even harder.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't any question worth 7 marks. I thought the max was 5 but that was until i did the bio paper last last week - it had 6 marks question.

Anyway the answer to your question is because for a coil to keep rotating in one direction, the current has to be reversed, thus the current used is A.C. The brush is a conductor attached with the slip ring which is also a conductor and is connected to the coil. The brush is connected to circuit, thus the force produced by the rotation of the coil forces the electrons in the circuit to move, thus creating an A.C. generator (a flow of electrons).

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    Yeah, they have given you the formula for the transformer question, and that was the only calculation on the paper. If you have a browse through the specification, you'll find the only formulas you need to know how to manipulate are the magnification one and this transformer one.
    Magnification= Image height/Object height
    Transformer one= Vp/Vs=Np/Ns
    Thanks phew....have you looked at that website...antonine-eduation....should i just ignore it? x

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, no wonder. This thread is about P3 AQA and I'm doing edexcel360 :p:!
    :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by indie_couture)
    Thanks phew....have you looked at that website...antonine-eduation....should i just ignore it? x
    I've looked at it. It seems to be a bit more in depth than we need. I'd just focus on the things in the Nelson Thornes textbook if you have it? That's what I'm doing.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at it. It seems to be a bit more in depth than we need. I'd just focus on the things in the Nelson Thornes textbook if you have it? That's what I'm doing.
    Ok ...im going to go and do some now! o how was textiles? xxxxxxxx
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Ok ...im going to go and do some now! o how was textiles? xxxxxxxx
    I don't do textiles!

ReputationRep:
    My Physics teacher rang up AQA (our school's pretty weird, they seem to call up the exam boards to enquire/complain at any given chance) and they said from now on you will always be given the formulae. =)
    Actually it kinda annoyed me because I'd had to learn it all for P2 but ah well.
    Ooh I really don't like generators =/
    Good Luck everyone! =) x
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    There isn't any question worth 7 marks. I thought the max was 5 but that was until i did the bio paper last last week - it had 6 marks question.

Anyway the answer to your question is because for a coil to keep rotating in one direction, the current has to be reversed, thus the current used is A.C. The brush is a conductor attached with the slip ring which is also a conductor and is connected to the coil. The brush is connected to circuit, thus the force produced by the rotation of the coil forces the electrons in the circuit to move, thus creating an A.C. generator (a flow of electrons).

Hope it helps
    Thank you! I will remember to rep you tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I don't do textiles!
    o i thought you'd made a post the other day about the exam!
    sorry..... x
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    o i thought you'd made a post the other day about the exam!
    sorry..... x
    Haha, it's fine no worries!

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the information - if you compare the paper to the text book - does it contain everything you need to know though?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    Okay thanks for the information - if you compare the paper to the text book - does it contain everything you need to know though?
    I'd say no, but I'm biased. I hate Physics, and don't understand it. It did contain most things, but there was a question "Explain the advantages of having a National grid system", and I don't think the book explains that. Also the questions, with reference to a transformer: "Why is insulated wire, and not uninsulated wire, used to make the coils?" and "Why is the core made of iron?" aren't explained the textbook. Apart from those 3 questions (worth 4 marks altogether) the rest is explained in the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no, but I'm biased. I hate Physics, and don't understand it. It did contain most things, but there was a question "Explain the advantages of having a National grid system", and I don't think the book explains that. Also the questions, with reference to a transformer: "Why is insulated wire, and not uninsulated wire, used to make the coils?" and "Why is the core made of iron?" aren't explained the textbook. Apart from those 3 questions (worth 4 marks altogether) the rest is explained in the textbook.
    why dont you understand it ?

1. national grid system allows power to be drawn from anywhere
    2. insulated wire is used because the coil is made of conductive metal, and we don't want it to conduct the induced current
    3. the core is made of iron because it is a conductive material

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's not in the specification too I don't see how they can ask!

Ahhh I'm scared for this exam now - haven't actually started revision yet, meant to do unit 2 first!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

2. insulated wire is used because the coil is made of conductive metal, and we don't want it to conduct the induced current
    The last two are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The last two are wrong.
    oops, 3rd one is magnetic*

2nd answer was a bit waffily too, in the test i wrote "so the coil does not conduct any electricity"

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I will remember to rep you tomorrow
    Your welcome and thank you too. If there is any doubts on any Science or Math question than ask me

ReputationRep:

Nope. advantage of national grid system is because it is very efficient since the voltage is very high and the current is significantly low. Heat produced is less so there is less waste energy. Thus, less power cuts etc

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.