Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wont as theres no such thing as a selfless act, I would help out if truly needed but not if expected of me, if I hear bout how someone is dying and in need of help id offer an organ or blood but to do so just to help something that doesnt have any respect for me as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StotheL)
    I signed up online months ago and received my donor card last week, I can't even remember why I did it, but anyway, is anyone else a donor?

If you aren't a donor then why? My reasons are, I'm healthy and young, and if something happens to me I'd rather help someone out when I'm gone..meh, it's not like my body can be used for anything else then...

You can sign up here

https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do
    I can't because I am a gay and obviously have HIV. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am. I've agreed to donate everything apart from my corneas. Can't completely explain why, but I just don't feel comfortable with it. If any other organs can be used to save somebody's life, they're more than welcome to them. Ultimately the decision would rest with the next of kin but I've discussed it with my parents and although neither of them are registered themselves they said that they would respect my wishes. I don't always have the card on me but I'm on the register and if I was in an accident and had my purse etc on me, I think it's on my Boots card and driving license! I think it's an amazing gift really.. imagine losing your loved one but being able to hear their heart beat in someone else? It's a difficult time but to know that you may have prevented another family suffering a loss I think would be a huge comfort.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, signed up years ago.

I'm atheist, won't need them when I'm 6 feet under

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    Me too... I only just remember that I sent the form off, actually. I also donated my friend's eyeballs for her, because she didn't want someone else to have them, but she wouldn't post it herself. So I ticked it off and posted it for her .

Do you mean that your friend doesn't want to donate her eyeballs, but you sent off the form and ticked that she'd agree to donate them? If so, I think that's an appalling thing to do, you have absolutely no right to give even provisional consent on her behalf. It should be an individual thing and if somebody feels strongly enough that they wouldn't donate, that is their individual wish and it should be respected. It's part of the reason I support the opt-out scheme. It pushes people to consider their feelings on the issue and if they feel very strongly against it for whatever reason that may be, then it's easy and won't be a big deal for them to make the effort to opt out. (I would personally opt to not donate my cornea).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyblueeyes)
    Do you mean that your friend doesn't want to donate her eyeballs, but you sent off the form and ticked that she'd agree to donate them? If so, I think that's an appalling thing to do, you have absolutely no right to give even provisional consent on her behalf. It should be an individual thing and if somebody feels strongly enough that they wouldn't donate, that is their individual wish and it should be respected. It's part of the reason I support the opt-out scheme. It pushes people to consider their feelings on the issue and if they feel very strongly against it for whatever reason that may be, then it's easy and won't be a big deal for them to make the effort to opt out. (I would personally opt to not donate my cornea).
    I gave her the option first. I told her she can post it herself, but if she asks me to, I'll tick it off.

She risked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    I gave her the option first. I told her she can post it herself, but if she asks me to, I'll tick it off.

She risked it.

I still think it's wrong to do so, I'd be quite pee'd off if my friend did that to me. She may have reasons for not wanting to do it and may still be deciding whether organ donation is something she's comfortable with. It wasn't a straight/immediate decision for me and I think everybody should put thought in to it. She may feel like she'd want to but isn't totally sure of what happens, the procedures, what parts they actually take (eg she thinks they take your eyeballs when they actually just remove the cornea). I think providing her with the information and saying that it's an important thing to give consideration to would be more effective than signing her up without her proper consent. Whilst I think a lot more people should sign up for the organ donor register, I respect that people reserve the right to have a say on what is done with their body in the circumstance of their death and think it's very unethical to sign up somebody who hasn't given their consent. She may have reasons that she hasn't signed up herself yet (obviously she's thought about it a little if it's come up in discussion between you) and even if you don't think her reasons are valid, they are her reasons (and her body) nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyblueeyes)
    I still think it's wrong to do so, I'd be quite pee'd off if my friend did that to me. She may have reasons for not wanting to do it and may still be deciding whether organ donation is something she's comfortable with. It wasn't a straight/immediate decision for me and I think everybody should put thought in to it. She may feel like she'd want to but isn't totally sure of what happens, the procedures, what parts they actually take (eg she thinks they take your eyeballs when they actually just remove the cornea). I think providing her with the information and saying that it's an important thing to give consideration to would be more effective than signing her up without her proper consent. Whilst I think a lot more people should sign up for the organ donor register, I respect that people reserve the right to have a say on what is done with their body in the circumstance of their death and think it's very unethical to sign up somebody who hasn't given their consent. She may have reasons that she hasn't signed up herself yet (obviously she's thought about it a little if it's come up in discussion between you) and even if you don't think her reasons are valid, they are her reasons (and her body) nonetheless.
    Err, she made the decision herself. If she was going to be too bothered about it, I wouldn't have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    Err, she made the decision herself. If she was going to be too bothered about it, I wouldn't have done it.
    Oh right, sorry, I thought you'd meant that she hadn't wanted you to do it but you did it anyway! Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant.

ReputationRep:
    I will donate anything possible.. and i want the rest used for some bizarre artwork or something. AWESOME.

ReputationRep:
    Done! All my body is fair game.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, i signed up last week and got that card a few days later. I don't understand why some people are so against it tbh.

They should make it so you have to opt out of being a donor rather than opt in, cos loads of people aren't signed up just out of pure laziness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I can't because I am a gay and obviously have HIV. :rolleyes:
    Looking at the website being gay doesn't stop you donating organs, just blood and even then only if you are sexually active

ReputationRep:
    what's with the eye thing people?

tbh that was also my first reaction but from what i understand (or wanted to understand) the bit they take is only the same bit they play with during laser eye surgery, and I felt a little squeamish about it, the small inconvenience it may cause me when dead will be greatly offset by the benefit of someone being able to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Yea, i signed up last week and got that card a few days later. I don't understand why some people are so against it tbh.

They should make it so you have to opt out of being a donor rather than opt in, cos loads of people aren't signed up just out of pure laziness.
    I know, I agree with you. I can understand some people opting out of being a donor due to health problems, or religion or something, but otherwise I think it's awful.
    Think about it, if you were lying on your death bed and needed a heart, you would want one right? I mean, you're going to be dead, I can't see you using your body for much unless you plan on fertilising the soil or some rubbish, which in itself is rather worrying that someone would want to do that with their remains..

My dad has had a heart attack before, and I know if for some reason he needed a new heart, and couldn't get one, I don't know what I would do, if I lost him I'd be heartbroken, he's my father and I know if someone else where in that position, I would not wish any pain upon them, so it's only right to help others when you're gone, it's just the right thing to do.

I think I'm going to start giving blood, I've had blood samples taken before, so I reckon it should be ok. Giving bone marrow or something like that would be amazing, to help save someones life, but it'd restrict me from doing normal things right now ie. exams, but it'd be a wonderful thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not registered, and I won't until I manage to decide whether I want my organs donated or not. I just can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I'm not registered, and I won't until I manage to decide whether I want my organs donated or not. I just can't decide.
    What's stopping you from deciding?

I'm pretty sure i'm a donor on my driving licence but I applied for a card just incase. I also can't really fathom why some people would refuse to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I am
    I was a bit wierd about my corneas too, not sure why though. I ticked it anyway because i'm gonna be dead, so why should I care lol?

ReputationRep:
    Im on the register, and have been since I was about 7/8 I. As such I have 3 cards including one of the swanky original plastic ones.

When I die I want absolutley every single thing that can be of any use at all used & taken. Organs they can take, corneas, if they can use skin for anything as far as im concerned they can skin me and take it all, if they can use my bones take my bones. I want all of it gone and used for something. Whatever is left can be donated to medical/scientific research and when they are done with it, incinerate whats left.

Ive never been squeamish or sentimental about things like this or in any doubt at all as to what I want done with my body when I die. As far as im concerned im dead- I dont believe in an afterlife or anything like that so id rather any little bit of me that could be of use was used than just letting it fester and rot away somewhere when it could have saved a life.

Ultimatly, if myself or anyone I knew was in need of an organ id want and hope that there was one available. As such I dont for a second believe that id be entitled to take an organ myself if I wasnt prepared to also give my own. I have absolutley no respect for anyone who would take an organ but wont agree to give theirs.
    For that same reason, I am also a blood doner and am on the bone marrow registry & wouldnt have it any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    What's stopping you from deciding?
    I don't know, I just can't make an actual decision.

On the one hand, I don't want my body to be cut up and used. I just don't. It's mine, and it's very important to me. It IS me. I can't separate my dead body with my live body. It's the most personal thing about me. All of my experiences have been lived through it, and everyone who's ever known me has known me through that. I just find the idea of it being whole after I die and all the parts decomposing in the earth together beautiful, and the natural course of events after my death.

On the other hand, life is very important to me - being able to experience things, live life to the full and being grateful for it. I can't think of anyone who would be more thankful for the chance to live their lives than someone who has been saved from dying. Giving someone that chance through my own death is also a beautiful thought.

When I start to lean more one way than the other, I become unsure again quite quickly because I think of the other side.

From being a very young child and first learning this was a possibility, I've wanted to be an organ donour. But I've grown up since then and questioned a lot of morals, as everyone does, and the way I think now is completely different from then. So it's not like I'm against donating - cause I always thought I would.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.