Turn on thread page Beta

he doesnt want to be our relationship on facebook watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Some people just aren't comfortable with telling people they hardly know about their personal lives. Maybe he's afraid that an old friend will tell you something embarrasing about him for a joke, and you won't like him after that. Guys get paranoid about those kinds of things, they have a distant voice in their head saying "why is she going out with me? She's a much better person than me, without dodgy habits and weird obsessions!"

(Original post by Reue)
    I once set my facebook relationship status to 'Open Relationship'...

My GF was not impressed:

http://photos-640.ll.facebook.com/ph...04683_4120.jpg
    Weren't you gay at one point?

ReputationRep:
    id be slightly frustrated, but maybe he's scared other girls won't talk to him as much if they know he's not single anymore... the only reason i can think of

or he's just simply embarrassed and doesnt want his friends to see, or something?

anyway if he's 100% happy with u i reckon he should just put "in a relationship..." i mean, come on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't display my relationship status on facebook no matter how long I've been with someone

It says I'm married to my best friend which is jokes and kinda true and I wouldn't just change it cuz I was seeing some guy ... I think thats stupid and also a bit like shoving my best mate out of the way

Besides imagine the horror when you end it and its right up there on the news feed for the entire world of FB to see ... it takes a min and everyone's like omg did you see, they totally ended it, blah blah blah

And I've got some of my family members on FB and even though all of them are on my super private limited profile which is limited in every sense, I still don't like taking chances and letting them know my business. My aunt saw me hugging a guy and she freaked out :eek:

So quit worrying, unless you feel like you have something to worry about...if not then facebook should definitely not be a definition of your relationship, besides most people are annoyed with people who publicize their relationships on FB, if its just the status thing its not too bad but when their entire page is plastered with pictures of them eating each other's face...it just makes it so much worse [and slightly more entertaining for everyone else] when that relationship ends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    Weren't you gay at one point?
    Nope, just had an anti-homophobia poster on my sig. You can still be straight and against homophobia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheer Up Charlie)
    So basically, its ok for guys to not say there in a relationship and let people belive there single?
    Ok fair enough, but as long as it says that he is "in a relationship" I don't see a problem with not saying specifically with whom. If you have to question your boyfriend to that extent, then he's probably not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    IMO i would be p*ssed off it it said "single" especially if it had been a year and if he uses Facebook regularly, however if it just said no relationship status atall but when he was single it said "single" i would be annoyed and would suspect he is embarressed to say.
    I know its only Facebook but still you can tell alot from how people use it

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, its facebook not myspace or whatever, most of the people on your facebook will be youur work mates, school friends and whatever, no one really has strangers on their facebook cause the site just doesn't work that way.

if you don't feel comfortable with these people knowing you're in a relationship, then you're probably embarrassed or don't want to be in it

(Original post by Reue)
    Nope, just had an anti-homophobia poster on my sig. You can still be straight and against homophobia
    lol

Oh, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eMJaaay♥)
    I don't display my relationship status on facebook no matter how long I've been with someone

It says I'm married to my best friend which is jokes and kinda true and I wouldn't just change it cuz I was seeing some guy ... I think thats stupid and also a bit like shoving my best mate out of the way

Besides imagine the horror when you end it and its right up there on the news feed for the entire world of FB to see ... it takes a min and everyone's like omg did you see, they totally ended it, blah blah blah

And I've got some of my family members on FB and even though all of them are on my super private limited profile which is limited in every sense, I still don't like taking chances and letting them know my business. My aunt saw me hugging a guy and she freaked out :eek:

So quit worrying, unless you feel like you have something to worry about...if not then facebook should definitely not be a definition of your relationship, besides most people are annoyed with people who publicize their relationships on FB, if its just the status thing its not too bad but when their entire page is plastered with pictures of them eating each other's face...it just makes it so much worse [and slightly more entertaining for everyone else] when that relationship ends!
    Lol, you're "kind of married" :eek:

My facebook status has never actually been on there whether I was in a relationship or not... I have my brothers on there and can do without them knowing stuff. Although saying that, I'm tagged in some pictures that would lead me not to being all innocence, oh well. *shrug*

If it bothers you, tell him.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's it, your relationship is doomed.

Seriously though, everybody who's saying that your boyfriend wants other girls to know he's single are over speculation. C'mon, it's the Internet, it doesn't mean it isn't official if it isn't confirmed on Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    my bf thankfully doesnt have facebook yet he still wants to no who my friends are if they are boys on facebook. i suppose it all bows down to trust. if you trust your bf then you shouldnt worry, maybe he just doesnt want to broadcast your relationship to the entire world, i understand that you are troubled by this i wud be too!! but just play it cool and casual act like you dont care and to make him jealous why dont you take off your relationship status to annoy him and add more lads and talk to thm?? that wud make him think a bit. if he questions you about this them play him at his own game your perfectly allowed to do this!! he doesnt think there is a problem!!
    hope this helps xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Lol, you're "kind of married" :eek:
    Lol yes :p: I've always had it like that though cuz I mean we are actually kinda married...I think, I dunno, everyone says we are loool

ReputationRep:
    Well if it his relationship status says 'single' and he refuses to change it, then yeah I'd be frustrated. He should be proud to be with you, eh, relationships..

ReputationRep:
    hes blatantly playing around with you, id say hes shagged around 14 girls in the last year

he isnt listed as single.. he is infact engaged to one of his firends
    but it didnt used to bother me... but we went through a bit of a rough patch so now it does, and i just dont get why he wants the illusion of being single.

i've told him it would mean so much to me if he changed it.. he said its not a big deal thou.. if its not a big deal why cant u cahnge it then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    he isnt listed as single.. he is infact engaged to one of his firends
    but it didnt used to bother me... but we went through a bit of a rough patch so now it does, and i just dont get why he wants the illusion of being single.

i've told him it would mean so much to me if he changed it.. he said its not a big deal thou.. if its not a big deal why cant u cahnge it then?
    But how is he portraying an image of him being single if it says hes engaged to a friend?

well hes not actually saying hes not single.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think thats what she means. i understand that he is probably saying he is engaged to one of his friends but is he dong this so he doesnt have to say he is in a relationship with you?? i think you need to really discuss this with him and if he is not prepared to change this to make you happy ((which he should do if he truly cares)) then maybe you should think about if you really wanna be with him. you are clearly not embarrased about portraying your realtionship so why should he be?? there may be something bothering him. if he still declines what you want then your better than that, move on and find someone who respects your relationship and wishes. x

ReputationRep:
    But if it says hes engaged = not single? why is it bothering you so much? are there any underlying reasons, like is he flirty, not very committed, etc?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.