Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    can i make a tasteless joke?
    i wanna hear it too

ReputationRep:
    providing you suck at *something* well, forget about the ability to deliver when it comes to small-talk...

:cool:

save the applause guys, i'm shy :rolleyes:

the sad thing was...i hoped no one would make that joke when i wrote the title :p:

ReputationRep:
    dammit, wish i had seen that joke myself...

ReputationRep:
    ha im bad at small talk toooo its always soo awkard its like ermm soo ....

"uk"
    yeh you"
    "yeh"

n then questions are repeated like 10 times and i always say im soo tired when theres nothing else to say or say something reli embarasing about myself ! ... but thats only with peopel i dont really know !

ReputationRep:
    Go up and grab his...... attention!

i could! he's hot enough

ReputationRep:
    I sooo wish your that hot girl who gives me cheeky looks at work!

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like when I started work and I was on some shifts with a really nice guy. Turned out he had a girlfriend.. disappointing lol they were together 2 years at that point! I found out when I added him to bebo a few weeks after we started working together and since then I tried to take my mind of liking him which was hard. To be honest, I'd still be interested if he split with her at this point about 9 months on from then lol. I find it really easy to chat to all other colleagues but with him I tried to avoid becoming too friendly with him after I found out he had a gf that I now find it harder to make conversations with him than anyone else. But once we start it goes really good. I used to catch him looking at me and stuff when we started working there so don't rely on that as a sign of interest because he couldn't have been if he was in a serious relationship.

Anyway, with people in work that I dont know that well or just generally want to make conversations with I usually just ask them things such as..

'how many hours do you do a week?'
    'how long have you worked here?'
    'whens your next shift here?'
    'what you up to tonight?'
    'has it been busy today?'

Just anything at all! Sometimes I do say 'urgh this shift is dragging!' but like you said its best not to be negative all the time. I only say that if it really has been a bad one! Once you ask one question the conversation should flow from there.

sorry guys but can i bump this? need some more ideas!

ReputationRep:
    well why not do the easy way in trick
    you. hey, do you have a pen i could borrow, god im so busy must have left mine upstairs
    him. tell me about it
    you.sex
    him.what
    you.i said thanks
    him. oh, ok
    you. but really, sex, right here right now

ok, seriously, just be yourself because every situation is different

good luck

LOL brilliant

ReputationRep:
    just, like other people said, go ''what hours you doing'', ''how long you worked here''. Thats sure to get a sense of conversation going and lead on from there. Just don't forget your serving customers. lol

ReputationRep:
    Crack a few jokes to break the ice as well. Failing that, go up to him and ask if he's Jamaican, he will probably say why to which you reply, "'cos Jamaican me crazy." Also, generally, just smile, makes you seem more approachable.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.