Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On Friday, there was a man on the tube asking for money and he said that he had nothing. (I'm sure he was wearing some expensive clothes though) I gave him nothing, claiming to have no change on me. (which I didn't)

A few weeks ago, there were some charity people for Help The Aged in the shopping centre.The man who stopped me won't leave me alone - bearing in mind, it was raining and I had no coat on me. Eventually, I gave in. Never doing that again.

I will sponsor friends for charity.

ReputationRep:
    I'll sponsor friends for any charity and will often donate money to any cancer charities/the hospitals where me and my brother were treated/heart charities because they've done so much for me and my family. I also recently organised a charity event and within the last 2 weeks have donated about £20 all in all. However, I'm not a regular donator and don't often buy things from charity shops so I could help a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    I give £1 a week to the dogs trust
    Ill stick pennies/change in charity boxes by the tills in the shops occassionally too, always give to aids and animal charities if I know they are legit. At schoo I always did the sponsored things aswell, but dont really do anything like that these days but will sponsor others.

Also buy things from charity shops but thats about it really. Although im considering volunteering for the PDSA if I can find a job and fit it around the working hours Ill have.

Although knowing full well it was a con I gave £1 to some foreign woman before because she was pestering me, following me around with a clip board and pointing out how all the previous people had apparently handed over £20, £50 to her and so on :rolleyes: does anyone actually fall for that? In the end I gave her £1 to get rid of her. It was £1 or a punch. I went with the £1.

ReputationRep:
    I give a bit of money to two charities monthly. I tend not to give money to beggars or people on the street with clipboards.

ReputationRep:
    I cant afford to give money to any charity... however i do volunteer at a human/animal rights community centre, and Oxfam. I also do my bit by avoiding companies and products who's policies i dont agree with... and i wont have anything to do with the military or any religious body. I dont buy Big Issues or give cash to people on the street.. though i have often bought them coffee/hot food in the winter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ntraband)
    What have kids with leukaemia ever done for me?
    That is a joke, right?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't usually give buskers any money, but if they're good and I'm in a good mood then sometimes I do. I support 'poppy day' and stuff like that, and donate to Comic Relief and Children in Need each time

ReputationRep:
    I like to think I'm fairly charitable but I always think I can do more. Never have had much money growing up, and my student loan is the most money I have ever had and we all know its still not vast amounts. My mum firmly drilled into me there is always someone worse off than you and even though I didn't have many toys/clothes/stuff, I had to give things away whenever I got something new. Its a lesson that has stuck with me.

If there is a charity box in a shop I give away most of my change - someone else needs it more than I need a takeaway coffee or a pint. I also donate money to Oxfam and WaterAid and occasionally Redcross. I always like giving the RNLI money (they give me a sticker) because there truly is no other government funded service doing their work and its fairly worthwhile work at that. I also support poppy appeal and veteran charities cos a lot of my family are veterans (whether you believe in war or not, the vets still get hung out to dry).

Every Saturday and Sunday I get off the bus after work outside a Tesco Express. There is always one or more people sat outside asking for change. I always go in and its at the time they are reducing everything, and I buy a couple of quids worth of sandwiches, fruit, bread, whatevers going and give them a bag of groceries. Its a couple of quid to me ( I mean seriously, how quickly can you spend a tenner with little thought?), and a meal to them.

I don't think I do enough though and sometimes I feel bad that I don't give to UK charities like Children in Need cos I feel ones like WaterAid which truly provide what I think is human's most basic need are more important. Although giving child carer's time off is important, I think giving people clean water and stopping preventable deaths from water borne diseases and diarrhoea is more important.

Sorry for an essay. I think charity is really important unless you are completely destitute. If you can't give money give time.

ReputationRep:
    Last week I decided to sponser a friend whos doing a sponsered walk for our local cancer care unit; and while I was at it I thought I may aswel give money to something I care more about, so I donated 15 pounds to the BUAV.

If there are people on the street with money tins I usually give money if its an animal charity, and if not I tend to avoid eye contact and press on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give to beggars/homeless ppl/etc, but if they e.g. sell a magazine, I almost always buy it from them. When ppl come up to me from a charity thing, I give, but I do not give monthly or something. Friends who do sponsor races I help to sponsor. That pretty much it though.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could say im fairly charitable. I split over 40 quid a month direct debit to 3 different charities (Oxfam, St Christophers Hospice, and Cancer Research) Then just sponsored a couple of mates that ran in race4life recently a tenner each. I also give scroungy b*****ds a couple of my loose POUND change. I dnt exactly know why im doing it, knowing how chuggers earns up to £8quid an hr + bonus... and im a student!!

ReputationRep:
    I paint walls in African schools during my gap year

ReputationRep:
    I give money to all cancer charities, hospices, homeless charities, genetic disease charities, erm...red cross, all those things that help people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I paint walls in African schools during my gap year
    :rofl:

Extracting money from me - you'll have better luck draining blood from rocks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally very selfish and avoid being generous at all costs.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.