Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    dont, be strong and proactive, take your mind of it, if need be ice can be usefull

i hope u are okay

i have experience with this and its important to really think carefull about things

pm if need be ill talk, im friendlyish :p:

or ring samaritans if everything else fails

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyZ)
    Is that code for wtf, or something?

No cereously. You get a good pan top and you don't need cymbals.
    No it wasn't. What you said made me laugh.

In all seriousness though, it is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhyZ)
    Is that code for wtf, or something?

No cereously. You get a good pan top and you don't need cymbals.
    no..red pen was a suggestion to the op.

and I can't help but say.. *seriously.

ReputationRep:
    You need too ask yourself this question

do you NEED too, or do you want too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    no..red pen was a suggestion to the op.

and I can't help but say.. *seriously.
    ...It was a casual attempt at lightening the mood of this thread somewhat. I can spell perfectly well.

And see if elastic bands work for you OP

ReputationRep:
    Ice and lots of it. get a bowl, fill with cold water and ice cubes and immerse your hands in it until they are cold cold cold. Then wrap them in a towel. repeat as necessary but don't leave your hands in too long. Try your feet as well/instead of hands.

elastic bands as said before.

get a piece of paper/laptop and write. Not conscious writing. complete train of thought, as things come to your head writing, as if you are writing down exactly what is going through your head. This can go on for hours and keeps you busy. Keep or delete. Delete may be cathartic, keep may help you reflect on triggers.

Its a shame you can't go out of the house. Its really useful even just to walk around because well, its more difficult to self harm outside unless you plan in advance. It helps get rid of the trapped feeling you get just before you want to s/h. try opening the windows, let in the fresh air, put on some music, and observe the outside. Notice things. Takes your mind off your own worries.

Hope you feel better soon.

thank you everyone for all your suggestions and ideas, and just general support, it really means a lot to me

as of yet, i havent done it, so i just want to say thanks

ReputationRep:
    I fid flicking a haribobble on my wrist helps, flick the metal bit on where you want to SI, it hurts and makes a raised mark like with a cut but its gone in a few hours

ReputationRep:
    Well done for not doing anything yet. I know it can be really hard to stop yourself sometimes. If you can talk to someone (PM me if you want) then that would be good or if not distract yourself by doing something else. The ideas about red pen and ice are good as well. Also, if you have red nail varnish, paint that on yourself. Writing your feelings down can help as well. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You need something to think about, and whenever you start to feel that you need to cut yourself, you instantly go and do that thing to take your mind off the cutting.

Doesn't matter what it is, could be a little dance move. Could be press-ups. Could be video-games. Could be looking through my amazingly witty TSR posts (or maybe not...)

ReputationRep:
    Smoke a cig. Much better than cutting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Local_United_Fan)
    Smoke a cig. Much better than cutting.
    Not really. It just causes long term damage and is just as addictive.

ReputationRep:
    Go to sleep, that'll stop the urge. You can't hurt yourself if you're in bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    Good point actually. I always find that helps. The only problem is whether or not I can get to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura25)
    :ditto:

(Original post by Thud)
    can never sleep....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    can never sleep....
    Have you tried listening to relaxation music? I find that listening to relaxation music at night and putting lavender oil on my pillow can really help. Also a glass of milk and getting all the thoughts out my head by writing them down. If not, I don't know whether it would help you but once I'm in bed I don't want to get out so I put my blades the other end of the room so I can't reach them.

ReputationRep:
    sleeping pills?

Open your window so it's cold then snuggle under your blanket and like laura said put the blades somewhere inconvienient then you wont want to get out of bed for them.

ReputationRep:
    Distract yourself, somehow. Please don't do this. You can cry if it helps. Talk to someone. Start a diary. Go watch your favourite movie/tv show. Also try a hobby. An idea for the future:
    Keep a diary of all your happy moments. Update it everytime something good happens. Whenever you're feeling down, go back and read them. It should make you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura25)
    :rolleyes: So lame.

I guarantee you smoking cigs is less harmful then self harm. I smoke like 5 a day thats really not going to do any damage long term.

Don't believe all that propoganda they tell you on the news.

Oh I thought of a better solution; find the root of the problem and try and change it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.