Turn on thread page Beta

What's worst - human trafficking or polluting the environment? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is worst - human trafficking or polluting the environment?
    Human Trafficking
    72.00%
    Polluting the Environment/Climate Change
    28.00%

ReputationRep:
    I'm passionate about both, but definately human trafficking. I watched a programme on it, it was awful! Kids as young as 5!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Why do people care about the environment here?
    Perhaps because our brains are large enough to comprehend complex issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dealbreaker)
    I'm passionate about both
    Haha, so am I - I love nothing more than trafficking humans then polluting the environment. Always in that order!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dealbreaker)
    Herein lies the difficulty in choosing the more worthy cause to support.
    Not really.

I'd rather support a cause that is likely to stop the suffering of 6.whatever billion people than the how many hundred thousand/million, who knows, who have been sold into slavery.

I mean, both are bad, but the environment is a lot more affecting of everyone than human trafficking and prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stadev)
    Haha, so am I - I love nothing more than trafficking humans then polluting the environment. Always in that order!
    You know what I meant!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care much for the environment. Sorry, can't change the way I feel.
    I think when you become an environmental refugee, and there's sea water lapping around your angles you won't be saying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Perhaps because our brains are large enough to comprehend complex issues.
    If you weren't so quick to criticize. You'd realise that the question is actually more complicated than a basic statement. =.=

ReputationRep:
    Why do people care about the environment here?
    Oh lord...

They are totally different things to compare but, I'd have to say polluting the environment.. not that i agree with human trafficking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximald)
    I think when you become an environmental refugee, and there's sea water lapping around your angles you won't be saying that.
    Perhaps. But that still won't change the fact that I don't really care much for the environment now. I'm a human person rather than a nature person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murr)
    Human trafficking is more urgent, in the sense that the effects of global warming are long-term. It's not killing anyone yet (aside from its contrribution to hazards and storms, but I'm fairly certain they would occur anyway).

Human trafficking.
    I will use exactly the same statement as I did for a previous post: Hooray for simplistic interpretations of very serious problems! It's like not bothering to take the trouble to deactivate a time bomb when there's still enough time left on the clock because "It's not killing anyone yet". But then the timer gets to 5 seconds to go and you suddenly realise it's actually going to blow up, but you don't have time to deactivate it any more.

Once we get to the point where climate change is having a very large negative impact globally (arguably there are large effects already, though) we will have passed the point of no return. But of course most people are far too stupid to understand the concept of doing something now to prevent disaster in the future, because they won't care about an issue unless you shove some sad footage of people being affected by it accompanied by tearjerking music and a distressing voice-over in their faces. Maybe if we mocked up a video of penguins spontaneously catching fire they'd start caring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowberg)
    Not really.

I'd rather support a cause that is likely to stop the suffering of 6.whatever billion people than the how many hundred thousand/million, who knows, who have been sold into slavery.

I mean, both are bad, but the environment is a lot more affecting of everyone than human trafficking and prostitution.
    But how can you be sure that your initiatives to tackle climate change/reduce pollution will ultimately be effective?

What's troubling me about climate change initiatives is that the issues do not point to solutions that would clearly have a tangible impact. There are enormous political and practical problems. While this would suggest we should in fact make more effort, I don't think I will see the impact of my work in my lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison267)
    Oh lord...

They are totally different things to compare but, I'd have to say polluting the environment.. not that i agree with human trafficking.
    Well...?

I'm all for sustainable development but that doesn't exactly mean that I care for the environment. People have different reasons.

Want a simple example?

Some care about the environment due to the desire to perserve nature. Others care about it because it impacts others.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the very worst is smuggling people in an inefficient truck? Just no reasoning with some people!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps. But that still won't change the fact that I don't really care much for the environment now. I'm a human person rather than a nature person.
    Im sorry to be blunt here, but you just don't you get it do you... you just can't foresee the future beyond 5 seconds in front of your eyes.

PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE as a result of our actions, you say your a 'human person', I doubt that severely, you are just a selfish person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximald)
    Im sorry to be blunt here, but you just don't you get it do you... you just can't foresee the future beyond 5 seconds in front of your eyes.

PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE as a result of our actions, you say your a 'human person', I doubt that severely, you are just a selfish person.
    Dude. I said I don't care about the environment.

I didn't say that I won't do things that will help the environment. If you actually bothered reading my posts, it'd be simple maths that if I cared about society I'd be participating in such acts.

PS. Thanks for the insult.

ReputationRep:
    Human Traffiking. More can be done for it, as far as I can tell, it is a very immediate problem - what is the point of just looking ahead to possible environmental problems, when people are suffering in the here and now?

Efforts by people in this country, recycling and such, are great, but aren't really going to affect the environment all that much. For significant change to take place, large industrial producers, like America, China and India, are going to have to do something about their emissions and effect on the environment. What can we really do?

There's also a suspicious amount of propaganda surrounding climate change, I (personally) wouldn't be prepared to rally around a cause that I didn't feel I fully understood.

ReputationRep:
    I recently attended a climate change conference in Manchester and I just got annoyed all day. The people were so self-righteous - I asked this one "expert" how he could justify flying around to spread the word of climate change and he was stumped. And he'd said that we needed to stop building new houses, but when I asked him how we'd cope with the growing population, not to mention increasing immigration, he just said 'Sorry, I can't answer that!'
    The reason I refuse to support the cause is that the people who run the campaigns (ie Bono and Bob Geldof) annoy the hell out of me. I'm stubborn

ReputationRep:
    Dude. I said I don't care about the environment.

I didn't say that I won't do things that will help the environment. If you actually bothered reading my posts, it'd be simple maths that if I cared about society I'd be participating in such acts.

PS. Thanks for the insult.

I just don't understand your position, and sorry for the insult i just get passionate about environmental issues

Seriously this is open to anyone who wants to answer here, if you 'against' the environment, why?

ReputationRep:
    Well...?

I'm all for sustainable development but that doesn't exactly mean that I care for the environment. People have different reasons.

Want a simple example?

Some care about the environment due to the desire to perserve nature. Others care about it because it impacts others.

Why do i care about the environment?!
    because i want to preserve our landscapes, habitats and the lifestyle which we lead. so others will still be able to see what i see now, in the future. If we can use alternative energy sources which don't hav a negative impact on the environment, surely this is a positive thing?
    Sustainable development will lead to a better environment and potential a better lifestyle for ourselves.
    The affects on climate change will dramatically affect everyone although these occurances are naturally suppose to happen, the extrematy of what will happen isn't due to nature alone, therefore we should try to prevent them from occuring?!

It's clear you don't have a passion for the environment which is your personal choice, but saying that you don't care about it, is slightly ignorant. As the impact on the changes which will occur, will most definatly affect you any everyone around you.

excuse my poor spelling and grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I will use exactly the same statement as I did for a previous post: Hooray for simplistic interpretations of very serious problems! It's like not bothering to take the trouble to deactivate a time bomb when there's still enough time left on the clock because "It's not killing anyone yet". But then the timer gets to 5 seconds to go and you suddenly realise it's actually going to blow up, but you don't have time to deactivate it any more.

Once we get to the point where climate change is having a very large negative impact globally (arguably there are large effects already, though) we will have passed the point of no return. But of course most people are far too stupid to understand the concept of doing something now to prevent disaster in the future, because they won't care about an issue unless you shove some sad footage of people being affected by it accompanied by tearjerking music and a distressing voice-over in their faces. Maybe if we mocked up a video of penguins spontaneously catching fire they'd start caring.
    To use yet another stupid analogy: If the bomb's about to go off in 30 seconds and your mother is being raped behind you, you stab the rapist first and then dismantle the bomb.

I am not at all ignorant of climate change and its effects, and I'm not suggesting we sit about waiting until it gets bad. The OP is asking which he should be involved in, and on such a small scale (yes, one person), I think human trafficking is somewhere he could perhaps make a difference. Global warming - which is a bigger problem - I think the government should stop worrying about votes and start coming up with policies.

Don't insult me; its merely an opinion. I'm not going to imply that you don't see human trafficking as a problem just because you voted differently.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.