Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)
    All she'll get by starting a new thread is "noooooooo curves are great" "nooooooooo i hate fatties" "noooooooo i wish i was skinny" etc etc ad infinitum. Then there will be a fight, and someone will close the thread.
    And that would be me, so I thought I'd nip it in the bud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    That is because they undergo resistance training, eat lots of protein and calories, etc to build muscle. Whereas most chicks go to the gym to become cardio bunnies, they go on the cross trainer for 4 hours (burning lots of calories) yet don't normally get much protein in their diet, so while they lose fat, they also lose muscle. For men the social pressure is to be big and muscle bound, for women it is simply to lose weight, whether it be muscle or fat and be thin.

If you exercise and eat right you can put on muscle and lose fat, it is up to you.
    There are social pressures for men - however i feel that the majority of men are mentally strong enough - they dont feel the need to do things because society tells them to, we do them because we want to do them. Me and my friends go to the gym 1/2 a week - we work out to get fitter for sport etc because we want to - we dont work out to look better. I run a lot - i exercise a lot - i do these because i enjoy them - not because i feel that i have to conform to societys standards.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's terrible that people think it's ok to call skinny people 'disgusting', but would never say the same about a fat person. But it comes down to jealousy. Even though some people may not like skinny figures, everyone would rather be skinny than fat. The 'ideal' for a lot of people may be curvy like Kelly Brook or Scarlett Johanson, but if the choice was between being skinny or being fat, then most people would rather be skinny. That's where the jealousy comes from OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    I think it's terrible that people think it's ok to call skinny people 'disgusting', but would never say the same about a fat person. But it comes down to jealousy. Even though some people may not like skinny figures, everyone would rather be skinny than fat. The 'ideal' for a lot of people may be curvy like Kelly Brook or Scarlett Johanson, but if the choice was between being skinny or being fat, then most people would rather be skinny. That's where the jealousy comes from OP.
    Well i know both skinny and fat people that yes, i would describe as disgusting, but then there are other slimmer or slightly larger girls that are quite hot, it isn't clear cut and it isn't because of jealousy, it's genuinely because they're scary looking. There is one girl at my gym who's elbows are probably the biggest part in her arm and the spinous processes on her cervical vertebrae protrude (to the extent that you can count them) when she slightly bends her neck, she is genuinely disgusting (well in my eyes), and could do with putting on at least a couple of stone (and it is perfectly achievable with cutting back on the hours of exercise she does daily and eating significantly more).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with Jennifer_l85, there's nothing wrong with being skinny like there's nothing wrong with being fat. I'd only say it's bad if you are obviously starving yourself and working out far too much. There were a couple of girls who did this at my school, the first one was originally a size 16 she said, although I never thought she looked it, but she's like 6foot tall. And by the end of 6th form I kid you not, she was a size 6. She DID look disgusting. And it's because she just WASN'T meant to be that small she looked like she was going to snap in half it was erally upsetting seeing her like that but she's better now which is good. The second girl is naturally small, like 5 foot 4, but she runs a few miles every day to stay a tiny size and eats one slice of bread folded over or two crackers for her lunch with some veggies/fruit. So I have a feeling her size isn't "natural" either, not that she would be big either way cos she's got a small frame... when it comes down to it what I'm saying is, if you look healthy and you are not going against what your body says to look a certain way, then that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love-Is-Blonde)
    The whole size zero thing does my head in but for a different reason. Im naturally slim and cant stand it when people think i do it on purpose or want to look this way.

I cant help that i have a high metabolism rate. I eat like a pig and it does nothing. But i think theres far too much negativity now towards girls who are slim and it does my head in!

Anyone else agree?
    I can relate. I'm sick of the "do you shop at Baby Gap?" comments!

However, since I know I'm not unhealthy, I try not to care, and focus on the fact that I do get sufficient nutrition, and that I don't look emaciated. So it's ok. And I remind myself that a lot of the people that criticise/insult me because I'm slim, are just projecting their own insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    Thyroid disorders are fairly common. I have hypothyroidism, though I am underweight, my sister has it too, so do 2 of my friends, another friend's mam etc, and I know a good few who have hyperthyroidism. If anyone eats a lot and never gains weight, or gains weight for no reason, or suffers any of the other symptoms related to either thyroid disorder- should get the blood test done, if even for peace of mind.

I went through the 'omg you're so skinny' thing all through school, a fair few 'skinny *****' etc comments, but uni seems more accepting or something. I HATE the fact that someone will always point out to you that you're skinny, as if you needed to be reminded, but would never point out to someone's face that they've obese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love-Is-Blonde)
    Anyone else agree?
    Hell yes!!!

I wish people would stop accusing me of having an eating disorder! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .k.m.)
    I agree, i think it's totally unfair that people will assume that just because you are thin you must be starving yourself or unhealthy.
    People feeel it's ok to point out how "skinny" you are though when they would never dream of pointing out how fat a fat person is. It's just rude. lol
    i agree i can fit into size 0 easy and ive never done any weird diets or anything its just the size ive been all me life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    I can relate. I'm sick of the "do you shop at Baby Gap?" comments!
    funnily enough i do buy children's clothes occassionally from 915 at New Look and H&M - they're cheaper!!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    when they would never dream of pointing out how fat a fat person is. It's just rude.
    A lot of people on this forum do point out how fat a fat person is, and laugh... It's hard on fat people too, you know

ReputationRep:
    yeah being skinny isnt good, being thin is.
    there is a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    funnily enough i do buy children's clothes occassionally from 915 at New Look and H&M - they're cheaper!!
    xxx
    same as pretty much all my jeans come from H&M childrens section!

it annoys me too. but if i'm honest i would far rather look like i do than any other way

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand it when curvy celebraties say "I want to get slim, but I totally don't agree with the whole size zero thing" and then what do you know soon enough they are a size 0. It just paints a negative image of those who are naturally born like that.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's different sizes, so we should all stop worrying about size and worry about what is healthy first!!

Who wants a piece of pie?

ReputationRep:
    Pfff. You lot are all deluded. Now forgive me if i sound harsh but i think you all absolutely LOVE getting "skinny" comments. It is pretty much factual that skinny or thin is whats considered beautiful today, not "curves", and you all know that. Lets be honest, it is far, FAR harder being voluptuous or overweight in this day and age so stop playing victims.

ReputationRep:
    it's jealousy for the most part

and people get freaked out by the number zero. what's wrong with zero? fat people get size 30, 32 etc plus so why shouldn't thin people get small sizes? it's only fair!

it is kind of dumb how it is not right to call a fat person fat but it is alright to slate skinny people even though they may be naturally skinny.

i personally am a size 10ish, not a zero by any means, but my mum is very small and sometimes struggles get into a zero (as in, she's too small)--this is natural though. she eats a lot but doesn't like sweet things as she was brought up in asia and they didnt' eat chocolate, crisps etc. in bulk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Pfff. You lot are all deluded. Now forgive me if i sound harsh but i think you all absolutely LOVE getting "skinny" comments. It is pretty much factual that skinny or thin is whats considered beautiful today, not "curves", and you all know that. Lets be honest, it is far, FAR harder being voluptuous or overweight in this day and age so stop playing victims.
    It's not 'hard' being voluptuous, god knows i've done it for the past four years!!! If you have an ounce of self confidence and don't believe you are better or worse than anybody else , and don't believe that 'skinny is best', then it's not difficult at all. People seem to pity girls over size 8 by saying ..'you're not fat, you're curvy'. I don't care. I have boobs and hips, and I think my body is damn sexy, some of the time. Starving yourself to be skinny when you're not meant to be, because 'Skinny' is considered 'beautiful', is only done by people because they don't have anything else to make themselves feel beautiful. people like that need to wake up and smell the coffee and the cake. If you are skinny, if you are fat, who cares? at the end of the day....what does it matter? honestly.

sorry...bit of a rant there but i get annoyed about this!!

ReputationRep:
    How can you be a SIZE 0 :s: Do you live in America?

There's no such thing in the UK, the Media just use it to sound dramatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerww)
    There are social pressures for men - however i feel that the majority of men are mentally strong enough - they dont feel the need to do things because society tells them to, we do them because we want to do them. Me and my friends go to the gym 1/2 a week - we work out to get fitter for sport etc because we want to - we dont work out to look better. I run a lot - i exercise a lot - i do these because i enjoy them - not because i feel that i have to conform to societys standards.
    What the ****? Are you taking the piss?!

Of course there is more pressure on women to be thin, it's not because they're not as "mentally strong" :rolleyes: . We live in a society of fat older men telling women they need to thin.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.