Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    opportunities*

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of YGT or NAGTY, I don't think they have it where I live. Students who are gifted don't need as much encouragement to better themselves as students who are less gifted. I agree that the focus should be on struggling students. But I don't see how visiting museums and stuff like that offers encouragement anyway.

Also it seems that students can get on the program for any sort of gift or talent. Everyone has different strengths, so I don't see how students who are 'gifted' can be differentiated fairly from those who aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I wish scotland would do something like that. I always felt that scotlands emphasis on a broad curriculim - which in many ways is great - stopped them from taking pupils extremely talented in certian areas and really pushing them.

ReputationRep:
    We had it at my secondary school, and I think the way they decided eligibility was that anyone who got atleast 1 level 8 in their year 9 sats was given a place.

Personally I thought it was a pretty good idea. My school was terrible on the whole- had a GCSE pass rate well below the national average was on special measures and was (is) going steadily downhill. There wasnt much insentive to do well, much praise or encouragement for smarter kids because all the attention was focused on the delinquents who would go out of their way to cause havoc for the teachers. I dont remember once being told about university, ucas applcations or anything remotely academic for much of my time at secondary school. The only time the school were interested in people who did well is when they had visitors come in and they wished to parade them around as a token of how fantastic the school was. As I say, so much time and effort was spent managing the trouble makers.

It made a nice change to see the kids who were gifted and who had worked hard getting some acknowledgement and benefits for a change rather than giving it to all the naughty kids who would behave for one lesson and get smoke blown up their arse for it like sitting still for 1 hour was some kind of achievement :rolleyes:

I understand what youre saying, but I thought it was great. Maybe its because I was part of it though. I mean we never got trips to disneyland or anything like that but we did get taken to see the musical 'we will rock you' for a heavily discounted price (I think we were about 10 rows from the front and we paid about £8 for the tickets) thats all we ever had but even that one thing once was a nice gesture.

(Original post by louisedotcom)
    We had it at my secondary school, and I think the way they decided eligibility was that anyone who got atleast 1 level 8 in their year 9 sats was given a place.

Personally I thought it was a pretty good idea. My school was terrible on the whole- had a GCSE pass rate well below the national average was on special measures and was (is) going steadily downhill. There wasnt much insentive to do well, much praise or encouragement for smarter kids because all the attention was focused on the delinquents who would go out of their way to cause havoc for the teachers. I dont remember once being told about university, ucas applcations or anything remotely academic. As I say, so much time and effort was spent managing the trouble makers.

It made a nice change to see the kids who were gifted and who had worked hard getting some acknowledgement and benefits for a change rather than giving it to all the naughty kids who would behave for one lesson and get smoke blown up their arse for it like sitting still for 1 hour was some kind of achievement :rolleyes:

I understand what youre saying, but I thought it was great. Maybe its because I was part of it though.
    Sounds a bit like my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Does this take place in lots of schools?

I've only ever heard it mentioned on TSR. My school never did it maybe because it was a Grammar?
    My school did it and it was a grammar. It just meant that the teachers identified students who were "better than others" and marked their essays harder and expected more of them.

ReputationRep:
    lol..I reckon this "criticism" comes from jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    At my school there were quite a few people pencilled in for it.

But I only remember one trip, to oxford.

The only people who went were those who weren't already on the early outreach scheme run by sheffield Uni.

Seemed fair to me.

At college the ones on the list were the ones who got offered oxbridge info and summer schools. Nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    We had it at my school. I became a part of NAGTY. But except for 3 afterschool activity things, I don't think I participated. It was more for the younger years. Once you were in year 10, you weren't asked to participate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxCurly-TopxX)
    I was in NAGTY
    (National academy of Gifted and Talented Youth)
    whihc was pretty much bull

Im at a comprehensive and they deffinately don't do this system!

Yeah, same, nothing happened because of it, it's just another title to your name.

ReputationRep:
    I joined but there seemed very little point in it as who was invited to join at my school seemed to be entirely random

ReputationRep:
    My French teacher said we had a GAT program in school a few weeks ago and that I was on it, but we aren't told generally if we are on it nor does it mean anything. I think it must just be some requirement maybe, that they have to provide a list of "GAT" students to the council...? I'm not really sure

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, a 'Gifted and Talented' programme won't help me get my grades or help me get anywhere in life. I joined and then promptly forgot about it. My school didn't bring it up, they were too busy looking after the kids who couldn't scrape a C. Once you got above a C, you were screwed - they didn't want to know.

Anything to bring the average up, eh?

ReputationRep:
    In year 9 we had two G&T residential trips at our school, one to Kingswood and the other to the Lake District. cost us a total of £15 lol, but it was a) a reward for doing well, and b) fun and still slightly educational. Had never gone camping where we had to look after ourselves before, so learned a lot at the lake district... even if my RE teacher washed up for me

Was also in NAGTY, and went on a summer school last year. It made me love economics (something which I'm pretty sure my teacher wouldn't have been able to do! lol) and also changed my attitude towards school/6th form, I try a lot harder than I know I would've otherwise, being around people much smarter than me made me wanna learn more lol.

NAGTY to me was almost completely pointless until that summer school, apart form a trip to Warwick university where we made a shoe out of paper. Ok maybe that was pointless too, just a fun day going back to reception activities lol. But if you take the real opportunities, its worth it. Out of the four people on it in my year I was the only one who took any of the opportunities, the rest just ignored the letters... their loss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willenium)
    yeah, the grammar school i went to didn't do it, but i think that's because everyone there is gifted or talented
    Ditto.

In fact, our fifth set for GCSE Maths was notable in being the only one to sit the 'intermediate' tier paper.

ReputationRep:
    3 quarters of year 12 were put on the register for getting a certain GCSE point score, then the school ignored G&T for the rest of the year. I looked at the summer camps but most of the were booked or for 16 and under

ReputationRep:
    School put me forward for NAGTY, I had to fill out some form for it I think. Apart from the magazine they sent once in a while I had nothing more to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    They did this is my school I think years 8/9/10 well around that time.. I just remember being quite bitter at everyone going on trips/getting off lessons for the day while us stupid kids had to work...and I'm by no means stupid but they really had to rub your nose in it.. Also the people who really didn't want to be at school got army/building/vocational type trips and courses..I propose a reward for being average! We get no recognition for anything lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    I was in NAGTY...then it changed and I got a letter about it but I don't think it does anything :\
    I never did anything NAGTY related, I resent it I think its ridiculous, that message board was like "oh gosh its so nice to finally be able to talk to people like me" "it's so hard being gifted and talented"
    Get a grip..
    hah yeah, they were all like "its sooooo hard being so intelligent
    they called out the names of people in our school who were in it in assembly, hows that meant to make evryone else feel?

it shouldnt be called gifted and talented as it insinuates if you're not involved you are neither gifted or talented which isnt necessarily true

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the whole thing.

Our school did it, but it was more like I dunno oddly chosen. It's a bit of the kick in the teeth for those who work hard and are pushed to one side for someone's who is naturally better.

Communism is the best option.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.