Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't get that problem down here in the well-educated community of Portsmouth. Instead of assuming UCLAN (or even the actual UCL) people generally frown and hazard a guess "ah... is that.... university ... of central.... ..... uh.... luton?"

Then I'll say University College London and they'll pretend to be impressed because the only universities they know which are decent are Oxford, Cambridge and Exeter (so many people from here seem to go to Exeter!).

ReputationRep:
    Haha, my mum gets it mixed up with UCLA, so tells all her friends i'm going to UCLA.. not as bad as UCLan I suppose, but does mean some awkward moments when people ask how I'm going to adapt living abroad by myself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atoms4peace)
    I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Whenever people ask me where i'm going to uni and i tell them "ucl" they reply "ahh right uclan..cool."

I know its not a big deal but it really irritates me, considering that around these parts uclan is kind of considered a joke uni (only really because i live in preston myself so everyone seems to think it's pathetic to stay here for uni).

But i dont like saying "university college london" because it sounds pretentious. Does anyone else have this minor problem or is it just me?
    Haha, I was half tempted to post something like this a while back, but didnt want to offend!

I usually say UCL around people that I presume to know what it is...
    I really dont know why more people are not aware of it?!
    And yeah, the way I say it fully, it just takes too long, and I put on my "ucl" voice as it has been dubbed. So pretentious then yes!

Actually one of my tutors at college mistaken UCL for UCLan, I jumped in to correct her, with some look of disgust on my face, and she went off on one about being so defensive... :P

There is something about a prospective student / ucl student...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, plus I suppose its where you come from as well, living in the north west like yourself its quite a common misconception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MulderMan)
    Haha, I was half tempted to post something like this a while back, but didnt want to offend!

I usually say UCL around people that I presume to know what it is...
    I really dont know why more people are not aware of it?!
    And yeah, the way I say it fully, it just takes too long, and I put on my "ucl" voice as it has been dubbed. So pretentious then yes!

Actually one of my tutors at college mistaken UCL for UCLan, I jumped in to correct her, with some look of disgust on my face, and she went off on one about being so defensive... :P

There is something about a prospective student / ucl student...
    Really, anyone who thinks you mean "UCLan" when you say you're going to UCL is so dense that their opinion is rendered utterly meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    Preston has my memories there.

ReputationRep:
    hehe in belgium there is also a uni called UCL. stands for Université Catholique de Liege.
    some people thought i was going there, when in belgium i told them I was at UCL. hehe but then you just say, it's in London and 9th best in the world... you can't argue with that :P.

ReputationRep:
    Deary me - next you'll get that guy from the UCL vs Oxbridge thread saying UCLan is better than our UCL. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed with people who presume that because they've never heard of UCL, it must be a bad university. People always ask me where I'm going and either think I mean UCLA or give me a pitying look as if I'm going to a glorified college.

Of course, reputation isn't everything, but it frustrates me that no one's ever heard of it so ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Am I living in a different world where everyone has actually heard of UCL? Judging by the number of people on here who seem to be recounting tales of people they mention it to not knowing what it is, or mistaking it for somewhere else, it seems so.

I was under the impression it is rather a reputable institution.

ReputationRep:
    You're not living in a different world, you're living in London. So it's expected that people around you would know what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salain)
    You're not living in a different world, you're living in London. So it's expected that people around you would know what it is.
    Yes, but UCL is a rather fine institution. One would expect that people outside of this city might know a little about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy_J)
    Yes, but UCL is a rather fine institution. One would expect that people outside of this city might know a little about it.
    not necessarly. I'd never heard of it until i applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atoms4peace)
    I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Whenever people ask me where i'm going to uni and i tell them "ucl" they reply "ahh right uclan..cool."

I know its not a big deal but it really irritates me, considering that around these parts uclan is kind of considered a joke uni (only really because i live in preston myself so everyone seems to think it's pathetic to stay here for uni).

But i dont like saying "university college london" because it sounds pretentious. Does anyone else have this minor problem or is it just me?

YES! Aaargh. This really annoyed me in school when people asked me where i was going. I'd say 'UCL', they'd so 'oh preston with jake and dave?' (names changed but i assure you, they are utter wastes of space - should NOT be at university (one has already dropped out, the other is failing).

I would then say no, it's in london. They would then say, 'oh, is it a special medicine (or science) college? I've never heard of it.' Grrr...

I think it only annoyed me because i was v proud that i'd got in and when people were like 'preston, yeah?' i felt a little deflated. Oh well, i'm at the 9th best university on this entire planet!

ReputationRep:
    I have never had this before, although a few times people have said, 'Oh, in California?!'

Quite clearly no. But I don't really see why people get annoyed about it...

ReputationRep:
    To be expected given UCL is not a top UK institution. I've always heard of Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial though

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is, it comes just after the ones you named. High above lots of other uni's in the UK that everyone seems to have heard of.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i mean that people will have only heard of the best unis, after the aforementioned ones recognition drops steeply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popepius)
    sorry i mean that people will have only heard of the best unis, after the aforementioned ones recognition drops steeply.
    Who cares about what (ignorant) ppl like you think? One of the Nobel Prize winners for medicine in 2007 finished his PhD at UCL. So bugger off.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously you do if your replying defensively . Perhaps if you worked more laboriously then you could get the recognition you so crave for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2010
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.